SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So, I put a $500 air rifle and a $1500 air rifle scope in my shopping cart, just to see how it felt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, I put a $500 air rifle and a $1500 air rifle scope in my shopping cart, just to see how it felt Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle, .25 caliber.

Element Optics Nexus 5-20x 50 FFP, EHR-1D MOA Reticle, 30mm Tube

It felt .... strange. So did the sight of my cursor wandering toward the rapid checkout link.

Slowly, I stood up and backed away from the desktop. Regaining my situational awareness, I unplugged computer's power cord from the wall.

Cold showered.

With my luck, when I restart the computer later, it will probably open the browser with the message, " Brave did not shut down properly. Do you want to re open the tabs?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
But you need that. NEED.

I shoot my air rifles quite a bit on my property. Virginia has a law that allows the discharge of air rifles on private property, even in neighborhoods, if you make sure the projectile doesn't leave the property. But I've avoided the PCP rifles in favor of break barrel and hand pump. I really need a PCP gun but I'd have to buy a compressor, too. So buy it, and report back.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Why were you thinking of that scope?
The 10 yard close focus; something else?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47367 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, 10 Meter focus is important to me. Optical quality of lenses are too.
First focal plain, usual advantages.
Illuminated reticle for hunting.
Resettable turrets, zero stop.
"Springer rated", so I can later use it on spring or gas piston airguns or even an FN SCAR some day. Smile

Edited to add: Plus, it was the most expensive non-digital scope on their inventory list, which was part of the experiment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If Trump gets his way you'll have $2,000 in your account soon. Based on that, go for it. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"Springer rated", so I can later use it on spring or gas piston airguns or even an FN SCAR some day. Smile

I did not see that, but it was the first thing I wondered about after seeing the 10y focus.

Dam’! I can hear my Feinwerkbau whimpering now: “You haven’t shot me for years!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47367 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’ve been there a few times, always came down that they don’t do more than one of my many .22lr rifles. However pellets would be safer for suburban squirrel wrangling. I’m thinking of getting an under or side lever.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Just do it. Smile In the last month or so I’ve bought 3 new springers and scopes. I already owned a Diana 34 in .177 but wanted a .22 so I bought a Hatsan 95 Vortex QE with a UTG 3-12x44, nice enough gun and scope but I made the mistake of checking out some air gun forums and kept seeing how amazing Weihrauch/Beeman riffle are.

So a couple weeks ago I see Airguns of Arizona has the Weihrauch HW95 Field Pro .22 in stock - it will be delivered today. I bought a Hawke Airmax 4-12 for this. Then I’m on another forum and see a private owner selling a NIB Beeman R7 .177, money sent and it’s being shipped today. Another Airmax 3-9 bought for this the other day.

I justified it because I can shoot in the basement or maybe take out the pesky skunk that sprayed my German Shorthair earlier this year. Plus my wife can use the R7.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first serious airgun earlier this year and love it (Air Arms 510). I have a 20yd range set up in my basement. Shooting those tiny little targets is dang near as challenging as a gunpowder rifle. Obviously, no wind or recoil, but you definitely need to pay attention to how you are holding the rifle and trigger control. Those slow pellets (relative to a firearm) are in the barrel a long time and really show your mistakes on the target.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I acquired an FX Crown Continuum in .25 Cal.

Now temporarily using some older 'scopes while I learn to shoot the thing; taking time to settle on a new 'scope that provides minimum 10 yard parallax, up to 20-24X magnification, and an illuminated reticle suitable for close range pest control in poor light, and then benched target shooting at up to 100 yards.

posted Hide Post
What you really NEED is the .50 caliber air rifle!!!!!! I think settling for only .25 caliber gave you that strange feeling! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Its a solid gun if you buy a regulator for it as well as some other mods which are all well documented.

If I knew how powerful and accurate, not to mention fun, i would have gone for the fx impact first. Atleast when friends come over i dont have to share it, they just use the benjamin.

Get yourself a decent size scba with good gauges to make refilling easy and safe.

Also hawke scopes are really good quality. I have two 30mm 6x24x50 with parallax wheels that can take an eye out of a squirrel or groundhog beyond 70 yards.

The hawke scopes are what I run on my pcps.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given how hard centerfire and rimfire ammunition is to acquire these days and the cost. It might be money well spend to spend the money on a nice air rifle that you can have fun with and get ammunition for!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nickelsig, this is the Mark II improved version of the Crown.

I've used a scuba tank for many years to fill my Walther PCP pistol and rifle but its steel and only fillable to 200 BAR. And, our local scuba shop is 30 miles away.

After cogitating on compressor vs. high capacity carbon fiber tanks, I chose the compressor route.

jimmy, the airguns, ammo, scopes and accessories have been selling out and restocked over the last few months. I think a lot of folks are taking this path.

Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
The PCP airguns are a whole new level. Now that the price is coming down on the guns and the small compressors it is easier to justify. I am happy with my Marauder and recently picked up a Diana Bandit .22 cal pistol ($180). These are both great for inexpensive trigger time or pest control.

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
-Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 908 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Benjamin Marauders have very high customer ratings and lots of owners on every airgun dealer website.

And Made in USA!

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I get close to 25 fills out of scba i dont use scuba and with the regulated marauder i get aroun 35 shots before the dropoff in fps. Its a solid gun propbably the best sub 500 dollars.

But the fx are in a different class.

When I bought my scba from the tank guy, I believe thats what he is known as, it was more cost effective then a high pressure compressor. I dont know what they go for now but it was over 2k a couple years ago and i get free refills at mt firehouse.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been looking at the Weihrauch HW97 - it's as much as a cheap ar and I've been having trouble justifying pulling the trigger. Part of it is that there are so many choices, that and my general ignorance of all of the many variations.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Been looking at the Weihrauch HW97 - it's as much as a cheap ar and I've been having trouble justifying pulling the trigger. Part of it is that there are so many choices, that and my general ignorance of all of the many variations.

The HW97 is a helluva good spring gun. They are heavy, but that aids in their shooting. I haven't ever taken the time to do a full write up /review of mine but suffice to say they are WONDERFUL rifles, with fantastic triggers.

Here are some shooting results of my blue "lammy" and thumbhole variants, both in .177.

I did take the time to do a write up of my HW77k which is a very similar rifle with the main difference being the stock setup for iron sights more so then scoped use, and the fact that it comes with iron sights.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...250099274#9250099274

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the 97, Diana 48 and 460, and the Air Arms under lever. I would say 50/50 hunting and target shooting. I liked that the Diana has iron sights, though I would want to mount a rear peep sight.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post