SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Beretta Gods smiled upon us! Some 1201 goodness inside...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Beretta Gods smiled upon us! Some 1201 goodness inside... Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have spares to try out at work. I’m trying to find time to get out to my FFL.

I think Beretta sent me a photocopied manual years ago for the 1201. I will see if I can dig it up.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Many thanks! I’m printing that until I get a paper manual.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Anyone who does "race" work can modify your bolt to ghost load relatively cheap.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Okay, I think I'm finally happy with this setup (for now at least).

Additions:
-Mesa Tactical Benelli M1/M2 Urbino Stock with Limbsaver and Cheek Riser
-Mesa Tactical buttstock 6 shell holder
-Taran Tactical Benelli Mx extended safety
-Old style Beretta 1201 bolt (for ghost loading)
-Nordic Components Benelli Mx extended charging handle
-GG&G Benelli M2 light mount
-Inforce WMLx light
-VTAC sling

The only two pieces I'm not 100% happy with are the sling and the light mount.

The GG&G M2 light mount seems rather flimsy. And it stands off from the shotgun by about a half inch or more. As a result, I think that if it's banged around a bit, it will likely bend. I may still end up drilling and attaching a rail section to the handguard at some point.

I messed around with various side sling mounts, to try and get a sling to work with cross-chest carry. That's my preferred method for long gun carry, and how all the rest of my defensive rifles and shotguns are configured. Unfortunately, none of these setups really worked that well. So I ended up with a traditionally-mounted sling on the bottom. Not a huge deal, just slower to sling up if needed.

I've run a handful of shells through it for testing, but plan on taking it out in the next week or so to pattern it and see which loads it likes.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have an M1S90 sitting here, I'll pull both bolts this week and see if they match up if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have a question about the "ghost loading" of the extra shell. I understand how it can be loaded that way, but how does it function properly when shooting? What prevents the action from trying to load a shell from the magazine when that first round is fired?

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I have a question about the "ghost loading" of the extra shell. I understand how it can be loaded that way, but how does it function properly when shooting? What prevents the action from trying to load a shell from the magazine when that first round is fired?

I don't know exactly how it works, but it does function properly when shooting.

There must be some sort of interrupter in the loading system, that is able to recognize when a shell is sitting on the lifter so it doesn't try to feed another.

It's the same as when you load up the chamber and the magazine tube, then depress the tab in front of the trigger guard to advance a shell onto the lifter. But while that method results in the tube now holding one less than capacity, "ghost loading" allows you to have a shell on the lifter while still having a completely full tube.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Did your Urbino mount up flush without any further work?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes. Bolted directly in place of the factory stock. No other work needed.

Unlike the one shown by Rawny on Page 2, mine doesn't even have the slight "lip" on the top, where the stock meets the receiver. It's a flush fit on mine.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Our Benellis at work are old enough that we can ghost load.
Policy won’t let us keep one chambered while in the car so it’s only one in the drop and five in the tube (ours are 14”). But if I pull it out for a call, I’ll load it at 5+1+1.

And thanks to Rogue for making me spend more money on a gun I haven’t even picked up yet. Just ordered the six shell holder for the stock.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Rogue-

Mine is like yours: 5+1 and new style bolt. Care to share where you got the old style bolt and and the price?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yes. Bolted directly in place of the factory stock. No other work needed.

Unlike the one shown by Rawny on Page 2, mine doesn't even have the slight "lip" on the top, where the stock meets the receiver. It's a flush fit on mine.
Oh yeah?! Well mine can go 6+1+1. Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
And thanks to Rogue for making me spend more money on a gun I haven’t even picked up yet.

Always happy to help spend someone else's money. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Rogue-

Mine is like yours: 5+1 and new style bolt. Care to share where you got the old style bolt and and the price?

Email sent. It was $45. (But there's only one left...)

If you can't get an old style bolt at a reasonable price, there are other options. As cas mentioned, a gunsmith or someone who's handy with a grinder and polisher can grind/smooth out of half circle cutout to allow for ghost loading.

Another option is to weld up the cutout and smooth it out.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Did you find the cheek riser necessary to get a good line on the sights?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's fine without the riser. It's best with the riser. (Keep in mind, that's for my head shape/size. YMMV.)

The thing is, if you get the version with the riser, you can leave it off if you don't want it. Buy if you get the version without the riser, you cannot add it later.

The two versions differ in that the riser version is scalloped and has tabs on either side that the riser slides onto, and the buttpad backer is wider in order to retain the riser and keep it from sliding rearward.

So unless you have the chance to try one out beforehand, and know for sure that you don't want/need the riser, it's best to get the version with the riser just in case.

Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
FYI...there's some information from 2010-2011 over on Shotgunworld that's pretty useful including on how to remove the magazine tube. Apparently it's held on with industrial thread locker, but can be over come by heating.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My bolt arrived today. Wouldn't you just know it: they sent me the new style.
Damn.

We'll see if I can return it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely request to return it, since that's not what was pictured. Mine was the old style.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
They're looking for the correct one. They promised to do the right thing. I will report back with an outcome.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Update: they didn't have the bolt pictured. They sent me a refund.
Maybe I will try the above tricks, with a grinder.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli