SIGforum
Range drill reference times

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1190028154

January 06, 2019, 09:09 PM
Nick
Range drill reference times
I got a Pact 3 timer for Christmas and have started using it during my range practice. Never having used one (except for matches) I’m wondering about some benchmark par times. I was doing mag change drills with my AR: at buzzer fire one round to bolt open, change mag and fire. My lowest time was 2.77, with the average being right around 3 seconds. I’m not smooth enough yet, but was wondering what to shoot for.

Also: any drills with par times you like and use would be great.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"
January 06, 2019, 09:18 PM
sigfreund
I do a lot of similar drills, but an essential element in addition to speed is accuracy. I can, for example, fire one shot, reload, and fire a second shot faster with a big, close target than with a small, far target. Just practicing shooting and reloading without an accuracy requirement doesn’t give us the maximum value for our ammunition and efforts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
January 06, 2019, 10:39 PM
Nick
I was shooting at a IDPA target at 25 yards, with A zone hits.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"
January 06, 2019, 11:10 PM
sigfreund
If you mean the center 8 inch circle -0 zone of an IDPA target and getting two hits at 25 yards and a reload in three seconds, I’d say that’s pretty good, at least based on what I can do. I don’t run any drills exactly like that, but as I recall the old original Federal Air Marshal course had a couple of stages with the handgun that required the same thing from the holster at 7 yards in 3.5 seconds. For that, though, I don’t know what the accuracy standard was. I do shoot a one-shot rifle drill at 50 yards on a 12 inch target starting with rifle muzzle down and my times are commonly 1.8 second or a little less. Twelve inches at 50 yards would be equivalent to 6" at 25, but it’s only one shot and no reload.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
January 07, 2019, 06:26 PM
hogarth
If you're looking for carbine "standards", I'd say start with Paul Howe's CSAT standards, which can be found on the top bar on his website main page:

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com