SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Beretta Gods smiled upon us! Some 1201 goodness inside...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Beretta Gods smiled upon us! Some 1201 goodness inside... Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by polyhedron88:
I noticed everyone is getting the M1 for their 1201 FP..... but there is an available 1301 version.

Will that NOT fit better than the M1 version?

Despite the similarity in naming, the 1201 and 1301 are not from the same "family".

The Beretta 1201 is basically a slightly modified Benelli M1. This is why many Benelli M1 parts, like stocks, safeties, bolts, charging handles, etc. will interchange.

The newer Beretta 1301 uses a completely different gas operating mechanism, and the receiver, fire control group, etc. are different as well. I have seen no indication that 1301 stocks and other parts are usable on the 1201.

quote:
I also saw a picture of the M1 version sticking out on the top...is that still an issue?

It varies from gun to gun. Some have a bit of a hump protruding above the receiver after the Mesa stock is installed. Some don't.

Mine does not, but there's an example earlier in this thread of one that does.

Even if yours does, it's just cosmetic.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the quick and helpful explanation.

It all makes sense now.....Im gonna order the M1 version now. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I noticed everyone is getting the M1 for their 1201 FP..... but there is an available 1301 version.

Will that NOT fit better than the M1 version?

Despite the similarity in naming, the 1201 and 1301 are not from the same "family".

The Beretta 1201 is basically a slightly modified Benelli M1. This is why many Benelli M1 parts, like stocks, safeties, bolts, charging handles, etc. will interchange.

The newer Beretta 1301 uses a completely different gas operating mechanism, and the receiver, fire control group, etc. are different as well. I have seen no indication that 1301 stocks and other parts are usable on the 1201.

quote:
I also saw a picture of the M1 version sticking out on the top...is that still an issue?

It varies from gun to gun. Some have a bit of a hump protruding above the receiver after the Mesa stock is installed. Some don't.

Mine does not, but there's an example earlier in this thread of one that does.

Even if yours does, it's just cosmetic.

Posts: 11 | Registered: August 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Rogue. I ended up getting one of these 1201’s as did my father, his friend from LE, and a friend of mine. I should have gotten a finders fee, lol. I also bought and installed a Mesa M1 stock following Rogue’s good advice and experience. A person that is OCD would say mine has a tiny rise to it but it’s fine as far as I’m concerned. We also sent the front sight blades off tO have new tritium lamps installed. Mine runs low and managed recoil 00 Buck and slugs like a starving man through bread. Not one hiccup running those rounds.

polyhedron88-kindly post some pictures of the Taran equipment installed once you’ve completed it. I have a Dave’s Metal Works oversized CH installed but have also been eyeing the Taran CH’s.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:

polyhedron88-kindly post some pictures of the Taran equipment installed once you’ve completed it. I have a Dave’s Metal Works oversized CH installed but have also been eyeing the Taran CH’s.

For sure...i ended up getting both the taran CH for M2 and the Safety.....and the mesa tactical urbino with limbsaver,cheek riser. Will see how it goes!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I forgot I had one of these.

I installed the Mesa stock on mine as well. Definite improvement.

Most of our parts from our Benelli M1 Super 90s fit.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
installed the Mesa tactical buttstock...it fit! it was slightly off.

i ordered the Taran Oversize charging handle but it seems like they sent over the wrong item coz it didnt fit. so i sent it back. Was thinking of going for the G&G one.

I got the Taran oversize Safety button, and will install that over the weekend.

i was wondering if this rail will fit the 1201?

https://www.mesatactical.com/p...2-tactical-4-in.html

quote:
quote:

For sure...i ended up getting both the taran CH for M2 and the Safety.....and the mesa tactical urbino with limbsaver,cheek riser. Will see how it goes!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe, if you had the top of the receiver drilled and tapped by a gunsmith. But it won't bolt directly onto your 1201FP as is, since unlike the M2 Tactical it doesn't already have threaded scope/rail mounts on top.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes...i will have a gunsmith drill it to my receiver. Just wonder if it will look integrated with nothing sticking out weird or extend out to the barrel area.

grrr...wonder why my photos are not displaying...

quote:
quote:

Maybe, if you had the top of the receiver drilled and tapped by a gunsmith. But it won't bolt directly onto your 1201FP as is, since unlike the M2 Tactical it doesn't already have threaded scope/rail mounts on top.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
i ordered the Taran Oversize charging handle but it seems like they sent over the wrong item coz it didnt fit.

