SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going to spend $200.00 on AR-15 - 30 round mags - Best Value for the Buck - Read More
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to spend $200.00 on AR-15 - 30 round mags - Best Value for the Buck - Read More Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Okay surefeed.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Knob Creek Machine gun shoot had new Troy mags for $6 each. I saw one guy buy 40 of them. Used GI mags were $4 to $7 at the shoot I also picked up case of brass 223 for $175.

Next shoot is in Oct and if you have never been to one you don’t know what you are missing.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
quote:
Scrounge up $30 bucks for a Maglula Speed Loader.Have fun.

I'll second that notion .

http://www.maglula.com/product...ar-15-lula-5-56-223/

Available from our own Greg Cote here.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those are all good choices

truth be told - I like to have a variety

you never know when you get a particular receiver or particular mag (or even lot of mags...) that is ever so slightly out of spec and a certain combination of mag / receiver just doesn't work 100% right

good to have options

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While not being a budget selection, Brownell’s metal mag with Ranger floor plates have functioned flawlessly for me.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Sigarms,

Excellent idea to go for the mix of magazines.

The PSA Pmag M2 x 10 magazine bundle that comes with their 5.56 mm ammo packages is probably the best route to stock up on P mags. Unfortunately, the Federal ammo rebate has ended, but it has been present from winter - early spring for the past 2 years. Perhaps the rebate will come back again later this year. Such is the best possible circumstance to stock up on some good factory ammo and P mags and to do so in quantity.

For example, spend $380 (tax included, free shipping) for 1000 rounds of Federal AE 5.56 mm (55 gr or SS109) and 10 magazines and then you apply for the rebate reimbursement ($50). Net $330.

Do the above times 2 or 3 (save your pennies this upcoming year) and you'll have a decent pile of P-mags.

Use Pmag M2 dust covers so that you can load the P mags long term, put 28 rounds in each, then store in bandoleers or in ammmo cans. You'll have a nice stock of ready-to-go magazines, which you'll be able to keep loaded and on hand indefinitely.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I understand your concern about laws and long term storage. For that reason, I also have a ton of metal mags, as we know for certain that 50 plus year old Vietnam era mags work just fine today. We don't know if 50 years from now plastic mags will still be working or if they will be brittle and break.

D&H are second tier mags (and the price reflects that). The fit and finish is not all that great. They do work.

Okay are very nice mags. The new E2 version show promise but are rather untested at this time.

Brownells magazines are very good. I place them between Okay and D&H in quality, personally.

The finest metal magazine ever made, in my honest opinion, is the Beretta steel ARX100 magazine. This magazine just oozes quality, is very heavy duty, and you just know this mag can be passed down to your grand kids. You have to buy them from Beretta directly, and they are expensive, but they go on sale several times a year for $14-15. I've recommended them highly before and everyone that buys them loves them. I'd add a few to your collection just to have them.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-...nd-magazine/c80018p/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bubbatime - Thanks for coming back to provide the additional feedback....What got my attention was your first post and the comment you made on how many rounds you have placed down range through your AR type platforms.....No better place to gain this knowledge than straight from the shooter....

I am gonna start watching for this Beretta mag to go on sale and when they do, rather than buying the Okay Surefeed mags - I am going to buy the Beretta mag in place.....

Thanks Again and hopefully Beretta will put these quality mags on sale real soon.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
You’re overthinking this imo. You want mags because you’re worried you won’t be able to get them later? With a limited budget, quantity is its own quality.

Most guys won’t be able to tell you what brand of aluminum mag they’re holding. Just buy the D&H and be done with it. The concept of “tiers” of AR mags cracks me up. I’ve got them all, and unless I look at the markings, I couldn’t tell you which one I’m shooting.

If you’ve got all you want and you just want some Lancers, have at it. However, to think somehow lancers will last longer than D&H seems like marketing BS to me and not real life.

When I shot a lot of three gun, I used the same C Products mags over and over and over. Dropped in dirt/concrete/stones...never an issue and I never cleaned them. Decent aluminum mags are tough to kill. D&H are GTG.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The finest metal magazine ever made, in my honest opinion, is the Beretta steel ARX100 magazine. This magazine just oozes quality, is very heavy duty, and you just know this mag can be passed down to your grand kids. You have to buy them from Beretta directly, and they are expensive, but they go on sale several times a year for $14-15. I've recommended them highly before and everyone that buys them loves them. I'd add a few to your collection just to have them.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-...nd-magazine/c80018p/

D&H makes all steel mags for FN as FNC / SCAR 16 mags.

They are great, but like the Beretta heavy as frack. I have 8-10 of the FN version simply because MGW got them on sale and passed them on to the consumer pretty cheap.

But I never use them (aside from the one that came with the rifle) because they work no better than D&H / NHMTG mags I own.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post