SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rim fire accuracy: 22lr vs 17hmr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rim fire accuracy: 22lr vs 17hmr Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
My son and I spent a sunny but chilly afternoon shooting our rim fires last weekend and I was a bit taken back by the accuracy advantage the 17hmr had over the 22lr.

The Savage BVSS 17hmr was dead nuts accurate with both CCI and Hornady ammunition while I struggled a bit to find a suitable round for the Savage Mkii Fv-sr. I tried Federal Match, ELEY practice, Federal lightning,Federal Auto Match and CCI standard velocity. I eventually settled on the CCI Standard with groups around an inch and a half at 50 yards. I’ll try a few more brands and hopefully find something that shoots very well.

Both rifles are Savage's with heavy barrels and accutrigers and I really expected similar accuracy.

Does the 17hmr have a distinct advantage due to the bullet being a jacketed design vs a lead slug? It seems to me that it would but I can be incredibly dense at times.

Thoughts?

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No surprise given the ballistic advantages of 17hmr. It’s much flatter shooting given its velocity. I’ve had good luck with 40gr SK Rifle Match on my cz455 and rebuilt Marlin 60. Dime size groups at 50yds.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know enough about your Savage rifles to understand if their accuracy at 50 yards is comparable.

17 HMR will almost certainly show better accuracy if it was shooting the better ammo, like Vmax.

With the exception of the CCI Std, the 22lr ammo you used has accuracy that is best described as lackluster. It probably cost 1/3 that of the 17 HMR ammo. Therefore you're not comparing apples to apples.

CCI Std is pretty much the floor level of quality ammo. It shoots pretty well in some guns, but not so much is others. I find it pretty inconsistent.

That said, 1.5" groups with CCI Std is pretty bad. Using my Kimber sporter rifle, CCI Std has produced 50 yard 5-round groups of .3" to .7", with the majority being around .5" to .6". With my quite inaccurate and old Winchester 250 lever action, CCI Std is .75" to 1.0" ammo.

If you really want the 22lr Savage to show good accuracy, you must pay for quality 22lr ammo. Figure increasing the cost to $.15 to $.20 per round. Quality ammo manufacturers include Wolf, Eley, RWS, and Lapua, SK.
Wolf -- Match Target, Match Extra
Eley -- Match, Tenex, Club, Target
RWS -- R50, R100, Special Match, Rifle Match
Lapua -- Center X
SK --Rifle Match

Understand that 22lr ammo is finicky, from barrel to barrel. Accuracy also varies from one manufacturing lot to the next. WTF flyers are common within almost every box of ammo. When switching from one ammo type to the next, it can take 15-20 rounds of the new ammo before accuracy settles down. So...if you're trying a different 22lr ammo every 10 rounds and evaluating accuracy, you won't be obtaining realistic results.

Most importantly, did both of you shoot both rifles? If your son shot the 22lr with good accuracy and you did not, then technique likely is an issue.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
No surprise given the ballistic advantages of 17hmr. It’s much flatter shooting given its velocity. I’ve had good luck with 40gr SK Rifle Match on my cz455 and rebuilt Marlin 60. Dime size groups at 50yds.

This, the .17 is much flatter shooting AND with the increased velocity the wind doesn't have as much effect on the bullet at 50 yards as .22. Also I agree, try top quality .22 in your .22. CCI is fairly good but not top quality or top accuracy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I don't know enough about your Savage rifles to understand if their accuracy at 50 yards is comparable.

17 HMR will almost certainly show better accuracy if it was shooting the better ammo, like Vmax.

With the exception of the CCI Std, the 22lr ammo you used has accuracy that is best described as lackluster. It probably cost 1/3 that of the 17 HMR ammo. Therefore you're not comparing apples to apples.

CCI Std is pretty much the floor level of quality ammo. It shoots pretty well in some guns, but not so much is others. I find it pretty inconsistent.

That said, 1.5" groups with CCI Std is pretty bad. Using my Kimber sporter rifle, CCI Std has produced 50 yard 5-round groups of .3" to .7", with the majority being around .5" to .6". With my quite inaccurate and old Winchester 250 lever action, CCI Std is .75" to 1.0" ammo.

If you really want the 22lr Savage to show good accuracy, you must pay for quality 22lr ammo. Figure increasing the cost to $.15 to $.20 per round. Quality ammo manufacturers include Wolf, Eley, RWS, and Lapua, SK.
Wolf -- Match Target, Match Extra
Eley -- Match, Tenex, Club, Target
RWS -- R50, R100, Special Match, Rifle Match
Lapua -- Center X
SK --Rifle Match

Understand that 22lr ammo is finicky, from barrel to barrel. Accuracy also varies from one manufacturing lot to the next. WTF flyers are common within almost every box of ammo. When switching from one ammo type to the next, it can take 15-20 rounds of the new ammo before accuracy settles down. So...if you're trying a different 22lr ammo every 10 rounds and evaluating accuracy, you won't be obtaining realistic results.

Most importantly, did both of you shoot both rifles? If your son shot the 22lr with good accuracy and you did not, then technique likely is an issue.

Fritz, I did indeed fire both rifles. I’ll step up my ammo game and see how it works out. Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt characterize all .22 accuracy by that one savage. even with 2 of the same rifles, some are better than others.

22s can be very accurate. 50y with one of mine....

best 50y ever

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think to compare apples to apples you would have to shoot both 17 and 22 out of the same rifle like the CZ switch barrel rimfires . Even so, there would still be the variables of two different barrels and head spacing . This is a good question though and I’d like to hear more from the more experienced on here, as I am thinking of a new bolt rimfire. Let’s throw the 22mag in the fray as well.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
With Wolf Match Extra .22LR out of both a Kidd-barreled 10/22 I built and a Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel, I get one-ragged-hole 10-shot groups at 50 yards and ~1.25" 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
With Wolf Match Extra .22LR out of both a Kidd-barreled 10/22 I built and a Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel, I get one-ragged-hole 10-shot groups at 50 yards and ~1.25" 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

That’s good shooting. I’ve got some Wolf Match and SK Match on order from Target Sports USA.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I think to compare apples to apples you would have to shoot both 17 and 22 out of the same rifle like the CZ switch barrel rimfires . Even so, there would still be the variables of two different barrels and head spacing . This is a good question though and I’d like to hear more from the more experienced on here, as I am thinking of a new bolt rimfire. Let’s throw the 22mag in the fray as well.

I have a Sako Quad with .17 and .22 barrels. The .17 with Hornady V-max is more accurate than any .22LR I’ve tried up to and including Eley 10x

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on the distance. At 100 yards the 17HMR holds a big advantage in ballistics and does normally edge out 22LR's. I've had a couple 17M2's that shot extremely small groups at 100 yards provided the wind cooperated.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a .17hmr user so let's get that out of the way. But I have learned a lot about accuracy in rimfires. The fact is we are talking "price point" rifles (that is not meant as a negative) means that the results aren't absolute in any sense. These are guns with great price/performance and in the end maybe you can find ammo that each likes and get results you like. But they really don't represent the absolutes of the cartridges themselves.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm not a .17hmr user so let's get that out of the way. But I have learned a lot about accuracy in rimfires. The fact is we are talking "price point" rifles (that is not meant as a negative) means that the results aren't absolute in any sense. These are guns with great price/performance and in the end maybe you can find ammo that each likes and get results you like. But they really don't represent the absolutes of the cartridges themselves.

This really is an excellent point. Thank you hrcjon.

After I started this thread I began poking around the web and it appears that long range rimfire competition is a thing and the amount of money spent on rifles, ammunition and gear to participate is significant. The rifles I'm using are "price point" guns to be sure (no offense taken) but will probably work well enough for the task at hand. If not, Tikka and Cz might get a serious looking into. Wink