SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How are Palmetto State Armory ARs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are Palmetto State Armory ARs Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have a couple. No problems at all.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have about 2k rounds through this rifle. Almost all suppressed. It gets run pretty hard at times, hot and dirty as shooting with a suppressor will quickly cook your lube and put a lot more fouling into the gun.

The upper receiver, barrel, and complete bolt carrier group are from Palmetto. Buffer and buffer spring are as well. I rarely/never buy complete rifles because I would take off half the parts before I had it the way I wanted it.

PSA has had some issues with spotty QC on complete rifles. The components are of good quality, but sometimes, rarely, they have an assembly issue.

I have handled 3 complete PSA uppers and they have worked perfectly.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Most of the barrels are over gassed. They own DC machine, which makes most of their barrels, and they build them to their own specs.

Try to find one with a FN barrel, and it should be made to spec with the proper size gas port.

I recall seeing a chart with recommended gas port sizes for various lengths. I also know that the ideal port size for .223 is different than NATO 5.56 — and varies with the length — but I can’t find that reference.

If the PSA barrels are over-gassed, that would favor .223, I’d think? I defer to those with more knowledge on the subject.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Most of the barrels are over gassed. They own DC machine, which makes most of their barrels, and they build them to their own specs.

Try to find one with a FN barrel, and it should be made to spec with the proper size gas port.

I recall seeing a chart with recommended gas port sizes for various lengths. I also know that the ideal port size for .223 is different than NATO 5.56 — and varies with the length — but I can’t find that reference.

If the PSA barrels are over-gassed, that would favor .223, I’d think? I defer to those with more knowledge on the subject.

They may be over-gassed with something like Lake City M193. That is because they want them to run with the lower powered Wolf 223 that they rightly assume many people are going to run through their budget builds.

I shoot suppressed so any barrel is going to be overgassed without something like an adjustable gas block to attenuate the gas properly.

You can mitigate the issue somewhat with a heavier buffer. Or you can install an adjustable gas block. I favor the JP Enterprises 2 piece click adjustable gas block.

Personally it doesn't bother me because I like to tune my rifle and my ammo together. The only real downside to a slightly oversized gas port is a bit more recoil. If a rifle is significantly overgassed it can manifest as a variety of malfunctions that need to be addressed. I used my Palmetto barrels with a silencer before adding adjustable gas blocks and they ran fine, they were quite gassy to the face though. Which is not unusual with any silencer. When I added the adj gas blocks I was able to tune that gas to the face out and the rifle still functions perfectly with or without the silencer attached.

A rifle like a Colt 6920 can have a smaller gas port and still be perfect for military use because the military is only going to use military spec ammunition.

"Made to spec" can be a bit of a confounding metric because many of us are using a system that is outside of the envelope of what the military expects for their guns.

My competition rifles all have adjustable gas blocks and low mass reciprocating parts. Which is outside of 'mil spec' but more desirable for what I am doing.

Most of my other rifles get shot with suppressors attached which again departs for what the military specifies for most of their rifles.

Many of us use cheap ammo because we don't have the same ammo budget as Uncle Sugar. Which departs from what is 'mil spec'. You may be very disappointed if you buy a mil spec rifle and then try to get it to digest cheaper ammo. Wolf steel case is not loaded as hot as M193 or even most commercial 223. A few cases of Wolf and I have saved the equivalent of a new bolt and barrel. That may or may not be an important criteria for you.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA Spacerider lowers are now $30 plus shipping:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...ontent=12%3a00+Email

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thirty bucks?!? Jeepers, man, that makes me want to buy a batch of 'em! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A month ago I would have nothing but good things to say about PSA. Today, I can't say the same.

I ordered quite a bit from them over the last 6 months including 2 uppers, and a lower. All were GTG. No complaints.

That changed when I ordered a .300 BO pistol build kit.

First issue was minor, the spray glue or whatever they use to hold the foam in their boxes left strings all over the upper. Not a big deal, but a bit of a pain.

Then came the WTF moments. While cleaning glue strings off I notice a big ding in the flash can finish. While looking at that I notice what looks like plier marks in the finish on the flash can... then I notice my fingers are black with powder residue from the flash can and bcg, oh and what's this, but a dozen or so brass marks on the deflector, and brass marks on the underside of the bcg. Further inspection shows a chunk of finish missing from the front takedown pin hole, and another where the dust cover latches.

Clearly someone sent out a used return upper or something because no way is this a new upper. So I'm disappointed, but figure they'll make it right.

So I call their customer service (this is Friday at about 3 pm. I wait on hold for about 15 mins while I look through their website. I come across a contact form and so I hang up and fill it out. I thought they were a fairly decent size operation, but apparently they are not open on weekends. You wouldn't know this however from anything on the website, nor if you call them on the weekend like I did, again sitting on hold. I then reached out to them on their corporate page on ar15.com. Apparently they don't monitor that on the weekend either... I was hoping to reach them on the weekend as I had to travel the following week, but that didn't happen.

Monday I heard back from my IM to their corporate account at ar15.com, and also from their customer contact form. Both informed me that brass marks are normal on the deflector and that shows me it's been test fired Roll Eyes Has anyone else bought a new upper or complete gun that came to them dirty, damaged and with brass marks? I haven't including the two previous uppers I ordered from PSA.

They asked for pictures, of which I had a few on my phone thankfully as I was out of town so couldn't take any more. I sent over what I had, and got a response saying, "oh yeah, that should have been sold as a blem" I'll give you a $75 credit, or you can return it. I couldn't return it quick enough.

This has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I really want to like them, and had they just apogized and owned up to sending this cap out I could have respected that. To tell me "oh yeah, that's how it is" just really rubbed me the wrong way. Not to mention the time it's taking to.resolve this, and having to spend my time to box it back up, print out the return label, and drop it off at UPS.

