SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me build an AR-15
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me build an AR-15 Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Parts are starting to trickle in. Looks like my FFL recieved the Upper and Lower yesterday Cool

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Got the lower done, waiting for Optics Planet to ship the Barrel Roll Eyes

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

Got it all together. Hoping to get it out this weekend to test fire it and get the gas block dialed in.

The rear take down pin is really hard to get in and out. Pretty much can't do it without a punch and hammer. I removed the little nut that holds the spring and detent in thinking that would loosen tension on the pin. It helped a little but not a lot. Any thoughts on that?

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If the rear take down pin is tight, it’s gonna be tight until you wear it in.....after a few times look inside the hole to see if there is any wearing of the anodizing...if there is, you could remove some more with very fine sandpaper....
But I have an AR that I have to beat apart and back together with a hammer...I think it’s due to various tolerance stacking...doesn’t affect the accuracy. So I leave it alone.

And I’d tighten back up the rear plate to keep the detent and spring from going wonky.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I figured so, I lubed it up too Big Grin

The plate is up tight, I just removed the little set screw.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
If you're using the set screw to retain the rear takedown pin you need to trim a few coils off the spring to relieve that extra tension that keeps the detent seated on the takedown pin.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post