SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint PRO on Marlin 1895?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint PRO on Marlin 1895? Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted
Curious if it will hold zero? I just started my 10 day pulling my hair out waiting period on my Marlin 1895GBL and have an Aimpoint PRO not currently being used. I am thinking it would go well on the Marlin if it will hold zero. Actually, not even sure I can mount it, but I would imagine there is a way.

I think I got a good deal at $529 from Kentucky Gun Co. I just went back to their site and they are out of stock, maybe I nabbed the last one

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1895 Guide Gun with an X/S scout mount and a Leupold long eye relief low power scope; to me it's a short range carbine for both eyes open, mostly, maybe out to 100 yards and certainly for closer, a woods rifle.

I thought about pulling the aimpoint off my SOCOM and putting on there, but it get shot so infrequently that I never got around to it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Sure, why not? If it makes the rifle (and you) more effective, go for it.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think it's a horrible thing to do to that rifle, but it's your rifle.

Why would it not hold zero?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Do you think it will hold zero? Guess it may be one of those things where I just have to try and see. I tried googling and found similar stuff, but nothing with the PRO exactly. I figured a red dot would be good since it is close range and I already have one lying around.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I think it's a horrible thing to do to that rifle, but it's your rifle.

Why would it not hold zero?

I'm not sure if it is designed for that kind of recoil. I was thinking, since it's an Aimpoint, it'll probably be fine.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
Do you think it will hold zero?

I'm not sure if it is designed for that kind of recoil.

I honestly have no idea. I'd assume it would.

Heck, somebody put the Holosun I bought for my AR on a .50 BMG and it held zero.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
You just want to be TOO sexy, don't you?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
You just want to be TOO sexy, don't you?

I know I'm mixing modern technology and old style, but at least I'm not putting a rail, fore grip, light, grenade launcher, tactical chain saw, IR laser, and NV scope on it...yet.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"All options are... optional" Wink

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Very nice, the rail definitely gives you flexibility. Was it fairly easy to mount? I was thinking of maybe getting the XS rail/sights.

posted Hide Post
I am unclear why you would worry about an aimpoint on a lever gun? They survive much much worse. I'd have zero worries on that part.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
Was it fairly easy to mount?

Very simple. That's an XS Leverail that I modified.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I asked SIG Sauer if theirs would hold on a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 shooting +P bear loads and they told me it would. I think they said it was designed for up 458 WinMag.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Longer then your shoulder will. Smile

They hold up to shotgun use, so you should be fine.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear. I'll go for it Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The XS Rail and Ring Sight for the 1895 is a great add. It was an easy job on my 1895GS. The ring sight works so well for me I have not tried with a red dot

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint T1 holds zero just fine on my 1895ABL. I put 10 out of 10 shots on a 10" paper plate at the 200 yard range with it the last time I shot it.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Related question;

Where does one find the low mount for a PRO or similar Aimpoint? I'm looking to do the same on a bolt-action 22 for a varmint gun, doesn't need magnification but the dot is superior to irons for me.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
almost everyone who makes a mount makes one that has no spacer. I'm partial these days to bobro mounts and they have one. The Pro itself comes with a qrp and the spacer is removable on that. I don't like that huge knob so I have a pile of those in a box. I tried a American Defense mount for an aimpoint on a scorpion and that it pretty darn low on the deck and modestly priced. But again your favorite brand probably has one without a spacer.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
almost everyone who makes a mount makes one that has no spacer. I'm partial these days to bobro mounts and they have one. The Pro itself comes with a qrp and the spacer is removable on that. I don't like that huge knob so I have a pile of those in a box. I tried a American Defense mount for an aimpoint on a scorpion and that it pretty darn low on the deck and modestly priced. But again your favorite brand probably has one without a spacer.

Without a spacer is still typically "absolute" cowitness, which is more than an inch over the rail height to the centerline of the scope, usually closer to 1.5" (1.54 typically). The ADM low is 1.1". The old Aimpoint SRP-L is 0.865", which is close to what the low mount height is for the T1 pattern sights.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post