SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger No. 1 International
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 International Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a 77 International and No 1 International, both in 257 Roberts, both have taken deer. They are plenty accurate for most hunting situations, but the barrels do heat up quickly so sighting in can be a time consuming process. However, with my handloads both are 1 inch guns at 100 yards. Thats pretty good and plenty accurate enough for me.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BigBoreShooter has my exact Ruger # 1 RSI in 7x57 caliber! Kudos, Sir. Is your scope a Leupold in 2x9x33mm?
I also have a Ruger # 1 VHB in .25-06.
They are my only hunting rifles. I apologise for no pics at the moment.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhorse4:
BigBoreShooter has my exact Ruger # 1 RSI in 7x57 caliber! Kudos, Sir. Is your scope a Leupold in 2x9x33mm?
I also have a Ruger # 1 VHB in .25-06.
They are my only hunting rifles. I apologise for no pics at the moment.
Blackhorse4

I had a 1V in 25-06 for awhile but got rid of it. Still have a 1B in .270.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got a Model 1B in 30'06. It's very accurate, but I haven't used it much for hunting since I picked up a Remington Model 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. The 1B accounted for this Red Stag in Argentina a few years ago, at over 300 yards.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information and pics.

Please keep them coming.

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Posted a bunch of times... my RSI in .243 Win.

The other is a .475 Linebaugh.
I have one in .450/400 Nitro Express also, I have to get them all together for a picture some day.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
BTT.

I have had the money for a couple of months, but the last and the next OGCA shows have been cancelled.

Anyone else have some pics to share, to help me through, until I can get one of my own.

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Based on the current offerings at Ammo Seek I doubt the cartridge is going to disappear any time soon, but you will pay a higher price for the ammo just to punch paper.

I inherited a .257 Roberts and enjoy shooting it on rare occasion. It's a great cartridge, but mine is trapped in a less-than-stellar platform - the Remington 760. I have always wanted to purchase a better rifle in this caliber because it has lots of accuracy potential, especially if you reload.

Throw ".257 Roberts reviews" into a search engine and you'll find lots of links to rave reviews of the caliber. And if you decide not to purchase this particular Ruger, shoot me an email with a link to it. Wink

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.

Its a great deer round but I don't think it has anything extra going for it on the range. Factory ammo is limited and expensive, though you have more bullet choices than, say, a 243 Win to which it is most often compared.

The 257 Bob is based on the x57 case whereas the 243 is a necked down 308. 243 is short action vs the long action 257. Probably not a big factor with a #1.

Make no mistake, though... I would certainly love having a Number 1 in 257 as I believe niche rifles deserve niche chamberings. Smile I'd rather have one in 7x57 or 280, though.

Lastly, I have 4 or 5 Ruger factory red pads if you think you want to swap out a black if you can't find one. It's cheating, but I won't tell.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Its a great deer round but I don't think it has anything extra going for it on the range. Factory ammo is limited and expensive, though you have more bullet choices than, say, a 243 Win to which it is most often compared.

The 257 Bob is based on the x57 case whereas the 243 is a necked down 308. 243 is short action vs the long action 257. Probably not a big factor with a #1.

Make no mistake, though... I would certainly love having a Number 1 in 257 as I believe niche rifles deserve niche chamberings. Smile I'd rather have one in 7x57 or 280, though.

Lastly, I have 4 or 5 Ruger factory red pads if you think you want to swap out a black if you can't find one. It's cheating, but I won't tell.

Thank you for the information and the offer for a red pad. I had no idea red pads were available by themselves.

I will keep this thread going until I finally choose one.

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't know how "available" they are but I bought some off a guy on rugerforum some years ago. I had one on a No 1 2506 but put the black one back on when I sold it. I also have a boat paddle/stainless rifle that I want to put a walnut stock/red pad on.

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Well, it finally happened.

I pulled the trigger on one I found on GB.

It is chambered for .308, has (from what I could see in the pics) good wood, it is stainless and it has a red pad.

I hope to be able to pick it up Friday or Monday.

I have also been reading quite a bit about finding the right glass. It sounds like this rifle is a little harder to scope than most.

I am excited to add this to my small collection.

I will post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and pics.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I bought an RSI this time last near; never knew it existed.

at the shop:

I didn't buy it on the spot but once I realized how hard they were to find, I drove back down 5hrs round trip a couple days later.

I bought a Galco sling for it and a spare front sling loop (they come black!) and polished and waxed it to match.

I also found a rare "basket weave" 10/22 International (only made in black action) and a spare 10/22 in stainless and swapped it over.

Oh my....nice wood

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, it finally happened.

I pulled the trigger on one I found on GB.

It is chambered for .308, has (from what I could see in the pics) good wood, it is stainless and it has a red pad.

I hope to be able to pick it up Friday or Monday.

I have also been reading quite a bit about finding the right glass. It sounds like this rifle is a little harder to scope than most.

I am excited to add this to my small collection.

I will post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and pics.

As long as you have a scope with good eye relief you'll be fine. It can be hard to mount the scope rearward enough as the dovetails in the receiver are at such a place as to intrude on the scope's adjustment knobs. Ruger makes an offset scope base/ring but as long as you have 3 1/2" to 4" of eye relief you should be fine.

As you see, the scope could not move much more to the rear.

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Well it arrived today. To say I am happy, is an understatement.

When I called the shop that was handling the transfer, the gentleman who answered the phone even commented on what a beautiful rifle it is.

While the wood is not quite as nice as PGT's (that is the best factory Ruger wood I have ever seen), it is in the top 5% of #1 Internationals I have looked at over the past several months.

Great wood, stainless, a red pad and chambered for .308. Grand slam.

I will do my best to post pics tomorrow, when I can get some outside.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Yeah....I drove 4hrs round trip back to buy the one I got because I didn't want to play the wood lottery with one online when that one was so nice

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a number one (not an international) in 45/70 and with 405 grain RNFP handloads I could put ten rounds in one inch at 100 yards off a sandbag. Factory rifle.

Wish I’d have never sold that one.

Good rifles. Once you hand tune a round to your rifle, you will be satisfied.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Awesome! Yeah....I drove 4hrs round trip back to buy the one I got because I didn't want to play the wood lottery with one online when that one was so nice

Plenty of then have good buttstock wood but not many have anything special in the fore end. Yours definitely stands out.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought another No.1 a could weeks ago and the wood, while it has nothing wrong with it, is very plain compared to my others. Can't complain though, it wasn't a planned purchase. Offered to buy it pretty much sight unseen. Got it from a coworkers, friend's widow. Frown Payed more than I could have, but enough that I didn't feel like I was taking advantage, but yet a good enough price to excuse buying something I surely don't need. lol

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post