SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations for a 22lr semi-auto rifle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a 22lr semi-auto rifle Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have a Kidd Supergrade 10/22 and a Sig 522 and Kidd is a much better rifle.
It is "boringly" accurate, but I don't mind.

5 or 6 years ago, I built a 10/22 with a TacSol receiver and a Kidd barrel and trigger.

With very good (but not the absolute best available) match ammunition it was every bit as accurate as my Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel and several Anschutz target rifles I've owned or shot. The trigger was as good as the Anschutz triggers, too. (Anschutz rifles are what a lot of Olympic small bore shooters use.)

10 rounds into 1-1.25" at 100 yards.

I gave it to a friend a couple years ago and keep meaning to buy a complete Kidd rifle but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My experience has been that for all practical purposes, outside of high-level benchrest competition, Kidd 10/22s are as good as or better than any other .22 rifle for accuracy and shootability.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The sig should be out for anybody rational. It's very nice but no support or parts.
Best answer is 10/22, but if that's out best alternative answer is CZ>

Sig has emailed me that if my 522 ever breaks, send it in and they will fix it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
If you can still find one, the Beretta ARX160 is/was probably the most overlooked, reliable, accurate, fun .22LR rifles made in recent years. Good mag availability and you can also use the Colt brand .22LR AR15 mags as they are the exact same mags just typically found in gray instead of black. They are my daughters' favorites as I got them each one a few years back and they have even impressed me with their performance using Federal Automatch.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig has emailed me that if my 522 ever breaks, send it in and they will fix it

I presume that is because it has some form of warranty? Mine broke a small part and they would not/did not offer any possibility of assisting in the needed parts.
At this point I don't think one could find a new 522 so you will be battling this issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The TCR22 is set up exactly how I wanted a 10/22 so I bought one. I wanted something I could get mags and parts for unlike my CZ 511. Never underestimate the value of being able to service your firearm.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
The TCR22 is set up exactly how I wanted a 10/22 so I bought one. I wanted something I could get mags and parts for unlike my CZ 511. Never underestimate the value of being able to service your firearm.

How do you like the T/CR22? Accurate, reliable, etc? I've read a bit and people say the factory mags are a pain.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The main thing with TCR mags is they have a bolt hold open device that keeps the action open after the last round. And you need to press down on the hold open to load the first round. You can just use Ruger OEM 10-22 mags if you want and lose the bolt hold open.
I have shot my buddies TCR and it is a solid gun, with good features for the $$$.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll be happy with any .22LR as you had 2 really good rifles and they didn't excite you. The 10/22 is the AR of the .22LR world, accurate, dependable, and you can modify it to suit just about any preference. Honestly, I'd look at something in the .17 range, able to do some accurate distance shooting with it out to 400 yards. Much flatter trajectory than .22LR, and has some zing to it...….ammo is also not anymore expensive than the quality .22LR match ammo. I had the same feeling you have with .22 LR revolvers, I had a 6" S+W model 17 and a 8 3/8" S+W 617 10 shot and neither excited me and I sold both, but love my Buckmark.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I presume that is because it has some form of warranty? Mine broke a small part and they would not/did not offer any possibility of assisting in the needed parts.
At this point I don't think one could find a new 522 so you will be battling this issue.

Your probably right. I have a few spare parts but not many.

Date: Tue, Feb 12, 2019 9:37 AM
To: Richard Quigley;
Cc:
Subject:RE: Sig 522

Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer.

Although the 522 has been discontinued, we do still service those firearms at the factory, and they are still warrantied, so no worries there. We do not stock parts to sell, so if there is an issue going forward, it would just need to come into the factory for repair.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Aaron Weeden
Customer Service
Aaron.weeden@sigsauer.com
(603) 610-3000

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
How do you like the T/CR22? Accurate, reliable, etc? I've read a bit and people say the factory mags are a pain.

