SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle Dynamics - who has one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Dynamics - who has one? Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I confess I have lust in my heart.

I am a fan of the Kalashnikov, and I have often wondered how it would turn out if somebody just pulled all the stops and built one to be the best. In researching that a bit, I stumbled across Rifle Dynamics.

Wow. Drop dead sexy and just superb all around. Rifles built for guys who use rifles. But way far out of my price range. Big Grin

But my oh my, what a beautiful piece.

Does anybody here actually have one or have experience with them? Are they all they're cracked up to be in the literature? Tell me all about it.

And by all means, post pics if you've got 'em!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bionic218,

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim Fuller is pretty full of himself.

If I was going to get a fancy AK I’d get one of these.
https://iwi.us/product/gar1639/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if I needed an AK, I'd go Valmet,

the gas block on the Rifle Dynamics looks like it was taken of a M62

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
My buddy has one. I've shot it a few times. Cycling the charging handle you can definitely tell it's had some work done to it. It's very smooth. All the edges of the action internally including the bolt have been smoothed and polished. He went with a sniper gray finish and it's flawless and has held up very well. If I were an AK enthusiast I would pick one up if given the chance. The gas system has been tuned and when shooting it suppressed it doesn't seem to be over gassed like the other AK's he owns. He purchased his five or six years ago and paid just north of 2K for it. I think the price is in line for what it is.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Jim Fuller is pretty full of himself.

If I was going to get a fancy AK I’d get one of these.
https://iwi.us/product/gar1639/

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. That's the truth right there. I own a slightly pimped out AMD 65 and my new Galil makes it look like total garbage. Those Israelis don't mess around.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Didn't Jim Fuller sell the company, and merely consults/keeps his face around because he personally marketed the company so hard?

Posts: 2009 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Krebs is supposed to make a nice AK but I can't see paying close to or over 2 grand for any AK47 but that's just me.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Love RDs accessories.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Good solid AK, you can't go wrong with a Yugo ... 7.62x39 or 223, SBR'd mine before the really nice braces started coming to market

But for 16" the Valmet tube folder was one of my Grail guns for a long time

But there are Pre-Ban Hungarian and Bulgarian AK's that are very reasonable for the quality.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
kimberkid I sent you an email, hope you don't mind.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Did you get my reply?

posted Hide Post
Sig 556 R5 in 7.62x39 is another option

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Did you get my reply?

Yep, thank you.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RivahRat:

There were a lot of issues with the 556R ... I've been out of the loop a bit, not familiar with an R5

I had an early 556R and didn't have any huge issues with it but a lot of rifles suffered light primer strikes on hard primers, ejection problems from the port being too narrow and would cause a jamb. Some people claimed the could only shoot brass cased ammo. I didn't shoot mine a whole lot ... I won't say I never experienced any of those problems but nothing sticks out in my mind as big deal ... and I shot a variety of ammo, all steel cased and surplus so it all had hard primers ... I guess mine was a "good one" which speaks to the quality control of the time.

I eventually bought a P556Xi 762 and SBR'd it ... I've got a few thousand rounds through it and haven't had a single problem.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RivahRat:

There were a lot of issues with the 556R ... I've been out of the loop a bit, not familiar with an R5

I had an early 556R and didn't have any huge issues with it but a lot of rifles suffered light primer strikes on hard primers, ejection problems from the port being too narrow and would cause a jamb. Some people claimed the could only shoot brass cased ammo. I didn't shoot mine a whole lot ... I won't say I never experienced any of those problems but nothing sticks out in my mind as big deal ... and I shot a variety of ammo, all steel cased and surplus so it all had hard primers ... I guess mine was a "good one" which speaks to the quality control of the time.

I eventually bought a P556Xi 762 and SBR'd it ... I've got a few thousand rounds through it and haven't had a single problem.

I have a 556R, I have shot Tula, Wolf, brown bear, american eagle, winchester white box. Not one failure among them. That being said,it is not a supremely accurate gun. 50 cent piece sized groups at 50yds off hand. so if one is looking for 1 hole groups at 100yds, this probably is not the rifle.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Is it a Gen1 or 2?

I've always felt that where you "hang your hat" so to speak determines a lot of what you hear. I've also wondered how many people actually had problems with the gen1 ... Most people here weren't happy with the introduction of the 556 ... then when the early ones had canted top covers people started really scrutinizing them and picking them apart ... myself included.

By the way, how has your SiG red-dot held up? Have you ever used any other optic on your 556R?
This is mine, targets were shot at 100 but off the bench

I used a regular 556 lower with C-Products 7.62x39 mags ... It has a better trigger

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a Gen1 or 2?

I've always felt that where you "hang your hat" so to speak determines a lot of what you hear. I've also wondered how many people actually had problems with the gen1 ... Most people here weren't happy with the introduction of the 556 ... then when the early ones had canted top covers people started really scrutinizing them and picking them apart ... myself included.

By the way, how has your SiG red-dot held up? Have you ever used any other optic on your 556R?
This is mine, targets were shot at 100 but off the bench

I used a regular 556 lower with C-Products 7.62x39 mags ... It has a better trigger

You know I have no clue if it is a gen 1 or 2.. From what i see on line it is gen 2, that being said, i don't believe much i read online.

I bought a new sig reddot, one of the new sig romeo's to replace that old piece of crap that came with the rifle. However the old sig reddot still keeps zero and working. so, the new romeo just sits in the safe.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. An excellent rifle in some respects, but overall, over priced for what you get.

I question the Ultimak rail. It's quite a stupid device. Not the concept, that's pretty decent, rather the execution of it. The entire thing, naturally, gets quite hot after just a few (10rd) magazines - including the sides of the mount (which are flush with the sides of many handguards). This really limits finger placement if you use the front handguard. I know people advocate for the magazine grip, but I'd rather not have to limit myself to that.

Furthermore... while I've long accepted that buying an AK made by someone else = canted sights, I did not expect to see one on a near $2000 rifle made in 2018 (January). But mine has canted sights, due to a canted barrel (trunion appears to be installed straight, so that leaves a botched barrel install or a trunion that is inherently deformed). Still shoots fine, but after five 762x39 rifles, I've only had one with sights on straight (and it was a Vz.58 derivative from Czechpoint - which has its own issues with limited magazine availability in California, in addition to relying on magazines that are even more massive than AK magazines).

At this point, I've already decided to never buy another AK ever again. Build your own. Again, a lot of the concepts on the RD rifle are great (it really is quite well balanced and feels quite light), but execution matters more than the concept, IMO.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A AK style rifle has been designed to be dead nuts reliable under most circumstances but it also will shoot "minute of man" versus a target rifle. As long as it goes bang and holds to a 11" paper plate in various distances, IMHO you are good to go.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but why pay $2,000 for that? You could buy an unconverted Saiga, swap out or add any parts you like, come out dollars ahead and still get all the performance that a Rifle Dynamics AK would deliver.

Not that it's my thread, but I'm really disappointed with the idea that an expensive rifle would have canted sights. Then again, I've gotten to the point where that bothers me so much that I've sworn to never buy an AK again unless I can pick it up and look at the sights before paying for the rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post