SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    UTG AR-15 Magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UTG AR-15 Magazines Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
A lot of online sources are out of stock on Magpul Gen 2 and 3 magazines right now, and a friend of mine (no, I’m not asking for myself) got on Cheaper Than Dirt (big mistake) and saw a brand called UTG. Their 30-rounders are running just under $9.00 each.

I don’t know if they’re good quality or junk, and wanted some opinions so I can let him know whether to buy or run away.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
D&H at Palmetto State Armory, sure they are $4 more than I paid a few years ago. But, I wouldn't trust a UTG mag at the range let alone my life.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t waste my time. They might work, but why take the bet?

https://www.primaryarms.com/ok...zine-5.56-30rd-black

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about their magazines, but UTG overall doesn't have the best reputation. They primary offer cheap Chinese "tacticool" accessories. Similar to brands like Tapco and NC Star.

(However, they do have a small line of US-made "UTG Pro" accessories that cost more and are reportedly better quality.)

I wouldn't take the chance. Spend a couple bucks more on better quality magazines. Magazines are important.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another vote to go to Palmetto and get some D&H Mags. The price is always right, and they are excellent mags. They're not plastic-fantastic but meet or exceed military GI spec aluminum mags. They are currently a Daily Deal til tomorrow mid day.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A short time ago, I checked Palmetto State Armory and they have:

Magpul PMAG 30 AR-15 Gen M2 MOE 5.56 Magazine - Black both window and non-window variant in stock

In reference to the link Voshterkoff posted:
Okay Industries SureFeed E2 AR-15 Magazine 5.56 - 30rd - Black

I used these (they didn't have a blue follower though) in Afghanistan along with Brownells and C-Products. For seven months plus I did my very best to abuse them to see how they would hold up and what they could handle.

It is probably the only time I will really be able to test items in field like conditions.

They were great. I few scratches and dings but they never failed, and I tried to get them to.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I don't know anything about their magazines, but UTG overall doesn't have the best reputation. They primary offer cheap Chinese "tacticool" accessories. Similar to brands like Tapco and NC Star.

(However, they do have a small line of US-made "UTG Pro" accessories that cost more and are reportedly better quality.)

I wouldn't take the chance. Spend a couple bucks more on better quality magazines. Magazines are important.

Couldn't agree more. Crap. In the early days, when I got into AR stuff, my experience with UTG and NcStar taught me all I need to know about these shitty companies. Even if the "Pro" line is supposedly better quality, I would never touch them. You don't get a second chance to make the first impression.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
please stick with quality mags

another vote for Okay brand aka 'SureFeed'

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
There are two AR15 magazines.

Magpul. And Okay.

If you want your gun to work, and have faith that your shit will work, than you buy Magpul if you want polymer, and Okay, if you want GI aluminum.

Don't waste time, money, or effort, buying other shit. If you shoot long enough, and put enough rounds down range, you will come to the exact same conclusion as I have presented above.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Magpul. And Okay.

If you want your gun to work, and have faith that your shit will work, than you buy Magpul if you want polymer, and Okay, if you want GI aluminum.

Don't waste time, money, or effort, buying other shit. If you shoot long enough, and put enough rounds down range, you will come to the exact same conclusion as I have presented above.

You must have forgot about Lancer L5 AWM mags?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
These have worked well for me and though my experience with Lancer mags is limited to my .300 BLK Tavor X95, they've been dependable.

https://www.brownells.com/maga...1=Salezz1zzClearance

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Magpul. And Okay.

Nope, I haven't. Sold my Lancers off pretty quickly after trading into some new ones. I'll take Okay/NHMTG, D&H, or Magpul only.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any lancer issues per se. But there is no question till you have a zillion Okay or D&H mags there is no point in getting other mags. That actually includes magpul since with today's pricing its a 20% premium for the plastic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Nope, I haven't. Sold my Lancers off pretty quickly after trading into some new ones. I'll take Okay/NHMTG, D&H, or Magpul only.

Did you experience problems with the Lancers?
If so, was they the new style?
If new style, what failures did you experience?
Thanks

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Here are Gen2 Pmags $10 a pop.
https://dsgarms.com/magazines-dsgfivepack01

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you experience problems with the Lancers?
If so, was they the new style?
If new style, what failures did you experience?
Had some of the originals and then some from 2-3 years ago.

Main issues were it being difficult to consistently load a 30rd Lancer loaded to capacity on a closed bolt, the general slickness of the magazines compared to others, and the price.

Doing tac reloads I had many instances of the loaded Lancer magazine not locking into place (with several AR-15s), even with plenty of 'umph' behind them, where the same force always locked in PMAGs, Okays, or D&H. They would seem to be in place but after firing the shot the magazine would fall out. I liked them up to that point, but having that issue and a slew of Okays and handful of PMAGs, I saw no reason to keep them around.

But they do look cool.

I stacked Okay / NHMTGs deep over the past 8 years - usually for around $8-9 shipped. I have a good number of D&H in circulation (they make up the majority of my training mags), some BCM and DSG Arms floorplates which were a little cheaper at $7-ish per. I do like the Gen 3 PMAGs and have maybe 30, some windowed some not - Guns Midwest had them on sale several times last year for about $11-12.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

No that was intentional. I left them off for a reason. I think they are an ACCEPTABLE magazine. They also cost 70% more than a GOOD magazine (Okay and Magpul). They have been much less reliable for me than Magpul and Okay. We have fine sugar sand and it jams up the Lancer mags. Magpul and Okay work perfect. Lancer? Jams (in certain conditions).

Out of the box, the Lancers need modified by shaving the limiter off the top of the floor plate. They shouldn't leave the factory with this limiter in place. Thats why they are a BEAR to load on a closed bolt with 30 rounds. This is improper designed, and they should not be sold in this fashion. Magpul on the other hand got it right. They leave enough room in the bottom of the magazine, that you can load 31 rounds. This extra room means a 30 round reload on a closed bolt fits and works perfect. Lancer provided instructions on a forum years ago on how to shave off this limiter, so they apparently endorse the idea.

So there you have it. I have old and new Lancer mags. They are not as good, and cost more money, than Magpul, and Okay.

Opinions are like assholes, and .... you have my opinion.

I DO think Lancer puts out a good product. I just think Magpul is better. And cheaper. And more rigorously tested.

Now try to find a Beretta steel ARX100 magazine if you want a FANTASTIC metal magazine, perhaps the best STANAG metal mag ever sold. Your grand kids will still be using that mag in 75 years.
https://www.berettausa.com/en-...nd-magazine/c80018p/

D&H mags.... are acceptable. They are cut rate 2nd class magazines compared to Okay, and well worth the extra $2-$3 to get a real deal Okay, instead of the D&H.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here are Gen2 Pmags $10 a pop.

And without any effort you can find the D&H ones for 8.99 singly and if you buy in volume less like $8. and I've been able to find them for like $7 in the past, but who knows in this current mess if that's possible right now. In any case as much as I like magpul if you are just now stocking up the best strategy is GI Al.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank Rhino and Bubba for their thoughts, evaluation and experiences. Much appreciated. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Now try to find a Beretta steel ARX100 magazine if you want a FANTASTIC metal magazine, perhaps the best STANAG metal mag ever sold. Your grand kids will still be using that mag in 75 years.
https://www.berettausa.com/en-...nd-magazine/c80018p/
FN shipped SCAR 16s with a steel magazine, very similar and well built. Also heavier... Wink