SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Arsenal SLR-95, thoughts and opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arsenal SLR-95, thoughts and opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Looking at possibly adding an Arsenal AK to my personal collection. It's a used Arsenal SLR-95, milled Bulgarian AK. Anyone here have personal experience with this model? Likes and dislikes?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've got one. Hands down the best built AK I've ever handled. My only complaint is mine has the dorky thumb hole stock - bought it when I was in Cali back in the 90s. It's solid, 100% reliable and very accurate for an AK. The trigger pull is actually better than any normal factory AR trigger I've ever had. It's smooth and break clean and crisp.

I've thought about converting it to a regular pistol grip/stock, but haven't spent the time researching what all I'd need to do. One day...

If the price is right for you, I'd have no reservations. It's built like a tank, but refined too..for an AK.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Owned several. They are good ak's and better than us made arsenal made ones

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
First AK I bought, and the best I have ever handled. As stated the main downside is the thumbhole stock. The other is that it doesn't have a side rail, but that is a minor complaint. A no brainer if you can get it for a good price. Big second on the trigger, way too good for a combat rifle.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best AKs we can buy. Arsenal SA-93 and SLR-96 are a couple of the others.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't beat it. AK with a milled receiver and totally reliable.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I have an SA93, basically the same as the SLR95. I have "de-banned" it. It is a solid shooter, never a hiccup. I have never experienced any sort of malfunction with it. They are built like a tank. One downside, for some, is it is a milled receiver, and weighs a little more than the stamped ones. Good luck!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gents. I'm thinking I might scoop it up. It's already been converted with a standard AK stock and grip. I'll just need to inspect it to verify it's 922r compliant. It appears to have a AK-74 type break.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI, since the SLR95 has a milled receiver, only five (5) US parts are necessary for the rifle to be compliant compared to six (6) US parts for stamped receivers. Mine has the three fire control parts (trigger, hammer, disconnector) the pistol grip and the buttstock. That's probably the easiest way to go. The hand guards (upper and lower count as ONE part) could be another part if you chose not to use the buttstock or pistol grip.

posted Hide Post
I really like mine. When you remove the thumbhole stock, you'll discover that the bottom tang has been removed. Ironwood designs makes wood furniture designed for single-tang milled receivers. Mine still has the original stock but I am going to change the furniture this spring. If I cannot get a bottom tang installed, Ironwood is the way I'll go.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a bottom tang installed too. IIRC I bought it from K-VAR and had a gunsmith do the work. He also replaced the front sight base with an original one with the cleaning rod attachment. Now the rifle looks totally original the way it should. It's been years since the work was done and I can't remember who the smith was. He got into building suppressors and may be doing that full time now. Not sure if that's his main thing now. He was super reasonable and nice to deal with and is located in SC.