SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    3x magnifiers for red dots scopes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3x magnifiers for red dots scopes Login/Join 
posted
I have two Aimpoint pros and have been thinking about getting a magnifier to extend my range. Mostly will be used at the range ,but also a little for coyote hunting. I have never used one and can't find a friend or anyone at our gun clubs that has one.

What are the pros and cons? What do you use for a magnifier? Any and all opinions are needed.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pros:
-Added versatility
-Able to more easily engage targets at longer ranges

Cons:
-Extra weight
-Limited eye relief (whereas the bare red dot has unlimited eye relief)

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've been using Aimpoint 3Xs on a several of my ARs, ( issued rifles in the Army and personal ARs, ) for a good number of years.

I liked the flexibility 3Xs offer, ( especially on my issue rifles ) first off. Mine were all on LaRue pivot mounts. When I didn't need it, I folded it to the side. Even in the folded over position, I could roll the rifle slightly and look through the 3X to get a better look at a target. If I needed the 3X, I simply popped it up into postion behind whichever Aimpoint I was using. Of course, it can be removed and used as a stand alone viewing device. Removing/installing it doesn't affect zero of the red dot sight.

For my visually impaired behind, having the 3X on the weapon helped make the difference between simply getting hits on 100, 200, 300 yrd silhouette targets, to picking either head or torso hits when using the 3X.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have a primary arms on an ar pistol with an eotech xps2 and have no trouble at 100-200 with it (I only have 100-200 then 600 so I couldn't test past 200. For the price I love it. I've had it for a few years on various guns and would buy it again.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Brands to take a look at:
Burris
Vortex

Aimpoint makes one but it's quite spendy... like $700

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those wouldn't be my choices for serious use.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Those wouldn't be my choices for serious use.

What are you referring to? The specific brands mentioned above or 3× magnifiers in general?

If it’s in general, I’m really curious what you mean by “serious use.” A large number of deadly serious users employ sights like the Aimpoints or EOTechs. If they can be useful for serious purposes without any magnification at all, then why not with some extra power? Are illuminated dot reticles as good for long distance precision shooting as conventional scopesights? No, but an Aimpoint or EOTech with a magnifier is better for longer ranges and smaller targets than one without a magnifier, and that’s their attraction.

I have only very limited experience with an EOTech and magnifier and wasn’t overwhelmed with it, especially because of its bulk and the whole flop-over operation thing. But I have the option of switching to a rifle with a better sight for midrange applications. I wouldn’t, however, want the midrange gun while trying to find a bad guy in an office building. A red dot type sight with magnifier may not be ideal for any application, but it can be acceptable for a wider range of applications than a nonmagnifying sight or a standard scopesight by itself.

If you’re referring to the specific brands, which one(s) do you recommend?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was talking solely about the magnifier, the burris and the vortex. For the basic sight I now always say aimpoint. I used to love Eotech but that went down the toilet with the admission of the problems. All of mine went back and I thank them for that program.
In the end having used both extensively I really don't have any issue with either the eotech or the aimpoint magnifier but I'm still so mad at eotech so I use the aimpoint as my go to in a larue flip mount.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Once Aimpoint or the aftermarket comes out with a decent flip to the side mount for their new 3X-C magnifier, I'll be getting one of those.

But my Vortex 3x works fine - I mostly use it to refine zero with the dot, then take it off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I've used one of the Hensoldt made Larue PoBoy x2.5 magnifiers for about 8yrs. First behind an Eotech 552 and since the buy back behind an Aimpoint Pro. The eye relief is a little short but it has worked great on a LMT SBR for many years and I expect many more.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Once Aimpoint or the aftermarket comes out with a decent flip to the side mount for their new 3X-C magnifier, I'll be getting one of those.

You don’t like LaRue’s offering?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We run these at work with our Aimpoint PROs and it's like they were made to go together:

http://www.eotechinc.com/holog.../model-g33-magnifier

Pros: Quick, easy way to get a jump to 3x

Cons: Weight, bulk, clutter on top of rifle, more stuff to snag on gear and bump into things as you move (I'm a less-is-more gear guy)

Vs. a 1-4x or similar, there's a bit more weight and "clutter", but you still get the parallax free deal with your red dot. Eye relief is different as well.

Point: Viable option, just train with it a lot and you'll be fine.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I had the Vortex that flipped to the side, but it seemed better in theory than in practice. It was great in use, but I ended up never flipping it out of the way. It just ended up as extra weight over a fixed 3x optic. Something with a QD mount might be better so you can leave it off the rifle except for those times when you actually need it, rather than a flip-to-side where it's adding weight and awkwardness when not in use.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Another Vortex 3x user; the small extra amount of weight more than makes up for old(er) eyes LOL.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

You don’t like LaRue’s offering?
No, the clamping system is outdated and digs into the side of receivers. Plus you need a wrench to adjust it. BTDT with Larue. I just buy dryrub separate and cheap. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I put an Aimpoint Pro with an Eotech flip-over 3x magnifier on my tavor. I love the setup. Rarely use the magnifier but have a blast with it just out shooting in the desert - especially when others have scoped guns goin for milk jugs and whatnot.

I always figured that guns like the Tavor are so targeted for CQB that a red dot was perfect. However, woth a 16 or 18" bbl, the capabilities for longer shots was there. Ive tested that theory on steel at one range up in the mountains here and it rang true at two and three hundred yards.
Dunno how big the plates were - its obviously no bullseye gun and groups didnt matter in the least bit. but on that day, we got pretty good consistency with ringing the steel once we figured out holdover, and had a blast.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Samson 3.5x.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Aimpoint 3x magnifier behind my Aimpoints (two PROs, one CompM4s).

Bought it used on AR15.com with a LaRue mount. Very happy with the clarity, as well as using it behind my Aimpoints.

Word of advise, if you go with the magnifier, rezero the rifle with the magnifier. It isn't that your POI changed, but seeing the dot and target better can make your POA slightly different. Had to adjust my zero on two out of three of them. Now, not saying it is going to be a foot at 50 yards. But when you go further out, that little shift can be big.

Posts: 184 | Location: Maine | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post