SIGforum
6.5 Grendel Uppers/Barrels

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1430003054

December 01, 2018, 11:05 AM
SummersAtTheLake
6.5 Grendel Uppers/Barrels
I picked up a couple of PSA 5.56 complete uppers and lowers on black Friday deals and considering using one of the lowers to mate with a 6.5 Grendel upper.
My use would be punching paper and possibly deer hunting and I already have several AR's and AK's.
I'm considering 18-20" barrels and right now PSA, Bear Creek (yes I know about a bunch of bad reviews),Anderson....any others to consider? I'm on the low end of quality and would like to stay under $400.00 for the complete upper.
December 01, 2018, 11:29 AM
Il Cattivo
FWIW, Anderson seems to have been making them longer than the other two.
December 02, 2018, 02:27 AM
92fstech
I have a Bear Creek Grendel barrel...can't get it to group better than 2" at 100 yards...and it opens up even further as it warms up. For what I paid for it, I wasn't expecting perfection, but even with low expectations I've been underwhelmed. I'm probably going to replace it with a Faxon one of these days when I have some spare change and get around to it.
December 02, 2018, 05:24 AM
Jelly
You can get a very good Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel in 6.5 Grendel Recon Tactical 16", 1-8 Twist Stainless on sale now for $233.71.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/M...nfo/TR-65GRCMG16RT8/
December 02, 2018, 06:04 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
I've not built a 6.5 Grendal...but I have used the Ballistic Advantage Premium Series .223 Wylde barrel in one...it is my most accurate rifle...

These folks show a 20" in stock at $225 (price will show when added to cart) along with free shipping...I've purchased quite a lot of BA and AERO stuff from them in the past when they were Monmouth Reloading and have been pleased with them...

https://www.armorally.com/shop...eries-20-dmr-barrel/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
December 02, 2018, 09:02 AM
badcopnodonut!!
Avoid Bear Creek barrels. I do however own a couple of their side charging uppers that have been excellent.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.
December 02, 2018, 10:06 AM
SummersAtTheLake
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m probably going to jump in on the lower end of the 6.5 uppers to see if I actually enjoy shooting that caliber...got enough long guns in my safe that I never use now.
I am also considering adding my first supressor but that would be down the road a ways.

Do 6.5 Grendel run Wolf steel?
December 02, 2018, 11:18 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I'm on the low end of quality and would like to stay under $400.00 for the complete upper.

With that budget it will be tough to beat a complete PSA upper -- there's one listed right now for $370.

A lot depends on what you really want the Grendel to do. For an AR-15 platform, the caliber does well at punching paper at long distances. To exploit this accuracy at distance you need a quality barrel, attention to detail on the upper's remaining components, quality match ammo, and a quality magnified optic. Wilson has a barrel on sale for $233, but their complete uppers are on sale for $1,100 -- which is about $50 more than the cost of the individual components in the Wilson upper.
quote:
I’m probably going to jump in on the lower end of the 6.5 uppers to see if I actually enjoy shooting that caliber...got enough long guns in my safe that I never use now.

At shorter distances the Grendel won't behave all that much differently than a quality 223 upper with with a heavy match bullet. With the Grendel you'll feel a touch more recoil, the bullet will drop a little more in elevation, and the bullet will drift a little less in windage.

To be honest, I see a strong possibility you are adding another upper that will see very little use.
December 02, 2018, 02:54 PM
SummersAtTheLake
quote:
To be honest, I see a strong possibility you are adding another upper that will see very little use.

And that is why I want to stay on the lower end to start. I have a 100 yard home range and could stretch it out to 200 yards pretty easily...100 yards is just not that fun anymore with my long barrel guns and optics on them.

Like many I enjoy the art of the "deal" in finding the parts and putting it all together and it really is pretty cheap entertainment for me since I don't drink, smoke, or eat out often.
December 02, 2018, 04:29 PM
fritz
quote:
quote:

And that is why I want to stay on the lower end to start. I have a 100 yard home range and could stretch it out to 200 yards pretty easily...100 yards is just not that fun anymore with my long barrel guns and optics on them.

I'm trying to understand why a long barrel gun and optics isn't fun at 100 or 200 yards.
- Are you shooting off-hand, so that holding a heavy rifle is cumbersome?
- Do you experience poor accuracy from your long barrel guns?
- Or is it the opposite -- you grow tired of hitting your targets with the long barrel rifles?

At a 100-to-200 yard range you will see virtually no difference between your 223 and 6.5 bore ARs at the range. If your 223 AR-15s have high-quality barrels and are using match ammo, a cheaper 6.5 upper will probably show worse accuracy than a 223.

