SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Multiple short NFA/pistol uppers with only one pistol lower?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple short NFA/pistol uppers with only one pistol lower? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Can I own multiple pistol/NFA uppers with only one pistol lower, or should each upper have its own pistol lower?

I don't own anything less than 16" right now, but that's going to change shortly.

Clarification - I will not have any registered SBR's. All my lowers will be in "pistol" format.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
depends on who you talk to,

basically yes, you can have spares,
however every one has a different interpretation of the word intent,

as in having complete rifle lowers and a handful of pistol uppers would be an issue,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bubba - To Lymans comment even within BATFE they interrupt the guidelines differently. One thing I was told by a very nice and knowledgable person at BATFE - whatever the identified barrel length and caliber you identify on your SBR paperwork - Make dang sure you have the upper in your inventory to assemble that specific SBR....

For example - if you identify that the caliber on your SBR form is a 5.56 caliber and has a barrel length of 10.5” - make sure you have an upper that matches that criteria....It is my understanding you can have other uppers (different calibers and different barrel lengths) so long as you have what I described above....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one AR SBR lower and one pistol lower. I have uppers in .556, 300 Blackout and .22lr. I have no 16+ inch uppers at all. I think if you have one pistol or SBR lower you can have whatever you want.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your 100% good if you don’t have other ARs, you have no way of assembling an illegal configuration. Personally, I’d feel comfortable with other complete ARs and a pistol lower with multiple short uppers. It seems unreasonable a person would take apart a legally configured AR to then make an illegal version when they have a legal option available and you can only shoot 1 at a time anyway.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Your 100% good if you don’t have other ARs, you have no way of assembling an illegal configuration. Personally, I’d feel comfortable with other complete ARs and a pistol lower with multiple short uppers. It seems unreasonable a person would take apart a legally configured AR to then make an illegal version when they have a legal option available and you can only shoot 1 at a time anyway.

true,

I have spares for my NFA , 11.5/14.5/20" (it's papered at 11.5)
I keep them in the same safe as my standard AR's,

all together (as in no complete lowers, all are either stripped as in new, never assembled, ) or as complete rifles,
my NFA gun ususally wears an upper in the safe, but not always,

so if someone came in to check,, (they have not in the 32yrs I have had it) it will be obvious that there are not a pile of complete lowers and a pile of completed various length uppers to mix and match,

again, it is all about intent, or the appearance of it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post