SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Beretta ARX ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta ARX ??? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
So I think I am in need of another AR, and the Beretta ARX's are back in stock, so who has one and can tell me if there are any tales of whoa.

Or should I just get a regular AR?

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have one. Just got my QD silencer attachment on it. Lightweight, not apt to burn your skin when out in hot summer sunlight. Trigger isn’t my favorite, it’s a bit mushy, but there is a trigger improvement on the market. Can’t say I’m fond of the backup sights but they’re back up sights. Have mine set up with a Meprolight RDS, PVS14 NV, and SurefireX400 with IR light/ Ir Laser, and white led, AAC M4-2000. Just bought it recently so still getting to know it. I got mine for a STEAL at $800 for the rifle AND Meprolight RDS, I fired at that. With these rifles in the $800 range seems like a no brainer.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO AR's are a superior weapon but the ARX's do have a couple excellent features. The best thing about the ARX is the take down feature. You can pop the barrel out in a couple seconds. Pop the barrel out, fold the stock and the whole rifle will fit into a backpack or other small footprint.

I have 2 ARX's.

Disadvantages: The flip-up sites SUCK-easily replaced. The trigger sucks - Not cheaply but replaceable.

Advantages: The above mentioned takedown. Completely ambidextrous. You can change the charging AND ejection pattern in about 2 seconds. It's very light. Folding Stock. Front under rail. Super easy takedown (again). For $800 they are definitely worth considering. Interesting rifle for collecting if you can afford one........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Have a pair also. One is stamped. They are great. Like a Glock, need very little lubrication. They run clean as well. You can go thousands of rounds between cleaning. Some people not cleaning until 5k rounds. Does need the Shooting Sight LLC trigger upgrade. And yes the stock sights suck, but easily replaceable.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post

Beretta ARX, AAC M4-2000, Meprolight RDS, Nightvision monocular Gen 2+, Surefire X400 IR Laser/light.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Beretta BRX is around the corner.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Magazines on sale now at Beretta website.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Cannot get over the fact that it looks like a pregnant fish. Eek

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Some people buy for looks, others for function. It’s light weight and recoil is extremely soft. Add in ambi charging, ejection, simple take down no tools...makes a solid package for a patrol or HD rifle.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Some people buy for looks, others for function. It’s light weight and recoil is extremely soft. Add in ambi charging, ejection, simple take down no tools...makes a solid package for a patrol or HD rifle.

No need to tell me all that I already know about. Still an ugly fish. I thought the SCAR was an ugly fish. Then, this Beretta came along. Big Grin

Plain AR-15 is just fine with me.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Magazines on sale now at Beretta website.

If you like their heavy steel mags. They weigh at least as much as the HK metal mags.

A couple of more notes for the con column:

Mag compatibility- can’t use Gen 3 pmags. The ARX has a deep magwell and the overtravel stop that Magpul added prevents full insertion. I use Lancers and USGI metal mags in mine.

Controls are stiff.

No cheekrest on the stock. That, combined with the high top rail makes some optics difficult.

No QD sling locations. You’ll need rail mounted QD points, and other than the top rail, there is no real good place to mount the rear one.

Very limited aftermarket.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a less expensive foreign pistol 556 rifle, I’d buy one.

But I have a couple of SCARs, so I’m good in that department. And when it comes to 556 shooters, ARs are my preference these days.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No need to tell me all that I already know about. Still an ugly fish. I thought the SCAR was an ugly fish. Then, this Beretta came along. Big Grin

Plain AR-15 is just fine with me.

Exactly. AR-15 for me, too.

The ARX isn't any more soft-shooting than any AR-15. Or any type of rifle that shoots .223 cartridges. AR-15s can be configured to be light, heavy, or in between.

The ARX trigger sucks.

Ambi controls are nice for rifles swapped between shooters. I'm right handed -- nobody shoots my rifles but me.

The barrel takedown feature is interesting, but how many people really DO use it. After owning an AR-15 for many years, I just had the barrel removed -- because the barrel was shot out, and my 'smith put a new one in.

And how about the ARX's accuracy?
<< crickets >>
<< more crickets >>

Well, it shoots soft and it's light weight.....

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ll try to take some grouping shots for anyone interested in one of these next time I hit the range. It reminds me of first time shooting a GLOCK. I have ARs showing up like weeds in the yard and I’ve been shooting/carrying them since 1984 so the ARX was something a little different. Bought it brand new from a friend who wanted to do something else. It came with the new Meprolight and a Spectre sling for $800 so that made the rifle cost me about $450. I thought the FNS 2000 was even more cumbersome and the FN PS90 looks like a child's macaroni art project but hey, most of these are for fun.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Good to know that they don’t take Pmags, I have plenty of steel mags, but that’s something to think about.

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Beretta BRX is around the corner.

Can't find any info on what the BRX is. Is it a replacement for the ARX?

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Good to know that they don’t take Pmags, I have plenty of steel mags, but that’s something to think about.

Thanks,

Does take Pmags, Gen 2 Pmags. Just doesn’t take Gen 3’s.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

The ARX isn't any more soft-shooting than any AR-15. Or any type of rifle that shoots .223 cartridges. AR-15s can be configured to be light, heavy, or in between.

Softer shooting than any AR15 I’ve shot.

quote:
The ARX trigger sucks.

