SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we like for .22LR AR15's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for .22LR AR15's? Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I'm looking more for a compliment to my full-bore ARs, so at this phase, yes.

If I wind up happy with it I could very easily see a 522 and Umarex G36 joining it in the safe - although the hilariously god-awful trigger on that Umarex AR I handled may preclude me from buying one.

I've heard a lot of folks say "They're not THAT bad," so maybe I just got a rough example, but I'm not kidding about how heavy it was. The closest I can approximate it, it was like trying to squeeze off a round from an M4 without realizing you've still got the safety on. Not an ounce of movement until well past ten pounds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rob Decker,

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a CMMG dedicated upper I've used on various lowers, including my M16 and it's been totally reliable. I've also got a SiG522 which has been just as reliable ... I use BDM mags in both, and both are SBR's if that makes any difference.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Found another thread on this but it's closed. Exact same question - what do we like for .22LR AR-15's? Intended use is Appleseed so the M&P-15 .22 is out. Which is a bummer, cuz I liked that handy little popper when I handled one...glad I did my research before the credit card came out. Got hands on a Colt/Walther/Umarex lately and OH MY GOD was that trigger heavy. Crisp but HEAVY. So heavy I swore there was an issue with the safety for the first two tries.

I'm avoiding conversion kits - I think it's gonna be a dedicated upper or a dedicated rifle.

What do we like? Price points, sources, recommendations, feedback, experiences? Would an airsoft "AmPont" be a silly giggle purchase or value (read: fun) added?

DPMS is great: extremely reliable, accurate, and functions on anything, including sub-sonic match ammo. And you can buy just the upper if you want, and use it on your existing AR lower.

I wouldn't buy a rifle based on what they allow in Appleseed. Don't you have any friends that can teach you rifle skills, outside of Appleseed?

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really enjoying my 15-22 Sport. I've been very busy lately but hope to get to the range soon and try it with my Thompson Machine Zephyr L.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamageInc:
I wouldn't buy a rifle based on what they allow in Appleseed. Don't you have any friends that can teach you rifle skills, outside of Appleseed?

I do - but I'm also interested in structured instruction from people who do it semi-pro.

And if I'm going to buy a .22 AR, I'm not going to just go out and buy the first one I think is halfway decent and then have to buy another if I feel like shooting .22LR Appleseed.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 uppers.
I have one and as long as I keep it moderately clean/lubed, it runs great.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/ar-...p7bzxzfyb7xfzy29abez

Readily available for about $500 and there's one on GB right now at $430 (NIB).

Spike's .22 uppers are also nice but as already mentioned, they don't make them any more.
Still available if you look around, but prices will be higher due to limited supply.
They do require some tweaking of the bolt spring to run reliably.

I don't have any experience with the CMMG or Nordic Components, but if I were looking today, would start with/consider TacSol, CMMG or Nordic Components.

Any of the above on a quality lower of your choice should prove to be a solid rifle.
Black Dog Magazines are excellent and readily available.

Note - suggest utilize a "pressure plug" with a .22 upper.

Like this:
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...iability-enhancement

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
I'm looking more for a compliment to my full-bore ARs, so at this phase, yes.

If I wind up happy with it I could very easily see a 522 and Umarex G36 joining it in the safe - although the hilariously god-awful trigger on that Umarex AR I handled may preclude me from buying one.

I've heard a lot of folks say "They're not THAT bad," so maybe I just got a rough example, but I'm not kidding about how heavy it was. The closest I can approximate it, it was like trying to squeeze off a round from an M4 without realizing you've still got the safety on. Not an ounce of movement until well past ten pounds.

I wouldn't judge the Umarex guns by their M4 or HK416, since they are just cosmetic shells over a common internal receiver and FCG. Their G36 is more of a normal gun and it's FCG is different.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
I have a CMMG upper with their Dissipator configuration with a 16" barrel. I am running it with a Ceiner kit and Black Dog mags. Works pretty slick.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post