SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations for a 22lr semi-auto rifle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a 22lr semi-auto rifle Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted
Recommend to me a 22lr semi-auto rifle.

The requrements are
-22 long rifle
-Detachable magazine fed
-Semi-auto
-Not Ruger or Remington
-Readily available magazines
-Prefer not to be AR style
-Reliable, accurate, etc

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Marlin 795.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Marlin is owned by Remington and I haven't heard good things about recent production. Is your 795 an older model?

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I you want to spend the coin, Volquartsen is worth a look. I don’t know if they have a model that fits all your criteria.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_lr_rifles

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Sig 522. I don't consider it to be "AR style".
Not current production, but available. Big point, it doesn't care what ammo you try to feed it, it just works, not picky like some rimfire autos.

Uses inexpensive Black Dog mags, often found for ten bucks. Mags also work in CMMG AR 22 conversion kit.

LOP adjustable for smaller shooters.

I have a can on mine now. Much fun.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I you want to spend the coin, Volquartsen is worth a look. I don’t know if they have a model that fits all your criteria.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_lr_rifles

I have to agree at least with something along these lines.

The 10/22 is really the standout for a reliable, accurate semiautomatic .22 rifle with reliable detachable magazines.

If you don't want a Ruger, there are a number of other companies that make (more expensive) 10/22s. Besides Volquartsen, Kidd makes an excellent 10/22, and TacSol has a good reputation as well.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:

The requrements are
-22 long rifle
-Detachable magazine fed
-Semi-auto
-Not Ruger or Remington
-Reliable, accurate, etc

Painted yourself into a box there.

CZ has some sort of semi-22, but I have no idea if it's good or if it'll fit your strict requirements

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Savage has a couple autos. I think stocks and mags are shared with bolt action counterparts so aftermarket is pretty decent.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I don’t own it but the CZ 512 gets rave reviews.

Both Traditional and tactical flavors.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

The requrements are
-22 long rifle
-Detachable magazine fed
-Semi-auto
-Not Ruger or Remington
-Reliable, accurate, etc

Painted yourself into a box there.

CZ has some sort of semi-22, but I have no idea if it's good or if it'll fit your strict requirements

As long as the problem is with Ruger-the-brand rather than the 10/22 platform itself, he's good to go. Plenty of 10/22s out there without a single part from Ruger except the magazines, and you can buy other brand mags if you really want to.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Browning .22 Auto, maybe?

The 2 most reliable .22 semi auto rifles, in my experience, are the 10/22 and the old Remington Nylon 66.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The Winchester Wildcat fits your requirements on paper, but I know nothing about it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

As long as the problem is with Ruger-the-brand rather than the 10/22 platform itself, he's good to go. Plenty of 10/22s out there without a single part from Ruger except the magazines, and you can buy other brand mags if you really want to.

I own/have owned 10/22s, Marlin 60, Rem 597 and a few others. Just never got real excited about any of them for one reason or another.
The Winchester Wildcat looks interesting (not too keen on the stock though) as does the T/CR22, both of which take 10/22 mags from what I read.

Thanks for the suggestions

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
CZ 512 would be my first choice followed by a Savage A22GV

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

The requrements are
-22 long rifle
-Detachable magazine fed
-Semi-auto
-Not Ruger or Remington
-Reliable, accurate, etc

Sorry to say, you're describing a 10/22.

If you're looking for something "exciting", you may be out of luck in the .22LR world.

Ruger now makes some competition models that are accurate, cheaper versions of Kidds and Volquartsens.

I have a Kidd Supergrade 10/22 and a Sig 522 and Kidd is a much better rifle.
It is "boringly" accurate, but I don't mind.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you never got excited about a Ruger 10/22, understand that the T/CR22 is essentially a 10/22.

Kidd and Volquartsen are 10/22s made to a whole new level of accuracy. Tacsol is a slight step down, but well above a Ruger. The T/CR22 is likely better than the average 10/22.

It's been awhile since I've shot a Sig 522, but I thought it was a decent 22.

If you really want a 22 semi-auto that is truly accurate, consider the AR15-style uppers from JP or Compass Lake. I have a JP upper and its pretty darn amazing.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sig should be out for anybody rational. It's very nice but no support or parts.
Best answer is 10/22, but if that's out best alternative answer is CZ>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thompson Center TCR-22.
A 10-22 that isnt.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Marlin 795.

Or the papoose.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thompson Center gets my pick. Comes with a Magpul stock, threaded barrel, fiber optic front, locks open on empty with T/C mags, etc., but it is a 10/22 at heart.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post