I won't say I'm completely done with them, but think I'm done with their products. Might still order pmags, and such as they do have great prices.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
^^^

Sounds like they let one slip through, and offered two options for resolution the next business day.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^

Sounds like they let one slip through, and offered two options for resolution the next business day.

This. There was a problem and they fixed it.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad that I'm retired.

I had to go back and look closer at the last several uppers that I've bought from them. Even the one advertised as a Blem; I couldn't find any blemish. Now they're all stacked against each other in the safe.

Everything I've bought from them has been very good, at the lowest price.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
I'm so glad that I'm retired.

I had to go back and look closer at the last several uppers that I've bought from them. Even the one advertised as a Blem; I couldn't find any blemish. Now they're all stacked against each other in the safe.

Everything I've bought from them has been very good, at the lowest price.

I've heard similar sentiment from others about their blems, but what I purchased was not a blem, but supposed to be new.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^

Options yes, but to tell me that "oh that's normal" is what I'm upset with.

Have you ever received a new upper in the condition I described?

Now I've had to spend my time, and my money to correct their mistake. Had they offered me $75 and replaced it I wouldn't complain. Since they offered me nothing and said, oh yeah, that's normal that's what I'm not happy with.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
About 2k rounds through my midlength upper with an FN barrel. Exactly one stoppage, with lacquer cased Wolf stuff after not cleaning it for the first thousand rounds. Pounded it clear with a range rod and cleaned and lubed it and no problems since. I'm no competition shooter, but it shoots one ragged hole at 50 yards with Hornady TAP 75gr. No complaints.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since they offered me nothing and said, oh yeah, that's normal that's what I'm not happy with.

This statement is not consistent with your post above. Did they not offer to replace it?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
^^^

Now I've had to spend my time, and my money to correct their mistake. Had they offered me $75 and replaced it I wouldn't complain. Since they offered me nothing and said, oh yeah, that's normal that's what I'm not happy with.

You could still contact PSA and demand a store credit or gift certificate for your lost time and shipping expenses. The onus is on you. PSA is in the business of selling as many uppers and lowers as they possibly can, and they’re sure to make mistakes. Just call them up and tell them what you expect, and perhaps you can come back to the forum(s) you frequent with a positive follow-up report.

RB

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I mean, PSA ARs are first and foremost CHEAP.

While some think that a $400 AR is the same as all the other ARs, the cuts have to come somewhere in the business. Maybe it's test firing procedures, maybe it's customer service, but it's gotta come from somewhere. Likely also in materials / construction, but of course chest thumpers will say FN BARRELS GD-it, and I won't argue whatever point that attempts to make.

So to buy a cheap AR upper and expect to get the red carpet rolled out for a problem is likely expecting a bit much.

Good, Fast, Cheap <--- The rule of thumb is "Pick 2".

And yes, PSA makes what many consider good to serviceable ARs that turn ammunition into noise, empty brass, and holes on targets.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Since they offered me nothing and said, oh yeah, that's normal that's what I'm not happy with.

This statement is not consistent with your post above. Did they not offer to replace it?

You've merely taken a part of my post and based an opinion off it.

They offered me nothing for my time or effort in returning their defective product. Their offer of a replacement is a given having not delivered a new product as promised in our original agreement.

I feel I've derailed this thread, which wasn't my original intention, but nevertheless I did. As to their quality I've been happy with PSA. As to their customer service, I have not.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
^^^

You could still contact PSA and demand a store credit or gift certificate for your lost time and shipping expenses. The onus is on you. PSA is in the business of selling as many uppers and lowers as they possibly can, and they’re sure to make mistakes. Just call them up and tell them what you expect, and perhaps you can come back to the forum(s) you frequent with a positive follow-up report.

I have, and am awaiting a response. Just to give you a frame of reference this entire return is now pushing 2 weeks. Again, not what I'd call customer service.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I mean, PSA ARs are first and foremost CHEAP.

While some think that a $400 AR is the same as all the other ARs, the cuts have to come somewhere in the business. Maybe it's test firing procedures, maybe it's customer service, but it's gotta come from somewhere. Likely also in materials / construction, but of course chest thumpers will say FN BARRELS GD-it, and I won't argue whatever point that attempts to make.

So to buy a cheap AR upper and expect to get the red carpet rolled out for a problem is likely expecting a bit much.

Good, Fast, Cheap <--- The rule of thumb is "Pick 2".

And yes, PSA makes what many consider good to serviceable ARs that turn ammunition into noise, empty brass, and holes on targets.

Very well said, and I agree. I was just hoping to provide an anectdote of my recent experience. As I said up till recently, no negatives, but now that I have one I'll tread lightly with them, and wanted to share my experience with the OP.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
PSA is a go to if you want cheap prices, can wait to get the product and sometimes need to return / complain because your order is jacked up.

PSA has sent me unwrapped ammo cans full of ammo in a large box, which bounced around, banging into the other stuff in the box. They forgot to send me an Aimpoint Pro RDS. They sent me 30-06 ammo instead of 308 and took 3 months to send me a return label (I had already resold the 30-06 ammo after giving them fair warning). Then I received an out of spec charging handle in a PSA upper that had gouged the top/inner of the upper receiver, so I just threw it away and replaced it with another I had (it's my hand to redneck gun in case of TEOTWAWKI and shoots about 4 MOA at 100, which is good enough for potential rednecks in need of an AR15).

Yes, their stuff normally works but they are like the Dollar Store of AR15 shops. They have a lot of stuff, it's cheap, but it can be banged up and kind of, well, cheap stuff.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post