SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger SR762 and now SR556 and your opinions please...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger SR762 and now SR556 and your opinions please... Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
What's the consensus?
I've thought about picking one of these up. I'd like something I could feel confident taking through a carbine course, if I'm ever able.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone?

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok....interesting.

LGS has one, they are a bit pricey.
I do like the adjustable gas block on them. And the rifle feels good in my hands. Just wondering if anyone actually had any first hand experience with one.
I guess I'll do the adult thing and put the $$$ towards paying off my truck even earlier. Smile

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
They sound good on paper but I don't have the funds for one. Though I'm in desperate need of a .308.

I'm surprised that no one here has one. Maybe just haven't found your thread yet.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot the SR-762, but I own the SR-556 and I love it!! I found mine at a great price and have been really impressed by it. The trigger on my gun is damn good, and the rifle was dead on right out of the box with the iron sights!!

I would definitely look to buy another Ruger product in the future, for sure! I'm saving up for the extra barrel in .300 blackout and a red dot right now.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the early ones and mine runs great. Relatively light and accurate too. That said, there have been lots of problems reported, both on the early ones and later ones that were supposedly fixed. Check any of the big Ruger forums and you'll see post of people experiencing FTFs, FTEs, mag incompatibility (some say they won't work with Gen 3 Magpuls, some won't work with Gen 2 Magpuls, only work with metal DPMS mags, any combination of the above), and rough edges on the rear of the chromed bolt carrier chewing up the buffer face.

Like I said, I haven't had problems with mine and it works fine with both generations of Magpul mags (only FTF was with a DPMS metal mag, and that was definitely a mag issue). That said, I consider myself lucky based on problems others have reported.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-se.../topics/92308?page=1

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpB...pic.php?f=4&t=217174

Just google Ruger SR762 problems.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I'd like something I could feel confident taking through a carbine course

I know nothing of the Ruger SR762.

I do know something about carbine courses. I do not recommend shooting a 308 platform in a carbine course -- any 308 will have more recoil than you will care to endure of the course of a day or days. Stick with a 223 carbine for such courses.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger SR762. It is a fairly recent production and has the upgraded 2 stage trigger from the factory. I like the slim forearm. It adds greatly to the feel of the rifle. The rifle is a 1-1.5 MOA rifle with most ammo. Match grade ammo exceeds this though. The rifle has been very reliable with no failures. I have used Gen II and Gen III Magpuls and SR-25 pattern metal mags with no issues. It is a very soft shooting rifle and I have a number of different .308 platforms to compare it against. I would buy it again.

Posts: 6 | Location: TN | Registered: May 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dma1
posted Hide Post
My son has one. He loves it. It is of recent manufacture. No malfunctions of any sort and accurate. He put a 1-6x24 Vortex Strike Eagle on it. I've shot it a few times and can tell you it's a fine shooting weapon.

Posts: 275 | Registered: September 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend bought one about three years ago. No problems out of it, and he loves it. I have fired it; it's a very soft shooting 7.62. If I didn't already have a couple of FALs, I would probably get one. It's noticeably lighter than an FAL, and that's the main appeal to me.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LGS ran a deal on anything that said Ruger on it.....
That paired w/ OT @ work netted me the SR762.....
Oh, AND an SR556. Smile
I haven't made it to my range yet, but I think I'm really gonna dig these piston ARs.
These rifles are just begging to be suppressed...

posted Hide Post
What optics/scopes for these rifles?

I don't plan on shooting the 556 past a couple hundred yards. I'm older, so a variable magnification (1-4) might be in order. But I do want fast acquisition.

The 762 might get out to 300/400 yards (or farther, I'm new to any long range stuff). I'm thinking variable 1-4 or 1-6. I'm not looking for a super busy reticle.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Oh, let's say $500 give or take a Benjamin on each rifle (as long as the overtime holds out). Smile

posted Hide Post
I have an SR556 as a SlideFire host. I'm usually pretty easy on guns but I beat the living snot out of this one. It has not missed a lick. It's a little heavy compared to most ARs, but it is durable as f#%k.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EBRfan:
I have an SR556 as a SlideFire host. I'm usually pretty easy on guns but I beat the living snot out of this one. It has not missed a lick. It's a little heavy compared to most ARs, but it is durable as f#%k.

I shaved 1lb off the front end of my sr556 by having ADCO reprofile the barrel.

And I also have an sr762, I like both very much but I have others that are favorites right now.

That's the problem with so many toys is that you don't have a favorite for long.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have an SR556. When I got it just after they came out it would only shot shotgun groups. A trip back to Ruger resulted in a completely new upper, bolt and safety. After I got it back it has been a consistent 1 moa 5 shot 100 yard group gun, sometimes better. But I did have to put in a Geissele SSA-E trigger in it achieve that as the factory trigger on mine was heavy and gritty. Perhaps the newer ones have improved triggers. I also changed the butt stock to a SOPMOD butt stock which I like much better than the factory stock.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post