SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New 60 magazine entry into the AR-15 market ($35!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 60 magazine entry into the AR-15 market ($35!) Login/Join 
posted
Just a heads up. Schmeisser, best known for making high quality machine pistols in WW2, look like they've hit a home run with a 60 round 5.56 double stack polymer magazine. I saw it at Prepper gun works and Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore for @ same price. $35-$36 per mag. Looks identical in size and shape to the Surefire 60 rounders except it's polymer and costs less. The best part is that they are no longer than the normal 30 round Magpul mags, just wider. I ordered 3 of them. We'll see how it goes.

https://www.preppergunshop.com...556-223-60rd/reviews

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please write up a review after you try these things out. I'd like to know how difficult they are to load and how reliable they are.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 20, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yep, looking forward to hearing what your experience is.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do, be aware that I've got a lot of things on the plate and don't get to the range as much as I wish. There are reviews currently and they look very favorable. It looks identical to the Metal Surefire 60 round mag. Cheapest one I see is $112 for the Surefire.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.co..._source=ammoseek.com

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
The company Schmeisser GmbH is named in his honor, likely for marketing purposes, but it’s totally unrelated to Hugo Schmeisser and WW2 weapons manufacturing, having been founded much more recently.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Assembly/disassembly begins at 3:50

Vendor in first post is OOS.

Best current online price I found is here:

Best Price

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Do a review search.....they are hit and miss.

I almost bought a few and in the end went with the magpuk.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO there is a point where magazine capacity becomes an impediment to effective shooting. For me that limit is 20 rounds and if I foresee a need for shooting from the Prone position my goto choice is a 10 round magazine. Yes, I do have some 30 round magazines but they are my Hillary magazines, as in I have them because they drive Hillary nuts and I feel it's my duty to contribute to driving that evil witch over the edge.

So, this old geezer won't be getting any of these 60 round magazines. if I ever want to strap a 2 x 4 onto my rifle I'll go cheap and get a 2 x 4 from Home Depot. For those who think these are cool better get them now, because I expect that in 2 or 3 years they'll have disappeared due to low demand.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While these are cheaper than the D60 PMAGs, they are also just a bit too long. The D60 (while expensive) is still the same length as a 30rd, so still usable for prone shooting.

Honestly, without FA, I get tired of shooting the D60 at the range. I see the value of a 50-60 rd magazine as the 'first in the rifle' magazine, but after that it's 30s & 20s since the large mags are unwieldy to carry as spares.

I have a couple D60s and will likely get 1-2 more as spares before the election but with 1-2 vetted and loaded for duty use and 1-2 as training mags, I'm good.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post