SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR 15 spare parts.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 spare parts. Login/Join 
Picture of the Hudge
posted
I have been reading the comments about Sig not supporting the 556 any more and not being able to get spare parts. I called Sig and ordered the parts from the original "spare parts kit", less the spring pin and accompanying washers.
So, if I were to put together a similar "spare parts kit" for an AR 15, what parts, keeping it to a minimum, should I be considering?

Thank you.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
At a minimum I would keep a firing pin, extractor, extractor spring and gas rings on standby. I find that if I keep any more parts than that on hand I usually start building a whole new rifle Razz

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This one is pretty easy, but there are different levels. It depends on whether you are creating a field replacement kit or a "depot" level kit.

In the field (minimally):

Complete Bolt (with extractor claw, spring, ejector etc)
Firing Pin
Cam Pin
Firing Pin Retaining Pin
Extra gas rings (minimum 3 if you get the indv ones)
Lubricant

[note that if the above parts in your gun break, you will not require punches or other tools to fix/replace the broken parts-it's kind of an arbitrary line, but you have to draw that line somewhere]

For an at-home kit:

Complete BCG
Complete LKP
Crush washers for muzzle devices
Gas tube & Gas tube roll pin
Buffers (all four standard weights & A2)
Buffer Springs (mostly carbine size, might want one fixed stock spring)
Carbine buffer tube, milspec
Port door assembly
Complete charging handle assy
Complete forward assist assy

I have uppers, lowers, stocks, etc. The only thing I don't keep around are bbls and handguards (but that's only because they are expensive and because rifles tend to be built around bbl selection so I tend to buy those items when I decide what I want to build).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Prices have never been lower, buy a complete spare parts kit. Comes with a 4473. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
LLD, I think you hit the nail on the head with your "in the field" suggestion.

Now where would I go about to one stop shop these parts that combines quality and price?

Thanks.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:

Now where would I go about to one stop shop these parts that combines quality and price?

Thanks.

Sons of Liberty Gun Works
https://sonsoflibertygunworks....llections/components

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks.

My shop has all the parts I need so I'm able to source them locally.

I know that doesn't help in your situation, but I also wouldn't put pressure on myself to find them all from the same source.

If you see a good deal on LPKs at one place and something else you want from another source, don't be afraid to use different sources. Lots of deals to be had right now from Primary Arms, DSG in Texas, etc.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks.

Right now, AimSurplus has free shipping on Magpul,Spikes,BCM,Geissele and ALG products.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms had $29 Anderson complete LPKs few days ago.

edited... Here

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In the range back I have a kit that includes almost all LPK parts, a full bolt, extractor, firing pin, a bunch of small springs, a couple of buffers (more for swapping if needed than anything else) and a carbine spring.

At home I have that x 4 really.

That is part of the reason I dumped the 556 back in '09 - I figured it wasn't going to go mainstream enough and someday SIG SAUER would dump it. So I sold it and bought 1.5 x ARs.

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I went thru that last year,trying to use up spare parts,made a couple rifles.
With a barrel and receiver I could make another.
That ain't happening ,way too many in the safe already.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Prices have never been lower, buy a complete spare parts kit. Comes with a 4473. Wink

At this point in time this is actually the best answer. Having been around the m16 type platform since the early 1980's ( my first I still recall my issued rifle m16A1 by h&r sn 2216455)
Even in throughly abused military rifles very little parts breakage. Spares of all the bolt parts and trigger assembly parts should be plenty but getting those spares will probably run close to $200, when low end rifles are under 500

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sons of Liberty Gun Works is a good place as mentioned, they use and stock a lot of BCM parts (along with others). DSG is great too but I don't know who makes their in house branded parts.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The correct name isn't spare parts. It's "rifle seeds".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post