Wow, hey the world needs haters. Big Grin
Stock it doesn’t suck, it is heavy though. Fixed by shooting sight LLC trigger.
Nobody puts aftermarket triggers in the mighty AR15 do they? Wink

quote:
Ambi controls are nice for rifles swapped between shooters. I'm right handed -- nobody shoots my rifles but me.

The barrel takedown feature is interesting, but how many people really DO use it. After owning an AR-15 for many years, I just had the barrel removed -- because the barrel was shot out, and my 'smith put a new one in.

It has dual extractors so if one were to break, a bullet tip on a button and you go right back to firing. I use the barrel takedown every time I shoot it as I swap from 10.25” to 16” barrels. Also makes it a breeze to clean.

quote:
And how about the ARX's accuracy?
<< crickets >>
<< more crickets >>

Great with a heavier bullet. Is it supposed to be a sniper’s rifle or combat accuracy, say like a Colt? That’s rhetorical.

quote:
Well, it shoots soft and it's light weight.....

And you should hate some more. Hate that it exists. Hate that other people like it. Hate that it’s not an AR15 Big Grin
It’s funny to read this shit. For me it’s a piston and that’s my preference. I’ve read and heard all that whining before, and then I bought a second one.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've looked at it many times and I just can't find a reason to buy one, I'd kinda like to have one "just because" but I've already got

1. AR's
2. AK's
3. HK's
4. SiG's
5. Styer AUG
6. Bushmaster ACR
7. CZ Bren 805

Seven platforms in 223/5.56, I just can't find a reason ...

... if shit goes south, and a second civil war breaks out and when all my arms are empty or broken ... if I come across a Beretta Guppy ARX on the battle field ... I'm sure I can figure it out.

(this is all just for fun and the gun companies love us for it)

And who knows, the next gun show, I may be walking down the isle, pick one up again, and fall in love this time ... I'll probably buy it ... because that's just how I am Smile

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The recoil of a .223 round is a maximum of 3-4 foot pounds. Recoil from a .308 is in the 16-18 foot pounds range. Many shooters say .308 recoil is mild – so what would .223 recoil be considered by comparison? Uber mild? Virtually non-existent?

I’ve shot an ARX briefly. Quite a few other 223 semi autos, too. I own both piston and DI uppers. Yeah, I feel a slight difference in perceived recoil across platforms and individual rifles, and for me DI uppers shoot with slightly smoother recoil. But unless we shooters are snowflake princesses bothered by peas under our mattresses, 223 recoil shouldn’t be an issue, regardless of platform. Shoot a .308 from an improvised position off a barrier, having to watch your own impacts? Sure, recoil’s an issue. Even shooting off hand for accuracy at distance, .223 shouldn’t be an issue, regardless of platform.

AR-15 triggers range from nasty to really quite good. Fortunately the two factory ARs I own came with great triggers. I chose great triggers for the three lowers I assembled. Lots of AR triggers out there for not much money, and threads discussing this subject show up every few weeks on this site. For the ARX it appears the Shooting Sight trigger is the option, at $215. The website states “gunsmith installation recommended”. Sure, the ARX trigger replacement can be done by the gun owner, but when’s the last time an AR-15 aftermarket trigger manufacturer recommended taking their trigger to a ‘smith to install it?

I’ve never had an extraction issue with any of my ARs – they don’t need multiple extractors. Even with a bolt that has enough rounds that the lugs are showing wear. Even when my ‘smith said the extractor and ejector springs on said bolt are getting a little weak, and thus the springs probably should be replaced. This bolt has been clockwork with Wolf crap, Lapua match, and everything in between. That upper’s barrel is now a tomato stake due to throat erosion, but the bolt still carries on.

Shooter’s talk about ARX accuracy in hushed tones. Occasionally sites will state the shooter gets 3-4 MOA accuracy, but it improves to 2 MOA-ish with match bullets. Woohoo, that’s AK-47 territory.

I just retired an AR-15 barrel when quality ammo started producing 2-3 MOA vertical stringing at 440 yards. Every AR-15 barrel I own – from 11.3” to 24” – produces sub-MOA accuracy with multiple brands of factory match and varmint ammo. And I don’t just mean at 100 yards, either. As in sub-MOA at 200, 400, even 600 yards. When the barrels are hot, cold, or in between. Whether the muzzles are bare, or have a brake or can. This isn’t “sniper” accuracy, it’s just what I demand of competition rifles and carbines. It doesn’t matter if it’s a run-and-gun carbine or a precision steel match rifle. This isn’t rhetoric, this is reality. An ARX can’t consistently come close to that, regardless of ammo, trigger, optics, and whatever doodads are used. Not even all day long, if I do my part.

Haters gonna hate. Ah yes, immortalized by Tailor Swift at her finest. A website fave response for when a pet thing is given unfavorable comments. Water rolls off a duck’s back, but humans apparently haven’t evolved to such a level. I don’t hate rifles, tools, toys, cars, electronic devises, clothes, or other inanimate objects. I don’t love them, either. I don’t give inanimate objects anthropomorphic properties. Hate all you want, love all you want – rifles are just tools for me.

IMO the AR is a superior tool to the ARX. I demand superior tools.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This conversation takes me all the way back to 1986, it sounds just like when the 1911 owners felt threatened by that newfangled plastic Glock. With exactly the same arguments - 1911's have a better trigger pull, they're more accurate, They're all steel, they're more traditional, there's more aftermarket for them...

We all know how that all worked out. Lol.

Posts: 32 | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post