I wish I could say but I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. I need to order a .22lr smorgasbord to see what it, and a CZ452, like. The factory mags can be strangely tricky to remove from the rifle at times. For the most part I have been stocking up on BX25 mags for it.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation although a bit on the pricier side...check out the VR series rifles from Tactical Solutions. Quite a variety of models and colors to choose from and I really like my gun metal gray model so far! It is definitely a tack driver and reliable. They also use 10/22 magazines.

https://www.tacticalsol.com/

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
quote:

Your probably right. I have a few spare parts but not many.

Date: Tue, Feb 12, 2019 9:37 AM
To: Richard Quigley;
Cc:
Subject:RE: Sig 522

Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer.

Although the 522 has been discontinued, we do still service those firearms at the factory, and they are still warrantied, so no worries there. We do not stock parts to sell, so if there is an issue going forward, it would just need to come into the factory for repair.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Aaron Weeden
Customer Service
Aaron.weeden@sigsauer.com
(603) 610-3000

This is GTK. I have one that I bought from Donna that came with the double barrel. It’s a little heavy but a very nice rifle.

As for the original question, I think others have given you your options. I’d still recommend you consider the S&W AR 15-22 or a Roger 10-22. It’s hard to beat either one for parts and reliability.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
Another recommendation although a bit on the pricier side...check out the VR series rifles from Tactical Solutions. Quite a variety of models and colors to choose from and I really like my gun metal gray model so far! It is definitely a tack driver and reliable. They also use 10/22 magazines.

Can these upper end 10/22 varients like the TacSol cycle with subsonic .22LR, such as the CCI Quiet 710fps? How is their accuracy with subsonic .22?

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If nothing available from Ruger interests you, you might consider making your own. There is a huge range of aftermarket parts modeled on the 10/22, and you can make anything from a crazy bench rifle, to an M1 Carbine lookalike. Selecting each part really gets you the exact rifle you want, and you can do it without buying a complete 10/22 and ending up with spare parts you'll never use.

The clones made by Volquartzen, Kidd, Tacsol and others are very nice, if you don't want anything 10/22 related at all, I would vote for the Thompson Center rifles.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

It's not that I hate 10/22s or Ruger, I just figure there's something newer/better/more features out there.
If I asked for a 9mm semi-auto for home defense and was recommended the Glock 19 over and over again, I would see the point since I'm just looking for a defensive tool and not something for fun.
My search for a .22 rifle is because I see it as a recreational gun for plinking or occasionally training new shooters.

I'm liking the Savage A22, T/CR22, Winchester Wildcat, and CZ offerings.
I like the longer sight radius, rail, mags, and threaded barrel of the T/CR22 and I like the ease of takedown and magazine compatibility of the Winchester Wildcat.
The Sig 522 and Beretta ARX-160 are on the table too, but it sounds like I'll have to look in the second hand market.

It may come down to who has the best price/rebates this holiday season. I know the T/CR22 had a $50 rebate last year but I thought it was too new/untested back then.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I've been searching and was finally able to find that the Winchester is made in Turkey so that combined with the red/black color scheme pretty much rules it out for me.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:

Can these upper end 10/22 varients like the TacSol cycle with subsonic .22LR, such as the CCI Quiet 710fps? How is their accuracy with subsonic .22?

Essentially all .22 match ammunition is subsonic, but more like 1000 fps.

I shot several thousand rounds of match ammunition through the 10/22 I built with a Kidd barrel and TacSol receiver.

It never had any reliability issues unless it was dry (unlubed) and filthy.

I don't know if it would work with super-low-velocity 700 fps ammunition or not. If that was ALL you were going to shoot, if it didn't work, I'm sure you could get it there with a weaker recoil spring or by clipping coils off the recoil spring.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
everyone should have at least one of these,

wonderful little autos,

however, the OP did not want tube fed,,,

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Browning .22 Auto, maybe?

The 2 most reliable .22 semi auto rifles, in my experience, are the 10/22 and the old Remington Nylon 66.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That Thompson Contender .22 is pretty nice.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
Volquartsen has a bolt that will cycle CCI quiets in...you guessed it...the ruger 10/22.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volqu...tridge-/272719341272

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post