If you are shooting off-hand, from barricades, or from alternative support positions -- the 6.5 will likely show slightly worse accuracy than its 223 counterparts, due to the slightly increased recoil of the 6.5 Grendel cartridge.
December 02, 2018, 05:14 PM
SummersAtTheLake
Maybe using the word fun isn’t the right terminology....challenging enough would be more accurate. I’m on 30 acres and my range and concrete bench/table is about 30 feet from my shop..even shooting at the smallest steel plates I have (6”) Is just too easy with the long guns..might get some spinner steel targets.

Plan on clearing some trees over the winter and get out to 200 yards and looking forward to that distance.....6.5 Grendel as a long distance shooter isn’t really the drive behind my purchase/consideration...just something a bit different that I enjoy doing.
December 02, 2018, 05:31 PM
fritz
quote:
Maybe using the word fun isn’t the right terminology....challenging enough would be more accurate.
..even shooting at the smallest steel plates I have (6”) Is just too easy with the long guns..

Your issue is targets and shooting methods, not firearms.

A 6" target at 100 yards is a candidate for off-hand with centerfire rifles. At the very minimum unsupported kneeling and sitting, or slung, or from a barricade. A 6" target is generous for even a 22lr rifle in windy conditions. I generally hang 3-4" steel at 100 yards with my 22lr rifle from prone, and I shoot in windy conditions.

From a bench at 100 yards, a 2" or 3" plate is more appropriate size if you want a challenge with a centerfire rifle. For paper targets, a shoot-n-see paster of 2-3" works. Then graduate to the dot drill -- 1" dots, one shot per dot.

Small pieces of 3/8" AR-500 steel cost $10-15 each, which is a much better bang for your buck than hundreds upon hundreds of dollars spent on a new-caliber upper, new sights/optics, new magazines, and additional ammo.
December 02, 2018, 06:16 PM
IndianaBoy
Other than possible advantages for deer hunting, that 6.5 isn't going to do anything except lighten your wallet at 200 yards.

In fact, in states that don't have stupid caliber restrictions, I would argue that a 223 with a full power 70gr Barnes TSX cartridge is close enough to a 6.5 to render the difference moot for hunting deer within 200 yards.

If your plates are too easy at the ranges you have available, adding a 6.5 Grendel isn't going to mitigate this problem.

I would buy some smaller steel if I were you.
December 02, 2018, 06:59 PM
tatortodd
I have a 20" FDE Ghost upper from Primary Arms along with an Odin BCG. The Ghost upper was $249 when I bought it, and the BCG was same price ($141).

I have a 6920 lower with all FDE furniture, Geissele SSA trigger, and a BCM FDE MK-12 Upper. I probably would've bought a PSA in 6.5 Grendel if I didn't have the FDE lower. I bought the 6.5 Grendel upper to alternate with the MK-12 and have fun shooting at distance. Also, the 6.5 Grendel should be better on feral hogs at my friend's ranch.

I also have a 12" PSA pistol in 6.5 Grendel. 6.5 Grendel is a thumper as a pistol.

I just picked up a myriad of buffers and buffer springs so I can tune 20" 6.5 Grendel. The 6920 has a H-buffer and I want to try the H2 buffer and extra power spring with it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
December 03, 2018, 11:24 PM
guardianangel762
I have a inch PSA 6.5 Grendel upper, and a 22in Grendel Hunter upper. The Grendel Hunter upper cost me 120% more. Grendel Hunter upper is a tack driver.

The 12 in PSA upper does about two inches at a hundred yards does the same level of accuracy as the Grendel Hunter upper does with Wolf Ammunition. Neither has had a stoppage yet.

December 07, 2018, 10:40 AM
GrumpyBiker
Noreen Billet 6.5 Grendel build with a BCA barrel & BCG combo.
Subject of the DIY cerama-coat thread I posted.
Awaiting the LaRue Tactical MBT trigger .(UPS tracking says it’s scheduled delivery is tomorrow).
Finished this last winter but was unable to get a day at the range this year without high winds.
It been on the back burner as I’ve been playing with other projects.
Using Hornady EDL Match I wasn’t able to get better than two MOA.
12 mph winds w/ 20mph gusts took all the fun out of it.
Hoping for a dead air day & that the new trigger helps out a lot.
Mines nothing more than a project of interest to me.
But with the Wolf ammunition (which I’ve not tried) I may build a 6.5 Grendel pistol just to run on that.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "