SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My son's first time shooting an AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son's first time shooting an AR Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
While testing rifles today, I decided it was time to graduate him to the AR. He's 9 years old still, but he can handle it off the bench. He was definitely entertained and the ACOG made for easy hits on paper. He had a very big smile!

Although we had a full 30 round mag, we took it 5 rounds at a time.

Ideally, he needs a cheek riser.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Very neat!

My Son is eight and has a 10/22 and I will eventually progress him to an AR, but I don't know if I should start with something like an M&P 22/15, or just build a light weight AR and run a .22 conversion kit in it until he's ready for 5.56.

Does LaRue still sell their riser for AR collapsible stocks?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
M 7 year old shot my CZ 455 VPT a couple weeks back. 150 rounds later he was asking if he could have it. Got home that night and ordered him a CZ 457 Pro Varmint.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A semi-auto goes against conventional wisdom for a kid's rifle, but I take it this isn't his very first. A collapsible stock can be shortened for when they are young and lengthened as they grow. Some kind of adjustable or interchangeable stock should be offered on other youth rifles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he's been shooting a 10/22 since he was six years old and he's a crack shot with it. There was a match yesterday at the silhouette range, so it was closed. He gets bored shooting the 10/22 at paper targets at the general purpose range, so I decided to let him try the AR.

This was him last year.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
. He gets bored shooting the 10/22 at paper targets at the general purpose range, so I decided to let him try the AR.

Tony.

Yep, investing in reactive targets and some fun steel targets kept my son interested.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Here's a short video I posted on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1AFSJQgCDC/

Tony.

posted Hide Post
great job dad

some of my best memories of my dad as a kid were when we went shooting

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I think it is great to get our kids out to the range. It's a confidence builder and great for family enjoyment.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you and him. I took my son when he was younger and he loved it. Those are memories that will last a lifetime.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I bet it made a memory that he will never forget.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My son started shooting at 10 (a little late, we had just moved from a place it was hard to take kids shooting) - he did great with the CZ452 22LR and is a crack shot with it. He worked some with the SCAR 16/17s starting at 12-13 and can work ARs as well now. Did some work shooting pistols and he's average with those as the caliber increases; just hasn't spent enough time.

My daughters are doing rimfire rifle and pistols now - trying to get them shooting pistols earlier - they are already great with a 22LR / 17HMR out to 100yards.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post