SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new, handy, big bore: Marlin 1894 repair update
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new, handy, big bore: Marlin 1894 repair update Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
She' a beauty!

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I wish my Marlin had that checkering on the stock.
Too old or a cheaper model.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I wish my Marlin had that checkering on the stock.
Too old or a cheaper model.

Not cheaper, just manufactured differently. Do you have a cross bolt safety? If not, your Marlin is much more desirable than one that does. Even if it has the cbs, it is more desirable to collectors than the checkered stock version (barring special edition rifles of course). And a checkered JM Marlin is more desirable than a Remlin. Remlin checkering is pressed, not cut.

I love all my Marlins in all calibers and configurations. I’ll post up some pics tomorrow to show the differences. The only Remlin I own is a heavily customized 1895 45-70.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Remlin checkering is pressed, not cut.

It's cut. It may be pressed on some cheaper variants. But it is cut on walnut stocked Marlins.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Remlin checkering is pressed, not cut.

It's cut. It may be pressed on some cheaper variants. But it is cut on walnut stocked Marlins.

Unless it is something they’ve changed in the last 2 years, it is pressed on a big machine. Some turn out better than others but Remington changed the process to save money. With their financial issues of late, I cannot see them switching back.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Its cut on a computerized checkering machine. It's not pressed. They even advertise "cut checkering" on their website.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice stock!
And even in the photos, the so-called “checkering” produced by pressing that I have seen looks nothing like that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear Remington took care of you. I see a lot of hate directed at the new "Remlins", and while I have seen some bad ones, I have more personal experience with very nice ones...on par with or even nicer than my old JM stamped rifles. My buddy just got a "Remlin" 1894 in .357, and it feeds better than my JM stamped model from 1982, and has Ballard rifling.

I know a lot of folks don't care for the cross-bolt safety, but it's actually pretty functional, difficult to accidentally actuate, and less obtrusive than other designs (Rossi, I'm looking at you!). I love my old Marlins, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one today if I it was in a configuration I was looking for.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the cross bolt safety. I appreciate that it has a safety.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Big bore beauty- custom 1895G. Barrel was chopped and the sighted brake welded to OAL of 16.25”. Leupold VX-2 Scout Scope with QR rings sits on an XS Lever-rail. Action slicked and tuned. Finish is Duracoat matte black. I hate the ultra-proud wood of the forestock so I’ll probably slim it down. To add to the menace appeal, I’m planning to eventually do the stocks in a spray on truck liner finish.

For scale, here with my chopped 16” barrel 1894 .44mag.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll give credit where credit is due. And Marlin/Remington gets some today.

I sent my 1894 back to Marlin/Remington 3 weeks ago for a broken front forend screw. And the screw on the other side looked a little wonky, too. 3 weeks later I have my rifle back.

So, Marlin/Remington replaced the forend cap, and the screws - as requested.

Not requested, however... The lever looked a little wonky TO THEM, as did the stock. They replaced the lever. They also replaced the butt stock with gorgeous pieces of walnut. I did notice the checkering on the old buttstock was a little darker than the checkering on the forend, but it wasn't an issue to me. Now, I have a stock that not only looks better, the fit is better than it was before. The grain is amazing on the new stock.

And for some reason, they replaced the barrel. I asked them to check the front sight. So they fitted an brand new barrel.

I opened the box and immediately said, "that's not the same rifle." It looks way nicer, now.

They function checked it, too. And they must have function checked the heck out of it. There are multiple brass marks on the loading gate indicating they didn't just put one round through it.

In the Shotgun world that butt stock is a grade 4-5 hunk of wood and worth about 1200-1400 dollars. I would suggest buying a lottery ticket just to test and see if your luck is still running strong. BTW, those waves are called "Fiddleback" and you can guess where that originated.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no problem with the cross bolt safety. I appreciate that it has a safety.

I learned levers on my first 30 bore carbine, a Win 94.
I had a plug installed on the Marlin to REMOVE the safety. One mistaken application of said safety was one more than I cared for.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post