SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Whats a good bang for buck ak47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats a good bang for buck ak47 Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
AndWhat do I lookout for in a used one if I find one?

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
AndWhat do I lookout for in a used one if I find one?

WASR-10.

PSA has some various models out that seem to hold up quite well, going from AKOU review videos.

Used.. ? Look for:

Badly canted sights
Play in the magazine, ( front to back ) when locked into the rifle
Poorly formed/loose rivets, ( on stamped receiver guns )
Canted stock
FCG pivot pins walking out the side of the receiver
Egged out holes in the gas block, front and rear sight blocks where the solid pins are pressed into.

Kinda the quick basics I'll initially look for.

The rest is: corrosion, trigger group not functioning as intended and other traits common to a poorly made/cared for weapon.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
ARMT nailed it. only thing I'd add is deformation on the trigger or the tail of the bolt carrier.

WASR is one of my absolute favorites (I think I have 9 Romanian AK's in all counting RPK's and PSL's, great guns). The American made Century stuff is absolute garbage, if you gave me one I'd throw it away, but the Romanian imports from Centery (the WASR) are tanks. That would by far be my preference for a budget AK. Nothing is really cheap anymore; WASR's are $650-700 nowadays. The Palmetto's are living in this same price range, but I'll take the time tested true com-bloc over the newer US made gun every day of the week. Having said that, the PSA isn't a bad rifle at all, I own one and am happy with it, it's just not cheaper than a WASR anymore so why bother?

Next in line would be the WBP Fox (out of Poland) but you're getting up around $1k. After that you start going into Arsenals and then the really expensive stuff.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Riley Defense AK one year ago in May, American made, plants in SC I believe, great service and well made. So far it's worked very well, with all kinds of ammo, the only hick up came when a piece of a Winchester Pro Brass case ammo broke off and was left under the extractor.

Wouldn't allow ammo to seat, cleaned it, or so I thought with the same problem, called Riley and they called me back at 9:30 pm while I'm at the LGS and said if we can't figure it out, they'll issue a call tag and fix or replace it.

We finally found the little tiny piece of the brass case, cleaned it out and off she went.

UPdated, had to go back and look found the picture of the piece of brass that caused the rounds to not seat, until we got it home and really cleaned it you couldn't see it with all the build up on it as it was covered in black residue.

Clearly an ammo problem, not a gun issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Next in line would be the WBP Fox (out of Poland) but you're getting up around $1k. After that you start going into Arsenals and then the really expensive stuff.

There's an intermediary step, the new chrome-lined Zastava ZPAPs. Some have reported finding them cheaper than WASRs on other websites.

OP, in full disclosure, I'm a Zastava fan and looking to pick up one of the new ZPAPs myself.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current PSAs appear to be remarkably good guns for what they charge.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I stay away from the US made stuff.
WASR 10's are getting pricey, but I like them, there are better options, but you will pay more.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a new Zastava OPAP a month ago and really like it, my first AK. I had traded for a PSL and fell in love with the AK style engineering.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I just bought a PSA with Magpul grip, handguard and Zukov stock. At their price (under $700), I would buy another in a heartbeat over a WASR10. My PSA AR has been 100% (not that I have shot it a LOT) so I didnt hesitate to buy their AK when I saw the model I wanted in stock.

WASRs may have improved (I havent paid attention to them in a l9ng time) but I still remember when they were <300 POS with canted FSBs etc, and were considered the bottom of the Kalashnikov barrel.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very happy with my two PSAs, but I’m only a casual admirer of the AK in general and am not an expert. I just like to shoot stuff.

My GF3 has a little more than 1,500 rounds through it and has been perfectly reliable and as accurate as I expected. I also got an AK-E when they debuted, and I like it a lot. My limited experience with the AK-E supports the accuracy claims, but I don’t have that many rounds through it. Because I purchased the GF3 before I knew anything about COVID-19 or defunding the police, I only paid $559 and at that price it was absolutely worth it. Pre-panic price on my AK-E was almost $900.

As nice as the AK-E is, if you’re just looking for a fun AK and not planning on invading any countries or in need of what I think is PSA’s best product to date (and I say that without any sarcasm, it’s really nice), the GF3 is the one I would buy.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking about picking up an AK. It's one of those guns that "everybody ought to have one of." The biggest reason I haven't is just because I don't really want to have to deal with stocking yet another flavor of ammo.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I keep thinking about picking up an AK. It's one of those guns that "everybody ought to have one of." The biggest reason I haven't is just because I don't really want to have to deal with stocking yet another flavor of ammo.

I'm in this camp. I always find my self looking at them. Means I have to guy buy 1,000 rounds of a new Ammo.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

I'm in this camp. I always find my self looking at them. Means I have to guy buy 1,000 rounds of a new Ammo.

Drives me crazy. Wait till you decide you need a 5.45 AK as well. Used to be awesome to buy 1080 rounds for $90 bucks but now you're into crappy .223 prices. Probably 3 times in 20 years I've seen my buddies sell off their AKs to "consolidate" to 1 caliber etc only to return later. I can't do it. I just manage both. I have an approach to my Sig 220 that it's a toy/ treat for me. I don't stock ammo and mags for it cause I do for Glock 19. I excepted that but for AKs, they just don't want to be in the back seat. Big Grin

To the OP, they nailed it up top. WASR is solid. PSA seems to be a solid option about the same price. Beyond that it gets a little technical.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I use to want a AK47 now it's a AK 74 can't make up my mind,so until I do I won't buy one.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a Zastava M85(223) & M92(7.62x39) AK's I SBR'd which are fine. The M85 mags are proprietary but all my AK mags fit the M92. I've never had a malfunction from either but don't have a quality feel, even though they are built solid.

I've had a couple Arsenal SLG-95's and traded them off because of the pre-ban features, and always regretted it. Recently I bought another and put Magpul Zhukov stock set on it.
Very satisfied.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Just bite the bullet and get a Galil Ace! Yeah, they’re a bit spendy but I doubt you’d regret it.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post