SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage's new "Impulse" straight pull rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage's new "Impulse" straight pull rifle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly interested. I love my K31, Ross and M95.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had at least 3 different straight pull rifles. While interesting and if you can afford to play with one I think their disadvantages outweigh most of their advantages.

The nicest thing that most people are never aware of on their bolt action rifle is that camming power the bolt action rifle has. Straight pull rifles do NOT have the powerful case extraction that Bolt guns have. They are like autorifles in that they need FL sized cases to properly function.

My Blaser LRS II would close but not fire on some non-FL sized cases that my bolt guns didn't even notice. If you only fire factory loads this is Zero issue, if you handled it can be an important one. It would be unwise to push the pressure limits on a straight-pull rifle, the action is plenty strong but that doesn't mean it will extract the cases of hot loads like a bolt gun will.

I also have a straight pull Steyr 22 lr. Neat gun and fun to shoot but for normal fast plinking 99.9% of folks would rather just have an automatic. The Olympic level straight pull 22's are a different animal all together. For their purpose they are just the thing but not many of us are skiing cross country and shooting their 22's ;-). Again both are really interesting and fun guns if you can afford them but most folks would be as happy or happier with a far less expensive and far more versatile 22 automatic.

The Schmidt-Ruben's are one of the nicest military rifles in History. I highly recommend all military rifle enthusiasts to own one for their collection. Again for that purpose they are great but I doubt that many people would ever hunt with one. I have no clue where to buy hunting ammo for one.

So in the end enjoy any or all of the above if you can afford to. But if you are only going to own one or two rifles there are better choices. - LOL I guess if you can afford a Blaser and several barrels that's another discussion..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
What you said about primary extraction is a concern I have about straight pulls. Some bolt actions grip the cartridge hard enough that it turns in the chamber when the bolt handle is lifted, then you get to the primary extraction point and the camming helps even more. Some straight pulls have a rotating bolt head but I'm not sure the straight back pull is sufficient to turn spent case in the chamber. Obviously with this Savage (and the Heym SR30), there is no turning the case which can help unstick it, and no real primary extraction. So I agree, that could be an issue.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i dig it. i still want a straight-pull lynx rifle.

i think this design is interesting. i would have to see how the action felt vs a k31 or SR 1911 i have.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
What you said about primary extraction is a concern I have about straight pulls. Some bolt actions grip the cartridge hard enough that it turns in the chamber when the bolt handle is lifted, then you get to the primary extraction point and the camming helps even more. Some straight pulls have a rotating bolt head but I'm not sure the straight back pull is sufficient to turn spent case in the chamber. Obviously with this Savage (and the Heym SR30), there is no turning the case which can help unstick it, and no real primary extraction. So I agree, that could be an issue.

It doesn't "HAVE" to be an issue but so many reloaders these days START at the max load and keep going up until they flatten primers or get "sticky Bolt Lift". Straight Pull rifles are NOT the rifles for these people. Smart reloaders just realize their limitations and load accordingly.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I don't handload. I'd like to get one in .308. I've got a large quantity of 7.62 NATO that I think would be perfect in it. A little lower pressure than .308.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truly ambi bolt rifle. I refuse to buy a right handed bolt to use left handed. But a left hand bolt with right side load and eject will do, and I don't have to custom order the thing. If I see one and like the action, I might get one.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:a

The Schmidt-Ruben's are one of the nicest military rifles in History. I highly recommend all military rifle enthusiasts to own one for their collection. Again for that purpose they are great but I doubt that many people would ever hunt with one. I have no clue where to buy hunting ammo for one.

Simple to make it - it's only a .308 bullet after all.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even if you don't reload, there are a few companies (like Prvi and Hornady) that offer soft point hunting loads for 7.5 Swiss.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a old Mannlicher M1888 rifle that is straight pull. It dates to the Spanish American War.
Its chambered for 8x56?
The barrel is shot.
The value of the rifle does not appear to be much, maybe a wall hanger.
I have always thought about using the action on a new build, not sure it would be worth the cost.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post