SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger No. 1 International
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 International Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
I have posted in the past, that I am infatuated with this rifle. I have a few questions regarding the International model.

1) Are there some years that are viewed as better than others?

2) Is there a particular caliber that is better suited for the shorter barrel?

3) Are the stainless models superior or inferior to the std. blue steel?

4) What type of accuracy can I expect, with a decent scope? Any recommendations?

As much as want to believe I will use it for hunting, the reality is that it will realistically be used to punch holes in a few targets from time to time.

As always, thank you to the brain trust here at SIGforum, for the wealth of knowledge you provide.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To this day I think the Ruger No. 1 International was the coolest rifle ever made.
But although I have owned a couple of No. 1s and a 10/22 with “Mannlicher” stock, never a No. 1 International. If I won the lottery and had the room for it, that would be one rifle hanging on the wall. It would also probably be chambered for one of the odd, thumper cartridges with a massive bore that would allow us to crawl down inside to inspect the rifling, and whose precision and accuracy would be immaterial to its overall awesomeness. Wink

If you succumb to the temptation, please post its pictures here.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I think the largest caliber the International was made in was .30/06, not a real "thumper"

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
1) Are there some years that are viewed as better than others?

For the quality of Ruger rifle barrels in general, yes. But I don't recall the particulars off the top of my head. The newer ones being better supposedly.

2) Is there a particular caliber that is better suited for the shorter barrel?

Probably the smaller cased ones, in theory.

3) Are the stainless models superior or inferior to the std. blue steel?

IMO, inferior cosmetically, superior practically.

4) What type of accuracy can I expect, with a decent scope? Any recommendations?

"Hunting accuracy." They will never be "target rifles". My .243 is probably a 2 MOA gun at best, but that's with a low power scope on it. It no doubt would do better with more glass.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I think the caliber plays a big role in the scope you eventually end up with. Well, at least it is with me. An example would be my Browning B78.

I'm sensitive to scope bite. Have been since my first injury with a Remington and an off brand scope. It was a .270, and it maybe had an inch of relief. It didn't bite every shot, only when you got excited and forgot. Then entire combination was a POS. It was also the end of my romance with Remington. Never again.

Back to the B78, I found a 1-4x Leupould. It also featured about 4" of eye relief. What a bargain! Better still, it was inexpensive because no one wanted 1-4x, they needed 20x. Well, my rifle was 45-70 and I didn't want that. A situation where low magnification and "too much" eye relief was ideal. Generally you can mount the scope a bit forward to make it ideal.

So its probably a good idea to select your caliber before looking at scopes. For me, the heavy recoiling calibers dictate more eye relief. I once "stole" a BAR without a scope. Great gun, but it had 1" rings. At the next gun show a friend had a Zeiss 1-4.5 variable. My earlier experience with the 45-70 made me want to take the chance. The only problem was the scope was a 30mm. Not a big deal, I just bought new 30mm rings.

You go to the OGCA shows, look for a like new scope at the next one. Just be smarter than I was get rings and bases that match it. The examples I gave were for "woods" scopes. Things for old men who don't see so good anymore and aren't for shooting into the next county.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I think the largest caliber the International was made in was .30/06, not a real "thumper"

You can find them in 9.3x74R online, FWIW.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I have one in .270. It tends to string vertically as the barrel heats up.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Ruger barrels were made by (dates approximate):
Douglas barrels 1967 - 1973
Wilson barrels 1973 - 1991
Ruger barrels 1991 - Present

From what I know, Douglas barrels were consistently good barrels. Wilson was more inconsistent... might get a great one, maybe not. Red butt pads are also particularly adored because red butt pads are beautiful.

For caliber, obviously something is doesn't need 24" to burn it's powder. No magnums. If it were me, it'd be a 7x57.

Stainless... bleh to look at but probably better if it's going to be abused. I doubt I'll ever own a showpiece rifle in stainless/laminate, though.

All of them should be plenty accurate for medium game hunting at 0-300 yards. 2 MOA about the norm, I think.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I never saw the International model in that caliber, I have a Tropical in 416 Rigby .

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Lipsey's currently has No 1 Internationals in 257 Bob, 6.5x55, and 308 Win.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I had a stainless/laminate Ruger 1H Tropical in
.375 H & H. Beautiful rifle and quite accurate.
4-12 VX II Leupold on it. Recoil was nasty!
Sold the #1 and got a 1st generation Rem 700 XCR in .375 H & H. The synthetic stocked 700 is a bit less recoil. Must be stock flex that makes the difference, weights were similar.
Did you know a .375 H & H with a 260-270 grain spire point boat tail projectile shoots as flat as a 150 grain spire point projectile in a .308 Win out to about 300 yards? That's a reasonable self imposed maximum range while hunting.
That .375 load has more energy at 300 yards than the .308 has at the muzzle.
And the .375 has about double the energy at the muzzle.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I bought an RSI this time last near; never knew it existed.

at the shop:

I didn't buy it on the spot but once I realized how hard they were to find, I drove back down 5hrs round trip a couple days later.

I bought a Galco sling for it and a spare front sling loop (they come black!) and polished and waxed it to match.

I also found a rare "basket weave" 10/22 International (only made in black action) and a spare 10/22 in stainless and swapped it over.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information and pics. That is absolutely one beautiful rifle!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I had a stainless/laminate Ruger 1H Tropical in
.375 H & H. Beautiful rifle and quite accurate.
4-12 VX II Leupold on it. Recoil was nasty!
Sold the #1 and got a 1st generation Rem 700 XCR in .375 H & H. The synthetic stocked 700 is a bit less recoil. Must be stock flex that makes the difference, weights were similar.
Did you know a .375 H & H with a 260-270 grain spire point boat tail projectile shoots as flat as a 150 grain spire point projectile in a .308 Win out to about 300 yards? That's a reasonable self imposed maximum range while hunting.
That .375 load has more energy at 300 yards than the .308 has at the muzzle.
And the .375 has about double the energy at the muzzle.

I mounted a Primary Arms 1-6 scope with the ACSS retical on my Weatherby Mark V DGR chambered in 375 Weatherby, It will also shoot 375 H&H magnums. The retical is set up for 308.
As you stated the 308 and the 375 have about the same trajectory except the 375 is throwing bullets 100+ grains heavier.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
PGT, that is a gorgeous little carbine!

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I never saw the International model in that caliber, I have a Tropical in 416 Rigby .

Yeah, see, there's some doubt in my mind as to whether the 9.3 really qualifies as a "thumper" (thus the "FWIW"), but there can be no such doubt about the .416 Rigby.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
A Ruger with decent wood! Who'd a thunk it possible.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always wanted one in 7x57. Passed one up years ago for $500. Must’ve needed diapers or formula or gas at the time. Screwed up priorities

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned several Ruger RSI's over the years, but only one of them was a No. 1, the others were M77RSI's

My No. 1 RSI in 7x57 was always plenty accurate enough for my needs with sub 1.5" groups with loads it liked.

And it always held up its end of the bargain in the field.

sawmill grill

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bigboreshooter,

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I like the M77 Internationals, but love the No. 1 International.

Please keep the pics and personal experiences coming.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve