SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help The Confuuuused - Thread Depth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help The Confuuuused - Thread Depth Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I've tried contacting Armalite, DD and Smith Enterprises with not quite enough luck. If given the choice between two otherwise identical muzzle devices, one with a listed thread depth of +/- .735" and another with a listed thread depth of +/- .635", which muzzle device would require the removal of more material in the course of threading the muzzle?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
The .735” threading depth is going to require more material removed from the barrel.

What’s the gun/muzzle device/application here? Mentioning those manufacturers it sounds like an AR. Most 5.56 AR barrels are threaded to .625”, unless it’s chambered in .22lr (and maybe others) where standard threading is .400” or is a custom thread job.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm looking at two applications. I want to put a Vortex on a Daniel Defense barrel in 6.8 and don't know if I need the deeper or shallower threads for a correct fit. I also want to put a Vortex on an unturned and unthreaded 7.62x39 blank from Green Mountain, and my theory is that I'm better off to the extent that less material is removed from the barrel.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, my apologies, gents, I got mixed up. Dan's got me on the right track here.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Ah, diameter, that makes more sense.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is bullshit.

quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
Op,
Measure the thread length of your barrel,shim & time as required.

Muzzle thread diameters & pitch are standardized in the industry.
1/2"= .224's
9/16"=6.5's
5/8"= 6.8.30 cal
3/4"= 45cal

Thread pitch should be Class 3 for a tight fit for alignment purposes of said device.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Ah, diameter, that makes more sense.

Red Face Yep.