I don't see a Benelli M1 charging handle offered by Taran. He offers M2 or M4.

Some, but not all, M2 charging handles are backwards compatible with the M1/1201FP. These will have a straight cylindrical post. Ones with a fatter hump towards the base of the extended handle portion are for M2s with the oval anti-rotation cutout on the bolt.

Compatible:

Not compatible:

Taran's M2 charging handle has the non-compatible hump for the oval-cut M2 bolts:

posted Hide Post
Yup...i learned the hard way. did not fit.

Darn...how did you get your photos to show up?? is there a size limit or something?

quote:
quote:
i ordered the Taran Oversize charging handle but it seems like they sent over the wrong item coz it didnt fit.

I don't see a Benelli M1 charging handle offered by Taran. He offers M2 or M4.

Some, but not all, M2 charging handles are backwards compatible with the M1/1201FP. These will have a straight cylindrical post. Ones with a fatter hump towards the base of the extended handle portion are for M2s with the oval anti-rotation cutout on the bolt.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You're trying to insert images using the address of the smugmug image webpage. You have to use the address of the image itself.

Instead of https://erickpangilinan.smugmu...n/n-kDXc2d/i-b6Jfs26 use https://photos.smugmug.com/Har.../XL/i-b6Jfs26-XL.jpg

You'll get:

posted Hide Post
ok..let me try.

quote:
You're trying to insert images using the address of the smugmug image webpage. You have to use the address of the image itself.

posted Hide Post
Thanks RogueJSK!

quote:

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if you’ve already done this or not or if it even makes much sense but have you tried loosening the stock bolt/nut a little and then push down on the front top of the stock to lessen the amount sticking up and then tighten it while keeping pressure downward? I reduced the amount sticking up on mine by doing so. Just a thought.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice....I will try...

gonna get it cerakoted, and install some optics... will update the pic when all that is done.

quote:
I don’t know if you’ve already done this or not or if it even makes much sense but have you tried loosening the stock bolt/nut a little and then push down on the front top of the stock to lessen the amount sticking up and then tighten it while keeping pressure downward? I reduced the amount sticking up on mine by doing so. Just a thought.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a source for an Armorers manual for these shotguns? I would like to do some maintenance.
If not, does anyone know where I might send a bolt for a rebuild? I would like to change out the springs and freshen it up.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you can source the bolt parts/springs yourself (Benelli M1 bolts and bolt parts drop in), I posted pages at the bottom of Page 3 of this thread that describe complete disassembly of the bolt.

As for an armorer's manual, I don't know of one available for the 1201FP, but the Benelli M1 one may be helpful for some tasks. The bolt group, recoil assembly, and fire control group of the 1201FP are copies of the M1's.

Any gunsmith familiar with the Benelli M1 should be able to work on your 1201FP bolt and fire control group.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I only have a pdf of the regular manual for the 1201. I will see if we have a copy of the Benelli armorer's manual at work. Our Benelli armorer retired long ago and I don't know if he took the stuff with him.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Changing the firing pin spring and the inertia spring are dead simple. Just like taking an AR bolt out of the bolt carrier.

Extractor spring a little less so, but not hard. Videos on Youtube.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem I had is with the trigger group pin.
On the 1201FP, there is a spring clip inside that retains the trigger group pin.
Apparently that retainer fell out the last time I cleaned the shotgun.
I later pulled it out of the cabinet, racked the bolt, and trigger group fell out...the pin fell out when I picked up the gun, I guess.
Luckily, I found the pin. Currently, it is installed with a little square of black repair tape on either side so I don’t lose it.
I haven’t been able to find or order the clip.

If you've never had a free lunch, you are'nt trying hard enough

Posts: 213 | Location: The North Coast of America, Southern Coast of Lake Erie | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post