SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Lower / Roll mark Variety Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Lower / Roll mark Variety Poll Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I got to chatting with an officer I was training last week that was beginning his trip down the AR rabbit hole.
He asked the usual "how many do you have " question but then he asked why are they all from different manufacturers?
I know there are folks who like only top tier marks and those like a wide variety of manufacturers.
Given all the cool offerings available there are those who simply collect roll marks.
I wondered how many different roll marks / manufacturers do you have and do you prefer to build /assemble your own or do you prefer to buy complete ARS?

Question:
How many different AR manufacturers/ lower roll marks do you have ?

Choices:
1-3
4-6
7-9
10 or more

Question:
Do you buy complete ARs or build your own?

Choices:
Buy complete ARs - mostly
Build / Assemble ARs - Mostly
Half & Half

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All of my lowers are from the same 2 companies: Palmetto and Anderson. I bought a bunch of them cheap.

I assemble my own lowers, but buy complete uppers.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Off hand I can think of 9 different brand lowers I've owned, now only 2. Opting for several uppers and a couple lowers.

I've never owned a complete one brand rifle.

(I have bought two and cannibalized the pre-ban lowers, parted the rest out.)

ETA: with some thinking, I'm at 15?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are all piece builds on Anderson lowers. My PCCs are on PSA dedicated Colt mag lowers.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have two Colts, one an SBR, a Daniel Defense, an Armalite, two Rock Rivers, and a Bushmaster, which was my first a long time ago.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have two Anchor Harvey (split A...AERO and Ballistic Advantage)...two Cerro Forge (key hole...Ruger and PSA)...one Brass and Aluminum Forge (square...PSA) and one that has no mark at all (Anderson)...

I have only one factory rifle (Ruger)...two assembled uppers (both PSA)...

Everything else is built from stripped lowers and uppers.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mega Machine is (was) my primary lower, just lucked into buying one years ago when a member was doing a run for the forum and never felt the need to go somewhere else. Fit and finish is superb and they aren't that much more money.

But then again I prefer to have 3-4 rifles decked out rather than 15 mishmash builds with random stuff found on sale.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy what is cheap and available, have 5 different roll marks. Only roll mark I ever chased was a 90's Colt lower to semi-clone the "CAR-15" I was issued in the RGR REGT early 90's. That beat up LE trade in Colt lower has the best GI trigger I've ever felt. Ironic 'cause all my real issue M16 and M4 triggers have always sucked!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I have one Anderson, one Aero, one Daniel Defense, and one now-defunct Shadow Ops. I built three of the lowers and bought complete uppers for them.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
S&W, BCM, UCWRG, KAC, PSA, Aero Precision, Noveske, Colt 6920, Spikes, maybe one or 2 others as well, but they elude me atm.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I have mostly Bushmasters lowers as I've never had a bad one, even the new ones. My favorite lower is my Mega billet though. And you can hardly build an upper cheaper than PSA can send you one.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets see, this thread made me think a little bit. I've only ever purchased 3 complete rifles, the rest are built. I've only built on Spikes, Aero, and Palmetto lowers.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either complete AR or complete upper assembly and complete lower purchased separately.

Colt 6920, 6921 (pinned)
Noveske
BCM
Aero Precision
PSA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This thread and my post really got me thinking and laughing. Laughing about my lack of memory.

Sun Devil (2, still have)
PWA (1, Still have)
Rock River Arms (1)
Double Star (1, I have no idea where it went or what I did with it.
Eagle Arms (1)
LRB (3, I know where two of them went)
Cav-Arms (1, no idea where it went)
Thompson machine (1)
Khalan Weaponry (1)
Colt (2)
Bushmaster? (I'm pretty sure I owned one once? lmao)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post