SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M193 v M855 in SBRs....is there a major difference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M193 v M855 in SBRs....is there a major difference? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Been reading more on SBRs and it seems like M193 gets mentioned a lot more in relation to SBRs than M855. Is there a reason? Assuming a 11.5" 1:7 barrel, does one perform better? Have better terminal ballistics?

Speaking of ballistics, is there something online I can plug in my barrel and ammo specs that'll show ballistics?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Velocity is king when it comes to the effectiveness of the 223 round. Therefore, the lighter weight round will always fly faster. In a shorter barrel, this effect is magnified.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Velocity is king when it comes to the effectiveness of the 223 round. Therefore, the lighter weight round will always fly faster. In a shorter barrel, this effect is magnified.

All true. The M855 bullet has been implicated in reports of failing to immediately incapacitate enemy fighters when highly stabilized and at low velocities (even from 14.5" barrels) because they fail to upset and tumble.

With the increasing popularity of short barrel guns firing the 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO rounds, that issue has been recognized by at least one ammunition manufacturer. The Speer 55 grain Gold Dot is claimed to expand even at longer ranges from short barrels. If I had no choice but to rely on a short barreled gun for serious purposes, I’d be exploring the use of something other than ammunition originally designed for military purposes and military weapons.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The soft point type loads work better terminally with SBRs, the heavy OTM rounds like 75/77g match loads work better than M193/M855 as well.

I have Federal Fusion which is a 62g bonded SP. Expands to something like 1800fps I believe, in any case well below what it is moving out of my 10.5". It is relatively easy to find and inexpensive for premium ammo, about .50 ea. I practice with less expensive stuff of course.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Para had a post that turned into a great data dump for this question.

As someone mentioned velocity is king, M198 is good for plinking but fir HD I would go with 55gr gold dots or TSX.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post