SIGforum
Ruger No. 1 International

This topic can be found at:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1340069564

February 03, 2020, 08:54 AM
66tas
Ruger No. 1 International
I have a 77 International and No 1 International, both in 257 Roberts, both have taken deer. They are plenty accurate for most hunting situations, but the barrels do heat up quickly so sighting in can be a time consuming process. However, with my handloads both are 1 inch guns at 100 yards. Thats pretty good and plenty accurate enough for me.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.
February 14, 2020, 07:58 PM
Blackhorse4
BigBoreShooter has my exact Ruger # 1 RSI in 7x57 caliber! Kudos, Sir. Is your scope a Leupold in 2x9x33mm?
I also have a Ruger # 1 VHB in .25-06.
They are my only hunting rifles. I apologise for no pics at the moment.
Blackhorse4
February 14, 2020, 08:02 PM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhorse4:
BigBoreShooter has my exact Ruger # 1 RSI in 7x57 caliber! Kudos, Sir. Is your scope a Leupold in 2x9x33mm?
I also have a Ruger # 1 VHB in .25-06.
They are my only hunting rifles. I apologise for no pics at the moment.
Blackhorse4

I had a 1V in 25-06 for awhile but got rid of it. Still have a 1B in .270.

"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."
February 15, 2020, 10:59 AM
pulicords
I've got a Model 1B in 30'06. It's very accurate, but I haven't used it much for hunting since I picked up a Remington Model 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. The 1B accounted for this Red Stag in Argentina a few years ago, at over 300 yards.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
February 19, 2020, 06:20 PM
P-220
Thank you all for the information and pics.

Please keep them coming.

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
February 21, 2020, 05:15 PM
cas
Posted a bunch of times... my RSI in .243 Win.

The other is a .475 Linebaugh.
I have one in .450/400 Nitro Express also, I have to get them all together for a picture some day.

May 09, 2020, 03:17 PM
P-220
BTT.

I have had the money for a couple of months, but the last and the next OGCA shows have been cancelled.

Anyone else have some pics to share, to help me through, until I can get one of my own.

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
May 15, 2020, 06:03 PM
P-220
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
May 15, 2020, 06:49 PM
Tailhook 84
Based on the current offerings at Ammo Seek I doubt the cartridge is going to disappear any time soon, but you will pay a higher price for the ammo just to punch paper.

I inherited a .257 Roberts and enjoy shooting it on rare occasion. It's a great cartridge, but mine is trapped in a less-than-stellar platform - the Remington 760. I have always wanted to purchase a better rifle in this caliber because it has lots of accuracy potential, especially if you reload.

Throw ".257 Roberts reviews" into a search engine and you'll find lots of links to rave reviews of the caliber. And if you decide not to purchase this particular Ruger, shoot me an email with a link to it. Wink

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."
May 15, 2020, 07:08 PM
YellowJacket
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.

Its a great deer round but I don't think it has anything extra going for it on the range. Factory ammo is limited and expensive, though you have more bullet choices than, say, a 243 Win to which it is most often compared.

The 257 Bob is based on the x57 case whereas the 243 is a necked down 308. 243 is short action vs the long action 257. Probably not a big factor with a #1.

Make no mistake, though... I would certainly love having a Number 1 in 257 as I believe niche rifles deserve niche chamberings. Smile I'd rather have one in 7x57 or 280, though.

Lastly, I have 4 or 5 Ruger factory red pads if you think you want to swap out a black if you can't find one. It's cheating, but I won't tell.

May 16, 2020, 12:03 PM
P-220
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

Its a great deer round but I don't think it has anything extra going for it on the range. Factory ammo is limited and expensive, though you have more bullet choices than, say, a 243 Win to which it is most often compared.

The 257 Bob is based on the x57 case whereas the 243 is a necked down 308. 243 is short action vs the long action 257. Probably not a big factor with a #1.

Make no mistake, though... I would certainly love having a Number 1 in 257 as I believe niche rifles deserve niche chamberings. Smile I'd rather have one in 7x57 or 280, though.

Lastly, I have 4 or 5 Ruger factory red pads if you think you want to swap out a black if you can't find one. It's cheating, but I won't tell.

Thank you for the information and the offer for a red pad. I had no idea red pads were available by themselves.

I will keep this thread going until I finally choose one.

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
May 16, 2020, 07:56 PM
YellowJacket
I don't know how "available" they are but I bought some off a guy on rugerforum some years ago. I had one on a No 1 2506 but put the black one back on when I sold it. I also have a boat paddle/stainless rifle that I want to put a walnut stock/red pad on.