SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question on military use of iron sights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on military use of iron sights? Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted
Not sure but got thinking about this....

What portion of combat ready US Military units still use iron sights as their basic issue sighting system?

Thank and happy New Year,
Amurr

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in my day, (I'm using that less and less sarcastically sadly) I saw us move from irons to aimpoints between OIF 1 and 3. So probably most units switched over around then. Is guess about 05 or so.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the military even teaching the use of iron sights anymore?

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Is the military even teaching the use of iron sights anymore?

Yes but we all have red dots or ACOGs. I’ve only seen support folks carrying pure iron sights. For context, I’m aircrew not an assaulter or infantry. It’s uncommon but I do see some random folks with only irons. During currency shoots, we use red dots. During initial qual, we use irons.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
When my daughter went through Parris Island 6 years ago, they used ACOG's on the range. I believe during non-range training, they had carry-handles. My daughter only knows how to use irons because I taught her.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The current Army standard is to qualify on both irons and the CCO.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The British Army has has not qualified on iron sights since 1986.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how valid the depictions in the two videos are, but they supposedly show Russian “special forces” with no optical sights on their rifles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_XwzN3uKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrMMswZkolc

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
USMC units conduct initial qualification with iron sights, but then subsequent qualifications in the fleet are all with the RCO.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
My kid went thru basic at FLW in 2018. They used optics only.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. Do they still have BUIS?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post