SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ar 15 Pistol upper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ar 15 Pistol upper Login/Join 
posted
I would like to put one of these together but first a question. On the upper I find some that say 10inch pistol upper while other short uppers do not. Is there a difference between a pistol upper and a short barrel rifle upper. It will be 223 and what is a good lenght 7,9,10 inch or some other lenght. Thanks

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
An upper is an upper. There is no difference between an upper for a pistol or rifle AR. Do you plan on keeping it as a pistol or later turning it into a SBR? If keeping it as a pistol with no stock of any kind then I would stick with a short barrel such as 7”.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Do keep an eye out on the gas system. They have a pistol gas tube that is really short. There are many 10" barrels that use a regular M4 gas tube.

The shorter the gas tube the harsher it is on the gun.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
My 5.56 AR pistol has a 10.5 inch barrel with a carbine length gas system. The longer gas tube, increased velocity and, in my opinion, the better overall look of the 10.5 barrel vs a 7, were my factors in choosing the 10.5 for my 5.56 pistol build.

Now, my 9mm AR pistol has a 7 inch barrel and no gas tube since it's blowback operated. I put a shockwave blade on both of them and they are blast to shoot. I've had no issues with either so I can't comment about which is a more reliable system.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 585 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you starting with for lower? Was it a rifle at purchase or a stripped lower registered as a pistol or other.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I've always had my ffl put my stripped lowers as "other" and you can build whatever you want. I've never purchased a dedicated pistol lower, so I don't know how that would be transferred.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 585 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I will be starting from nothing so all the ideas are great.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a difference between a pistol upper and a short barrel rifle upper.

Only the paperwork (tax stamp) for the lower it's attached to.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post