SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint PRO on Marlin 1895?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint PRO on Marlin 1895? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
Do you think it will hold zero? Guess it may be one of those things where I just have to try and see. I tried googling and found similar stuff, but nothing with the PRO exactly. I figured a red dot would be good since it is close range and I already have one lying around.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I think it's a horrible thing to do to that rifle, but it's your rifle.

Why would it not hold zero?

I'm not sure if it is designed for that kind of recoil. I was thinking, since it's an Aimpoint, it'll probably be fine.

I have run Aimpoint M2 and M3s on shotguns with slugs without issue and an Aimpoint micro on my 1895 guide gun. It will be fine.

Red dots and other optics make you more effective and efficient with the gun. This is why they are now standard on LE and Military long guns.

Choose a quality mount like the XS etc and it will hold zero just fine.

If you actually shoot you gun and want to hit what you are shooting at under real world conditions put the Aimpoint on it.

Unless you are a Fudd gun fondler who cares more about tradition and how your gun looks than how well you can actually shoot it there is no reason not to.

Scout scopes and traditional low power variables like the 1-4 and 1-6x popular on ARs are also good choices.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
almost everyone who makes a mount makes one that has no spacer. I'm partial these days to bobro mounts and they have one. The Pro itself comes with a qrp and the spacer is removable on that. I don't like that huge knob so I have a pile of those in a box. I tried a American Defense mount for an aimpoint on a scorpion and that it pretty darn low on the deck and modestly priced. But again your favorite brand probably has one without a spacer.

Without a spacer is still typically "absolute" cowitness, which is more than an inch over the rail height to the centerline of the scope, usually closer to 1.5" (1.54 typically). The ADM low is 1.1". The old Aimpoint SRP-L is 0.865", which is close to what the low mount height is for the T1 pattern sights.

I’ve had good luck with the SRP-L on both shotguns and conventional rifles.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you are a Fudd gun fondler who cares more about tradition and how your gun looks than how well you can actually shoot it there is no reason not to.

There is NOTHING wrong with that either nor does it make a FUDD. As long as said person doesn’t bemoan another’s choices they are not a FUDD. One can appreciate a classic lever gun and personally hate AR15s and that is nothing more then what blows their proverbial skirt up. It’s not until they say I/YOU shouldn’t have or need an AR15 that they become a FUDD in my eyes.

We should all embrace all aspects of firearms, history, aesthetics etc. and truly be students of the gun so to speak. There is also plenty of room in the tent for all of us.

That being said I both love the idea of a clean old school lever gun and also think the idea of an AIMPoint having brush gun version is hella cool.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:

I’ve had good luck with the SRP-L on both shotguns and conventional rifles.

I can't find any for sale. Discontinued and out of stock everywhere that lists it. I haven't found a good alternative, probably because the market is shifted to micro clones and small reflex sights for these types of applications.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

There is NOTHING wrong with that either nor does it make a FUDD. As long as said person doesn’t bemoan another’s choices they are not a FUDD. One can appreciate a classic lever gun and personally hate AR15s and that is nothing more then what blows their proverbial skirt up. It’s not until they say I/YOU shouldn’t have or need an AR15 that they become a FUDD in my eyes.

We should all embrace all aspects of firearms, history, aesthetics etc. and truly be students of the gun so to speak. There is also plenty of room in the tent for all of us.

That being said I both love the idea of a clean old school lever gun and also think the idea of an AIMPoint having brush gun version is hella cool.

I don't agree with exactly how he said it, but there are plenty of people out there that will tell you iron sights are good enough, they served men well for hundreds of years, you don't need optics, and make some disparaging remarks about how you're not good enough or how red dots are just a waste of money, or other nonsense- actively discouraging people from "messing with tradition" or whatever when the question of optics on things other than an AR comes up.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post

I think it looks pretty good Smile needs a cheek riser, though. Suggestions?

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be worth the $129 to get the Primary Arms MD-ADS. Smaller, lighter, and mounts lower so a cheek riser may not be needed.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...battery-life-red-dot

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Might have to grab one of those. People seem to love their PA sights.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig Romeo 3 on my Marlin 336, and a good friend has the Vortex Venom on a Marlin 1895 in 45-70.

They hold zero very well, are much easier to shoot well than with the semi-buckhorn and post, and don't require a cheek riser.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Looks like I got some studying and shopping to do. Sounds like there are more options than I was thinking. I didn't know if the recoil would mess with the zero.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And people wonder why I put an H-2 on a "cheap" AK. Because that's the only thing that sits low enough, that's why.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My friend and I are shooting tomorrow. If he brings the 45-70 with Vortex Venom I'll try to get a picture.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
My friend and I are shooting tomorrow. If he brings the 45-70 with Vortex Venom I'll try to get a picture.

This come to fruition? I've been going back and forth from tube sights and these open sights

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Regrettably no. He didn't bring that rifle. I'd say it's slightly lower profile than the Sig Romeo 3 on my marlin above.

I believe you will find that the venom is lower profile than any tube sight and will give a better cheek weld

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should give Vortex another try, or go with the SIG. I had a Venom that didn't work and they gave me a new one, but found quite a few people saying how hit and miss Vortex can be.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The Venom on his 1895 has been taking 45-70 whacks for a year now, including Hornady LeverRevolution rounds and his 405 grain handloads, so his at least, has been reliable and held zero. I don't have enough experience with other Vortex holographic optics to know otherwise.

I do know that the local PD has equipped their sniper with a Vortex 6-24 scope on his duty .308, and I have a Vortex Razor Scout Scope on my M1A, and both are proving to be satisfactory.

posted Hide Post
I like the looks of them even more with some of those dot sights. I plan on getting one for mine.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post