SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we like for .22LR AR15's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for .22LR AR15's? Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Found another thread on this but it's closed. Exact same question - what do we like for .22LR AR-15's? Intended use is Appleseed so the M&P-15 .22 is out. Which is a bummer, cuz I liked that handy little popper when I handled one...glad I did my research before the credit card came out. Got hands on a Colt/Walther/Umarex lately and OH MY GOD was that trigger heavy. Crisp but HEAVY. So heavy I swore there was an issue with the safety for the first two tries.

I'm avoiding conversion kits - I think it's gonna be a dedicated upper or a dedicated rifle.

What do we like? Price points, sources, recommendations, feedback, experiences? Would an airsoft "AmPont" be a silly giggle purchase or value (read: fun) added?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rob Decker,

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with Appleseed at all, but according to the website it doesn't say you can't use M&P 15-22. Why is the M&P out?

Posts: 1303 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
There was some issues with the Smith failing or something out of battery. I can't remember.

I built my 22lr upper with CMMG parts and have no issues. I am using a PSA lower. I am using S&W mags though.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8018 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have a Chiappa upper on a New Frontier 5.56 lower.
Fine for plinking but there's something about a Polymer upper receiver that I've come not to like.
Too much "play" for anything more than can chasing at least for me.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've both cmmg and tacsol as complete uppers. The CMMG is better and has been totally reliable. but pricy either way.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have a Nordic Components dedicated upper that has been phenomenal. Mine is the 9.25" version for an SBR'd lower, even then it's a tack driver with good ammo. The NC upper is very well designed and very robust, it also uses a Bentz chamber (as do many other semi-auto .22s) but which is somewhat unique in the world of rimefire ARs. As a result you're likely to get better accuracy if/when you find a round it likes.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I'm not familiar with Appleseed at all, but according to the website it doesn't say you can't use M&P 15-22. Why is the M&P out?

See here, last item on the grey bar on the right side.

There have been OOB reports of 15-22s at Appleseed events. Though from the publication they first put out most of the reports were from instructors having personal issue while shooting at home/other events. They also included several "friend of a friend" type anecdotes. Either way the evidence they put forward for the ban (in my eyes) was marginal at best. I'm sure there have been OOB incidents with other guns (10/22s?), but there was no knee jerk (again my thoughts) reaction. Regardless, their events their rules.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I am going to build one with a CMMG bbl/bolt combo, bought a stripped upper the other day to get the ball rolling.

Are built ARs banned from Appleseed or just the S&W?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I am going to build one with a CMMG bbl/bolt combo, bought a stripped upper the other day to get the ball rolling.

I'm sincerely hoping it's just M&Ps. Hopefully a member familiar with Appleseed will be by to address.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I have a Nordic Components dedicated upper that has been phenomenal. Mine is the 9.25" version for an SBR'd lower, even then it's a tack driver with good ammo. The NC upper is very well designed and very robust, it also uses a Bentz chamber (as do many other semi-auto .22s) but which is somewhat unique in the world of rimefire ARs. As a result you're likely to get better accuracy if/when you find a round it likes.

I have a Nordic that I used for a 3-gun trainer. My experience has been the same as SigM4. Thousands of rounds and it eats about anything. No issues. Pricey, but I've been very pleased. It's the one on the bottom here:

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

I'm sincerely hoping it's just M&Ps. Hopefully a member familiar with Appleseed will be by to address.

Just S&W M&P 15-22s. Other models and dedicated uppers are still allowed.

Complacency sucks…

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:

See here, last item on the grey bar on the right side.

There have been OOB reports of 15-22s at Appleseed events. Though from the publication they first put out most of the reports were from instructors having personal issue while shooting at home/other events. They also included several "friend of a friend" type anecdotes. Either way the evidence they put forward for the ban (in my eyes) was marginal at best. I'm sure there have been OOB incidents with other guns (10/22s?), but there was no knee jerk (again my thoughts) reaction. Regardless, their events their rules.

Ooooo thanks... guess I didn't read far enough... they should definitely put that little tidbit in the FAQs that say bring whatever you want...

Posts: 1303 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you are really wanting an AR pattern .22,

I am totally happy with my M&P 15-22 and have never experienced an Appleseed-claimed--type malf, nor have any of my friends who own and shoot them. IMHO, its a bad rap.
I d use another .22 rifle for a one time Appleseed event before I d let that turn me away from 15-22's.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My dedicated Appleseed gun:

forged lower with Timney trigger
Spikes Tactical 22lr upper with 16" M4 profile Lothar 22lr barrel
Trijiclone acog 4x sight
Gemtech suppressor.

This is a very accurate subMOA gun. Reliable too, once you figure out the proper spring length for the bolt.

If you build a 22lr upper, make sure the lower has a rounded hammer.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
If you are really wanting an AR patern .22,

I am totally happy with my M&P 15-22 and have never experienced an Appleseed-claimed--type malf, nor have any of my friends who own and shoot them. IMHO, its a bad rap.
I d use another .22 rifle for a one time Appleseed event before I d let that turn me away from 15-22's.

I would tend to agree. I have an M&P 15-22, Sig 522, and the dedicated NC upper as discussed above. They're all great for different reasons. If I were to recommend only one as an AR plinker it would be the 15-22.

Complacency sucks…

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
See if you can locate a Sig 522. I absolutely love mine. My choice came down to it and the M&P 15-22. The 522 felt more like a "real" gun to and the Signess flared up. Again.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
If you are really wanting an AR patern .22,

I would tend to agree. I have an M&P 15-22, Sig 522, and the dedicated NC upper as discussed above. They're all great for different reasons. If I were to recommend only one as an AR plinker it would be the 15-22.

I'm very pleased with my M&P 15-22.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine has an M&P 15-22, and loves it. No problems with it at all. He's using it to teach his two boys to shoot a rifle (the younger one is getting pretty good with a pistol too!). Me, I keep wanting to get a dedicated upper to put on my M4 clone for practice; leaning toward CMMG but I was disappointed when Spike's quit selling .22 uppers (my M4 upper is from Spike's and it's been absolutely perfect).

Posts: 7265 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Friend of mine has an M&P 15-22, and loves it. No problems with it at all. He's using it to teach his two boys to shoot a rifle (the younger one is getting pretty good with a pistol too!). Me, I keep wanting to get a dedicated upper to put on my M4 clone for practice; leaning toward CMMG but I was disappointed when Spike's quit selling .22 uppers (my M4 upper is from Spike's and it's been absolutely perfect).

Research driven by this thread has shown they are still available - but holy smokes are they spendy.

posted Hide Post
Does it have to be an AR? I like my Sig 522 and Umarex/Walther G36.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post