SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    School me about sig sauer scopes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me about sig sauer scopes Login/Join 
posted
I've just ordered a ruger precision rifle in 556/223. I went with that partically because of my range and I already have a die set to reload. My range is only 100yrds. I've been looking at the sig line of scopes. I would like to keep it $300 or less. I have never purchased a scope before. I'm open to other suggestions also. I think the SBT from sig is a rather neat freebee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the Sig scopes but have the Leupold Mark AR on a DDM4 and it is both a great option for your caliber and range but in your price range too.

ETA : https://www.opticsplanet.com/l...ope-matte-black.html

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've only looked through a few quickly. Glass didnt look bad. They're gaudy IMO and heavy.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Tango 4 I used was very clear with turrets and mag rings thay where quite say to manipulate.
Btw, if / when you evaluate one, don’t do it in the store under their lighting. Do it outdoors.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the "Riflescope overview" thread in this part of the forum. There's a lot of good information there, even if some is well beyond what you're ready for now.

Go to you local gun stores and fondle as many scopes at you can. See if they will let you go outside to look through the scopes. Ask a bazillion questions about the scopes -- features vs. benefits of the various brands.

If you have friends with scopes on their rifles, ask if you can shoot them. Get an idea what works for you.

Don't rush the process. If you can make your decision over the next few weeks, hold out and look for the traditional Black Friday sales.

I've fondled Sig scopes, but not shot guns with them. Sig's glass generally looks clear and bright to me, but I don't really like their reticles.

Don't go with a "custom" or factory drop feature on the elevation turret. Learn to make your drop charts -- based on actual data from your shooting, or starting from a ballistics program. Lots of ballistics programs these days, either free or with minimal cost. JBM Ballistics is free on the webz, and is what I use for base data.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For the coin I’ll go with a dedicated optics company everydamn time.

And with a $300 limit, I dont think id have bought a Ruger Precison Rifle. An uncle has one in 6.5CM and it benefits from the solid $2K Nightforce on it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get something with an adjustable objective. The Weaver V16 is a decent scope that can be picked up for around $325 or less some places.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
SWFA fixed 10x from sample list would be best value

https://samplelist.com/swfa-ss...escope-demo-b-7.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 300 dollars was my budget and I wanted a scope for a “precision” rifle, I’d personally get an SWFA fixed 6 or 10 power scope. 10% off with free shipping now too.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
$300 will get you a Nikon that will suit your needs and then some.
I have a number of Nikons and am very happy.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davea:
I've just ordered a ruger precision rifle in 556/223.
My range is only 100yrds.
I think the SBT from sig is a rather neat freebee.

The RPR is supposed to be a pretty accurate rifle. I haven't shot one. If it lives up to its accuracy and functional expectations, it will be a good rifle for the money. A quality 223 bolt action will be good to distances of at least 500-600 yards, maybe even 700-800 yards. I know, because I shoot my best AR-15s to 600-700 yards in competition on a regular basis.

If you will never, ever shoot beyond 100 yards, you have no use for Sig's SBT. Other any other custom ballistics turret, either. But since you brought it up, you may have desires to shoot beyond 100 yards down the road. If so, you should consider a scope that will allow this to occur without drama.

For 100 yards only, you can get by with clear glass, a simple cross-hair reticle, and scope adjustments (turrets) that are capped and not easily adjusted. Essentially this would be an old-school hunting scope.

If you want to shoot accurately at various distances, then a different type of scope is much better. Forget any scope with a holdover-style reticle built in. Such scopes are generally in the ballpark for point of impact, but they may not work well for your particular ammo or atmospheric conditions. A better solution is to invest in a scope that has easily-adjustable turrets, and a reticle with windage & elevation hash marks that are matched to the click values in your turrets. No getting around it -- these features increase the scope's cost.

Understand that a scope is the steering mechanism for your rifle. Take a car analogy -- the scope is at least the steering system, and maybe the tires, too. You can have a great engine and suspension, but if you can't point the car in the right direction it all goes to waste.

So....consider you true wants and needs before diving into your first scope. You can go with a value-line scope up front in order to see if you really want to play the rifle game. If you do get into precision rifles, understand that the value-line scope will soon be replaced with something that performs better and costs more. I started this way, and ended up giving away my first scopes, as they had no market value when I upgraded.

IMO, it would be better if you increase your scope budget.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for you input. I think I may save up a little more before investing in a scope maybe black Friday sales? All of your input is greatly appreciated!!

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago I went for the SWFA 'special offer' on a x10 scope they said had been intended for the USMC at silly money. It's on a 'casual' .308Win plinker I use just for falling plate shooting.

I wish I'd bought a dozen to sell to my pals here in yUK - what a gem.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update. We were in Maine last weekend. I bought a sig sauer scope that was on sale. It's not going to be the permanent scope. It's OK for now it will be placed on my .22 upper for plinking. I couldn't wait. I've got to shoot this thing. Thanks again for all the input.
Dave

posted Hide Post
I picked up a Vortex Diamond back 3-9 for $199.99 at Midway USA. Very nice scope for the money.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post