SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger No. 1 International
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ruger No. 1 International Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a 77 International and No 1 International, both in 257 Roberts, both have taken deer. They are plenty accurate for most hunting situations, but the barrels do heat up quickly so sighting in can be a time consuming process. However, with my handloads both are 1 inch guns at 100 yards. Thats pretty good and plenty accurate enough for me.



Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.
 
Posts: 130 | Location: Senoia, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
BigBoreShooter has my exact Ruger # 1 RSI in 7x57 caliber! Kudos, Sir. Is your scope a Leupold in 2x9x33mm?
I also have a Ruger # 1 VHB in .25-06.
They are my only hunting rifles. I apologise for no pics at the moment.
Blackhorse4
 
Posts: 38 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhorse4:
BigBoreShooter has my exact Ruger # 1 RSI in 7x57 caliber! Kudos, Sir. Is your scope a Leupold in 2x9x33mm?
I also have a Ruger # 1 VHB in .25-06.
They are my only hunting rifles. I apologise for no pics at the moment.
Blackhorse4

I had a 1V in 25-06 for awhile but got rid of it. Still have a 1B in .270.



"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."
 
Posts: 9044 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got a Model 1B in 30'06. It's very accurate, but I haven't used it much for hunting since I picked up a Remington Model 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. The 1B accounted for this Red Stag in Argentina a few years ago, at over 300 yards.



"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
 
Posts: 9001 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information and pics.

Please keep them coming.

Thank you.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 35561 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Posted a bunch of times... my RSI in .243 Win.



The other is a .475 Linebaugh.
I have one in .450/400 Nitro Express also, I have to get them all together for a picture some day.


_____________________________________________________
Sliced bread, the greatest thing since the 1911.

 
Posts: 17684 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
BTT.

I have had the money for a couple of months, but the last and the next OGCA shows have been cancelled.

Anyone else have some pics to share, to help me through, until I can get one of my own.

Thank you.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 35561 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 35561 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Based on the current offerings at Ammo Seek I doubt the cartridge is going to disappear any time soon, but you will pay a higher price for the ammo just to punch paper.

I inherited a .257 Roberts and enjoy shooting it on rare occasion. It's a great cartridge, but mine is trapped in a less-than-stellar platform - the Remington 760. I have always wanted to purchase a better rifle in this caliber because it has lots of accuracy potential, especially if you reload.

Throw ".257 Roberts reviews" into a search engine and you'll find lots of links to rave reviews of the caliber. And if you decide not to purchase this particular Ruger, shoot me an email with a link to it. Wink




"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."
 
Posts: 2240 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.


Its a great deer round but I don't think it has anything extra going for it on the range. Factory ammo is limited and expensive, though you have more bullet choices than, say, a 243 Win to which it is most often compared.

The 257 Bob is based on the x57 case whereas the 243 is a necked down 308. 243 is short action vs the long action 257. Probably not a big factor with a #1.

Make no mistake, though... I would certainly love having a Number 1 in 257 as I believe niche rifles deserve niche chamberings. Smile I'd rather have one in 7x57 or 280, though.

Lastly, I have 4 or 5 Ruger factory red pads if you think you want to swap out a black if you can't find one. It's cheating, but I won't tell.



"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."
 
Posts: 9044 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Ok, continuing my search, I have looked at hundreds of #1 Internationals over the past few months.

I have found some variations, better wood and red pads being two that are important to me.

Today I found one that is stainless, great looking wood and a red pad. It is chambered for .257 Roberts, a caliber I know little about. The strange thing is the same model # has a black pad on the others I have seen. All are brand new, so I am unsure where the red pad came from, but I found it striking.

The realty is that it will probably punch holes in paper and not be used for hunting.

Is the .257 Roberts a caliber worth considering, or is it one of those I may regret long term.


Its a great deer round but I don't think it has anything extra going for it on the range. Factory ammo is limited and expensive, though you have more bullet choices than, say, a 243 Win to which it is most often compared.

The 257 Bob is based on the x57 case whereas the 243 is a necked down 308. 243 is short action vs the long action 257. Probably not a big factor with a #1.

Make no mistake, though... I would certainly love having a Number 1 in 257 as I believe niche rifles deserve niche chamberings. Smile I'd rather have one in 7x57 or 280, though.

Lastly, I have 4 or 5 Ruger factory red pads if you think you want to swap out a black if you can't find one. It's cheating, but I won't tell.


Thank you for the information and the offer for a red pad. I had no idea red pads were available by themselves.

I will keep this thread going until I finally choose one.

Thanks again to all who have contributed.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 35561 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't know how "available" they are but I bought some off a guy on rugerforum some years ago. I had one on a No 1 2506 but put the black one back on when I sold it. I also have a boat paddle/stainless rifle that I want to put a walnut stock/red pad on.



"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."
 
Posts: 9044 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger No. 1 International

© SIGforum 2020