SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 700 in 6.5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 in 6.5 Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I stopped in at a new gun shop close to home.

Pretty sparse selection of ammo but he has a great collection of rifles.

Other than the Barrett 50 cal on display he had a 700, black polymer stock, chrome barrel and a nice scope. Vortex.

$3300 and it’s all somebodies. If I wasn’t renovating my kitchen I’d scoop it up.

Oh well.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Other than the Barrett 50 cal on display he had a 700, black polymer stock, chrome barrel and a nice scope. Vortex.

$3300 and it’s all somebodies. If I wasn’t renovating my kitchen I’d scoop it up.

Oh well.

That's a lot of coin for a 700 with a Vortex scope. My 5R with a chassis, Timney trigger, and Bushnell Elite scope was about $1000 less.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I bought a 700VS in .308 about 30 years ago for $390, had it rebarreled to 6.5CM for about $450 a few years back, and added a chassis for I think $350, a Nightforce NXS for $1450 and a Timney Calvin Elite trigger for another $220. So $2860 all told. Call it $3000 with scope base and rings.

For $3300 I'd be a little concerned about the stock (factory, I assume) vs. a chassis. A Vortex Razor HD Gen2 goes for about $2K I think, but lesser Vortex models are cheaper and you didn't say which Vortex it was. So depending on the scope and how good the stock is, $3300 could be anywhere between a pretty good deal and a seriously inflated price.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
My 700 is 6.5-06. It has a stainless Hart competition barrel.

Bought it @ 1990 for... quite a bit less.

Sent it to Buzzsaw in Oregon to work it over and they did.

6.5 is a helluva round!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:

Oh well.

That's a lot of coin for a 700 with a Vortex scope. My 5R with a chassis, Timney trigger, and Bushnell Elite scope was about $1000 less.

Yep, that’s way too much.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...he had a 700, black polymer stock, chrome barrel and a nice scope. Vortex.

If it was one of the better 700s,
If the rifle was new,
If it was a brand new Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x,
If it included quality rings,
If it had a stainless barrel -- because chrome is the last type of barrel you'd want in a precision rifle,
Then it would have been a fair deal.

I suspect you are very fortunate that you didn't scoop it up. If the rifle system doesn't match the description above, then you would have overpaid -- possibly grossly overpaid -- for a run-of-the-mill rifle. And there would be plenty of people who would know that.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Stupid and absurd. A chrome barrel? Roll Eyes

Someone on Gunbroker has a nice Sig P226 Mk25 listed for the bargain price of just $2,000. And there are others with bids topping $1,700.

If I had known I could get $2,000 for mine, maybe I wouldn't have sold mine recently for $800, which is about what I bought it for.

We have a pawn/gun shop here that's selling range ammo for popular calibers for $45-50 a box. And people are just buying it up.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A “chrome” barrel? What does that mean? Chrome plated, chrome lined, or chrome-moly alloy?

It is actually very unlikely to be either of the first two if it’s a factory barrel. Chromoly steel, on the other hand, is very commonly (most commonly?) used for rifle barrels and as I recall at one time it was considered better for precision rifles than stainless. Yes, I understand that that’s no longer true, but it is still used for guns like my Tikka T3x TAC A1 that is capable of very good precision for its price. I strongly suspect that that is what the rifle barrel in question is made of, not that it’s chrome lined.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
WAY overpriced.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be buying a Remington anything these days.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post