SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optics for 16” CL LMT/MWS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics for 16” CL LMT/MWS Login/Join 
posted
Hello guys,

I recently traded a SCAR 16 for a NIB LMT MWS and am looking for optics for it. The max range that I currently have to shoot is 200yds, but there are some 600-1000yds ranges close by. I will primarily be shooting 200yds though. I am currently looking at the SWFA 3-9 and 3-15 Mil/MIL scopes. This will be more of a DMR rifle and not long range precision as it is the 16" CL barrel. What do you guys think of these two scopes and do you recommend anything else? I'm looking to stay around the $7-800 range. I have a SWFA 10x and 12X, so I am familiar with the scopes. I like the 10x so much that I almost put one on the LMT, but that is not in keeping with what a DMR rifle is. You need the low end capability.

I also have a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 Klassick Hunter with a Duplex reticle that I though about throwing on top of it since the normal ranges that I shoot is 200yds.

Thanks for any feedback

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I like the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10 MRAD.

Side focus Parallax, FFP, Pretty good glass. Not Razor glass, but good. Good turrets.

I can clearly use the Reticle subtens at 4x and my eyes arent the best.

You will want the the throw lever, its a bear to turn.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I went with PST Gen 2 3-15 for mine. Very happy with it and put it in a Spurh mount. If you are looking for a good deal on these scopes email me and I can send you some info.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s your budget? Nightforce ATACR 1-8, nxs 2.5 - 10, or if you want more mag the ATACR 4-16 would be my choices. I have the ATACR 1-8 on my SR25 and love it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A weapon that nice needs coresponding glass.

Nightforce would be my suggestion.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For your price range, I'd probably also be deciding between the 2 SWFA options you mentioned and looking at any 1-8X LPVs in that price range as well.

I think the ideal scope for a DMR type setup would be the Nightforce ATACR 1-8. The reticle lends itself to getting quick hits on man-sized targets out to the realistic max effective range of the weapon system (about 800yds) with just raging and holdovers for drop and wind, no dialing.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
There really needs to be Razor HD Gen II in the 2-12. The 3-18 is a monster of a scope. A razor the same size as the Viper 2-10 would be pretty popular.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the reply's. I have also considered just doing a TA11E and calling it good or the TA11 for 90% of my shooting and a SWFA 10X42 for the bench? I have a lead on a NIB TA11E for $750.

As for the comments for the $2000 plus scopes, I appreciate they are awesome and while I can afford them, I can’t justify them for the ranges that I regularly shoot. That was why my budget was $7-800. Big Grin

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TA11 would make it into a modern MBR. Can't go wrong really, just preference. I had to look up the TA11 and see it has good eye relief, I wouldn't put a TA31 on a 7.62 gun!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If 200 yards is it a Razor 1-6, Steiner 1-4 or 1-5 would be good. Steiner also has some pretty good prisms. 3x and 5x. The eye relief on an ACOG bothers some. The Steiners also have adjustable diopters. ACOGs don’t. The army puts corrective lenses on your eyeballs so they don’t need them.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
I have also considered just doing a TA11E and calling it good or the TA11 for 90% of my shooting and a SWFA 10X42 for the bench?

I suggest one scope for all your shooting. I think you will find swapping scopes to be a pain in the backside if you do it with any frequency.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After carefully considering my shooting style and ranges, I have decided to go with the Trijicon TA11E. It is the 3.5 model with good eye relief and 308 BDC. It allows me to keep the gun useful at shorter ranges and take it out further if needed. The rifle is already a pig and adding the 3-15 really turns it into a bench gun. This is not my first LMT MWS. I used to own a slick side one and foolishly sold it to feed NFA needs. I hunted with that gun, and want to do it with this one as well. I still have a 10X SWFA for use at the bench. For the gentleman who posted about swapping scopes, my Larue mounts make it very easy with little fuss. So, ACOG for real world use, and 10x for distance. I also picked up the ACOG NIB for $700 shipped. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hope you are well my friend. I put a NF 2.5X10 on mine. Let me know when you can get down my way and we can use the 600 yd range at Bradford.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post