SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .243 impulse buy - need a scope and rings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 impulse buy - need a scope and rings Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
After months of researching and looking for sales on a Tikka T3x CTR in .308, I finally clicked buy on a T3 Laminted Stainless in .243 Confused

Over Christmas I was honest with myself and realized that with work, the kids, home remodeling, etc. I just don’t have the time to take up the type of shooting that I wish to take up. The .243 was a more realistic option for the type of shooting that I’ll likely do so that’s what we ended up going with.

Now, I am at the fun point of choosing a scope and rings for this rifle. Since there are a multitude of different combinations out there, acknowledging that I have zero real world experience with scopes over $100, and assuming that I don’t mind waiting for a few months to find a good deal, what scope and ring combo would you go with if the three main uses for this rifle are deer hunting, coyote hunting, and sitting in a safe? As for price, I can rationalize the buy once, cry once line but I also subscribe to the “You’re not a Delta Force sniper nor a world traveling hunter so spend accordingly” philosophy.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I put DNZ Gamerepaer mounts on all my Tikkas.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 mm would work pretty well for your stated use. Or 3-9 X40MM if less magnification will work. The 2-4x40 is on sale at Wal-Mart online store for $268 which is a great deal. I'd go with a one piece mount for a really solid lock up that you won't need to worry about getting out of alignment, or just go with standard rings and save a little weight.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leopold vx2 is a great scope. If it was me though, since it’s such a nice gun, I would bump it up a bit and get the vx3i. I really like the Boone and Crockett reticle in my vx3i, I think that would make a great setup for you.

As for rings, those DNZ ones are probably hard to beat for o e piece setups, you could look into Talley lightweights as well, those are very nice rings.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 243 wears the VX-2 that NavyGuy mentioned. Works great for me. I use the 2 piece Leoupold rings that came with the (used) rifle. Sight in with a 200 yard zero and you will be good to go.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I have learned that magnification and clear glass is very key. I have an excellent condition 4.5X14 Leupold Mark 4 that I am going to sell if you are interested. It will be a smoking deal.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
As much Vortex as you can afford.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Vortex doesnt really start to impress until you reach their 1st or 2nd tier scopes....everything else I have looked through under that has been meh or outright garbage on some of the lower end models.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Meopta Meopro 3-9 would be cool on that Tikka.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my Nikon scopes.
Whenever I get around to doing up another bolt gun the new Nikon Black will be on it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25355 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the recommendations on the DNZ mounts.
Easy to install and rock solid.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I am very happy with my Nikon scopes.
Whenever I get around to doing up another bolt gun the new Nikon Black will be on it.

Another vote for Nikon. Love the Monarch5 on my Tikka.
Brother in law has a Buckmasters on his Rem700.

Both crystal clear glass.

Both mounted on Burris Zee Signature rings.

I'm debating on a low power scope or irons for my Marlin 336. If a scope, it'll be another Nikon.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I didn't have the cash for another Vortex PST or similar, but did get a deal on a Nikon ProStaff 5 in 3.5-14 mil dot. Mounted on a 20" AR, it has been a nice setup for this varmint rig.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
You just cant beat a Nikon Monarch scope. I have Nikon on all my hunting rifles. A very underrated scope is Sightron. Very bright, very clear.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You have got a lot of good suggestions in this thread.

I believe the DNZ GameReaper, which I really like is discontinued.

I think magnification is overrated. I also do not like Vortex rifle scopes.

A VX-2 in the 2-7 variety would also be a great choice.

That is a great rifle. I love the .243 win.

Congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX2 in DNZ Gamereaper mounts.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Also a fan of the DNZ 1pc mounts. But they have their limits. When out hunting coyote I like the security of having open sights as backup, in case an animal charges as what happened recently to a coworker. None of my bolt-action rifles have that capability so I use ARs for the task, as did the coworker. From what he told us, 'just-in-time' doesn't even begin to describe the experience. Not a endorphin kinda high I care to experience.

As for hunting at distance, I personally prefer 2.5-10x and 4-12x (or something in that range) these days. A little more magnification isn't a bad thing given where my eyes are at this station in life. Frown Fine for deer as well, and targets. Brands vary; I like Leupold VX-2 and up but have had good like with lower priced Redfield Revolutions. Steiner makes a couple of units in that range that I'm liking; I need new glass on one of my 270s and I'm seriously considering one of theirs this time around. I also like Sightron which I have on my other 270, a Tikka T3. Burris glass has improved considerably now that Steiner and them are tied at the hip; Beretta has made great strides with both of them.

I'm not a fan of Vortex glass; sure they have great warranty coverage but with their riflescopes anything lower than the higher end Vipers ain't worth a damn. Their coatings and flaring glare in low horizon light sucks, the edge aberrations happen too often and are annoying, most of their hold-over reticles are hard for me to read. Other than that, they're great (sarcasm, in case you didn't see it). Nikon glass is good, really good actually, but I don't like their constrained sight picture. A fuller field of view like what's common with Leupold and others is much more freeing to my eye.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just thought I''d give you a heads up, I found the Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 at sport optics for 349.00 these are the same thing as the Zeiss Conquests scopes were, Zeiss re badged them with their own label, very nice scopes.

I ended up ordering one. 349.00 and free shipping is a heck of a deal.

Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone and a double thanks to heathtx for his offer on the Mark 4. I ended up going with the Gamereaper Low Mount holding a VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm. I’m still waiting on the UPS driver to bring my presents but hopefully they are all as good as I hope they will be.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be a good setup. I have a vx3i 2.5-8x36, its incredible light and bright towards the end of legal light. I really like it. The boon and crocket reticle is also awesome.

If anybody else is looking for scopes, I still encourage you to check out the sale at sport optics for the Meopta Meopro 3-9x40s. These are the exact same thing as the Zeiss Conquest and for 350.00 with free shipping, its pretty much the best bargain I've seen in several months.