SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for some wood for a AK. Edit: found a printable one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for some wood for a AK. Edit: found a printable one Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
I have been out of the AK building game for way too long and I am brainfarting on good sellers.

Short version.....
I am working on 3D printing a wall hanger AK for a local VFW to replace a loaned real one. I have managed to find enough of the parts in CAD to do everything except for the wood.

It's a Chinese type 56, fixed stock and milled receiver. I have been looking for a bit over a week and can find loads of stuff for the stamped receiver, but nothing for milled.

My thoughts as of today are if I can find a set of real wood, that would probably be the best option for things, but I have done a little bit of digging so far today and realized I'm not sure who is good, quick and most importantly.... cheap anymore.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PakRatJR,

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I think I have a couple at the shop,
wood, likely Romanian,, but not really an AK guy so not exactly sure,

shoot me an email, I'll be in the shop for a bit the next couple mornings, and will look see if I still have them,

I'll shoot you a pic or 2, and if they are good to go, then I'll Karma which ever works to you for the VFW ,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ironwood Designs offers wood stocks for milled Chinese AKs, but they're not cheap.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com...illed-angle-cut.html

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
lyman thanks for the offer. I will email you later tonight when I home from work w Cool

The Ironwood stuff does look nice but yup definitely not cheap Eek
Thanks so far. Cool

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I replaced the wood on my Type 56S with surplus Russian AK74 laminated wood. I had to trim it to fit but it fits perfectly and looks amazing!

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the Russian sets but man they ain't cheap eather everywhere I have seen them.

Thanks to lyman for the offer for the stock, unfortunately they were for a stamped receiver. Frown

I finally was able to find one last night that I can print. It's not great but it will work. I had to do a bunch of editing to get it to fit. Talking to my "guy" about it, he was quite happy with it. Apparently where this will be hanging.....well this is one of those times where close enough will actually be ok lol Big Grin