SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me build an AR-15
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me build an AR-15 Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted
I have been thinking about building a lightweight AR for some time. This is my first AR build. I think I am ready to buy the parts. Maybe you folks could steer me in the right direction? I shoot mainly steel targets from 50 - 300 yards. I have a few questions but will hold off until I get some feedback on parts list. Thanks!

Main Parts:
2A Balios matched reciever set
Geissle Trigger
JP Enterprises Bolt Carrier
Proof Research 16" Barrel
13.5" v7 hand guard
Adjustable gas block

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the buffer and buffer spring, Swap over to JP enterprises silent capture set up. It is so much nicer and easy to tune to a different caliber if you swap uppers.

I don't have any exp with Proof research barrels.
I do have some exp with Wilson, baer, and rainier barrels. For the money, rainier is hard to beat.
Something like these.
https://www.rainierarms.com/ra...ly-barrel-1-7-twist/

https://www.rainierarms.com/ra...un-fluted-barrel-16/

https://www.rainierarms.com/ra...-barrel-18-polished/

Yeah, I know those will way a shit ton more than the proof Research.

As for a muzzle brake, I would consider the new shorty brake by Dead Air. Which would allow you to mount any of the Key-mo Capable cans. you can see the shorty on the right side of the muzzle devices.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8MIASNIzOD/

Other than those, I think that is a pretty solid assembly set up.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy shit, those are some expensive parts! I'd be hard-pressed to pay $42 for a dust cover assembly. $225 for a brake? Good luck with your build; post pics when done please!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
That 16" Ranier Arms fluted barrel is intriguing. It really doesn't weigh that much more, a few ounces at almost half the cost.

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Holy shit, those are some expensive parts! I'd be hard-pressed to pay $42 for a dust cover assembly. $225 for a brake? Good luck with your build; post pics when done please!

Agreed, probably some room for cost vs weight reduction adjustments to be made. I was just trying to get the weight down as much as possible and go from there.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have a DDM4V1 that has a Vortex Spitfire optic on it. I am considering using that optic on this build for now. It weighs less than the nikon not to mention the mount, and I already own it. I can put that DD back to iron sights.

posted Hide Post
This is my list from last year when I built my 300black out sbr.

The trigger Is ALG ACT, which is superb for the money.
https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Consider an Odinworks handguard. You can save a bunch of money over the magnesium V Seven for the cost of an ounce or 3.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, very nice. Cerakote?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:

Wow, very nice. Cerakote?

yes by BDL custom finish.
https://www.facebook.com/bdlCerakote/

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Any reason not to go with a 1-7 twist barrel for my build?

I likely will stick with a traditional buffer setup. I thought a 3oz T1 buffer would be adequate with an adjustable gas block. Any reasons to go with a heavier buffer?

posted Hide Post
That's a lot of money to shave a few ounces here and there. I can see it for a rifle that will be carried miles for hunting, but not for a range toy.

Especially the money for the Proof barrel. I have a Proof carbon barrel in my 223 bolt action precision trainer rifle. Nice barrel, great accuracy. I won it in a match -- I sure wouldn't pay for one, however. I consulted with my trusty gunsmith before ordering the Proof barrel. Should I go with a premium AR15 build or a 223 bolt action? My 'smith stated that all the bolt action Proofs they saw in the shop just shot lights out. However, Proof's AR barrels were inconsistent -- some shot really well, others not so much.

Slimmer profile barrels with flutes can weigh about the same as a Proof carbon barrel, and they will cost a whole lot less. For what you are likely doing, the accuracy of a quality fluted SS barrel will be equal if not better than that from a Proof. I have a number of Wilson Combat barrels and they all shoot quite accurately. If you plan to shoot enough to burn out barrels, replacing them with Proofs each time will become expensive.

By the way, I prefer 1:8 twist barrels over 1:7 twist barrels, but either one will work for most shooters.

I do find it odd that you are willing to invest so much into the rifle, yet you choose what must be described as a value-line optic. I sure wouldn't put that Nikon on a rifle that is intended to excel at steel practice/competition.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
That's a lot of money to shave a few ounces here and there. I can see it for a rifle that will be carried miles for hunting, but not for a range toy.

Especially the money for the Proof barrel. I have a Proof carbon barrel in my 223 bolt action precision trainer rifle. Nice barrel, great accuracy. I won it in a match -- I sure wouldn't pay for one, however. I consulted with my trusty gunsmith before ordering the Proof barrel. Should I go with a premium AR15 build or a 223 bolt action? My 'smith stated that all the bolt action Proofs they saw in the shop just shot lights out. However, Proof's AR barrels were inconsistent -- some shot really well, others not so much.

Slimmer profile barrels with flutes can weigh about the same as a Proof carbon barrel, and they will cost a whole lot less. For what you are likely doing, the accuracy of a quality fluted SS barrel will be equal if not better than that from a Proof. I have a number of Wilson Combat barrels and they all shoot quite accurately. If you plan to shoot enough to burn out barrels, replacing them with Proofs each time will become expensive.

By the way, I prefer 1:8 twist barrels over 1:7 twist barrels, but either one will work for most shooters.

I do find it odd that you are willing to invest so much into the rifle, yet you choose what must be described as a value-line optic. I sure wouldn't put that Nikon on a rifle that is intended to excel at steel practice/competition.

I will check out Wilson Combat barrels. What do you suggest for an optic?

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any reason not to go with a 1-7 twist barrel for my build?

I likely will stick with a traditional buffer setup. I thought a 3oz T1 buffer would be adequate with an adjustable gas block. Any reasons to go with a heavier buffer?

With an adjustable gas block, you can go with a standard carbine buffer. Just tune the block.
That will save you a few dollars. Try a reduced power buffer spring to take the most advantage of that set-up.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Faxon barrels. I have my eye on this one, to build with an older BCM magnesium rail, that I am switching out for a longer mlok on my primary rifle. https://faxonfirearms.com/14-5...6-nato-4150-nitride/

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
16"light weight barrels must be in high demand. Wilson Combat and Ranier 16" fluted barrels are sold out almost everywhere. The proof barrel is not available either unless I got one with 1/8 twist.

Any other suggestions for a fairly light weight 16" barrel?

posted Hide Post
quote:
16"light weight barrels must be in high demand. Wilson Combat and Ranier 16" fluted barrels are sold out almost everywhere. The proof barrel is not available either unless I got one with 1/8 twist.

Any other suggestions for a fairly light weight 16" barrel?

Call rainier. I had only to wait a few days for mine.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I setup alerts to be notified when it's available but I can certainly do that as well. Thank you!

posted Hide Post
quote:

Every 16" 5.56-chambered barrel that WC makes is available for sale at wilsoncombat.com.

Why do you feel you need a 1:7 twist barrel? Are you planning to shoot bullets weighing more than 77 grains?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you suggest for an optic?

I wouldn't even consider Nikon, as they are exiting the scope business.

Consider a LPV scope with 1-6x, or 1-8x, or even 1-10x magnification. Consider whether you want a first focal plane or a second focal plane reticle. Consider the reticle type -- do you want to use a hold-over reticle, which is based on average ballistics for 223 bullets? Or do you want to use a mil/MOA reticle and calculate the exact drops for your load(s)?

I like Nightforce scopes, but they are expensive.

Vortex is well known in the 3-gun circles for the LPV optics. Vortex prices & models range from value-line to premium.

They are a few other brands that work quite well, too.