SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Budget bolt rifles for upgrading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget bolt rifles for upgrading Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Any opinions on these three .308 rifles as far as hanging a suppressor off them? All of them would get new stocks (maybe Magpul's Hunter stock) to correct the most glaring deficiency.

Ruger American Predator: Heard that while the stock sucks (a common thread in these low-cost rifles) it's a nice rifle. Only caveat being that the barrel is kinda skinny. Maybe too skinny to throw a 10" suppressor off the end of it? Can be had for $350ish

Savage 10T-5R: Cabela's exclusive. Again, decent rifle, crappy stock. Can probably get one for around $550-575.

Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD: Really short barrel, it's a 700, made for suppressing. But the priciest of the bunch. $650ish

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest to look at the Tikka's. Eurooptics a great on line vendor usually has a few on sale.

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-rifles.aspx

XLR not the typical "V" block drop in. XLR's are "U" CNC'd for specific actions.

https://xlrindustries.com/products/element-chassis

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you'd like something cheap that would be a good basis for home improvements, check out the Zastavas. Zastava bolt actions first got introduced here (at least in any quantity) when Remington started importing them, upgrading them and rebranding them.

http://www.impactguns.com/zas-...l-trig-zm70-232.aspx

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Suggest to look at the Tikka's. Eurooptics a great on line vendor usually has a few on sale.

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-rifles.aspx

XLR not the typical "V" block drop in. XLR's are "U" CNC'd for specific actions.

https://xlrindustries.com/products/element-chassis

I listened to a podcast recently with Ryan Cleckner. He recommended a Tikka T3 from a bunch of different options.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Take a look at a Ruger American Ranch model. Barrels are shorter, around 16.5", if you're worried about hanging a suppressor off it. I have a Ranch and a Predator, pretty happy with both of them but yes the stocks and mags are built to low pricepoint.

Also very impressed with my Savage rifles. I don't think you'd go wrong there.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ruger American Ranch
Timney trigger
Magpul Hunter stock with AICS magazines (should be released within another month or two)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really it depends on what upgrading means. There is simply nothing that has the aftermarket of the 700 in bolt rifles. nothing. If you really mean a stock then I'm Tikka fan, enough aftermarket to do critical issues but not enough for real custom stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Howa has looked interesting. Low barreled action price and chassis are on the market.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I recently got a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Winchester and that thing is a tack driver.

I was looking at Savage and the Ruger American, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Howa has looked interesting. Low barreled action price and chassis are on the market.

Funny you mention that. A coworker just pointed out the barreled actions available at Brownells. They have a heavy, threaded, 20" barrel in .308. I may go that route.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Funny you mention that. A coworker just pointed out the barreled actions available at Brownells. They have a heavy, threaded, 20" barrel in .308. I may go that route.

one of my customers had one shipped in, and put it in a chassis,
looks good, he says it shoots very good,

slightly over the budget mentioned, but a nice rifle

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
All logic and restraint just went out the window. I stumbled across the Bergara HMR. Holy crap, it's beautiful!!!! Eek

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://gun.deals/product/lsi-...24-79900?mobile=true

Not .308 but I saw it and thought I would put some difficulty into your buying decision.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Thank you, but too late. Already purchased the Bergara.