SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Flip up rear sight with regular "A" frame sight? Is there one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flip up rear sight with regular "A" frame sight? Is there one? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I have a Bushmaster AR15. I've removed the carry handle, but not the front A frame sight. I'd like to find a flip up rear sight that would work with the A frame front sight. I also use a red dot but want backup sights without take off the front sight.

I'm also thinking of installing a handrail from Troy Inductries. This one.

https://troyind.com/products/d...mid-length-m-lok-blk

or this one.

https://troyind.com/products/delta-carbine-blk

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link i have included below is the one the US Army has installed on the M4 and M16A4.

I have one that I acquired during my journey through AFG but I am not sure I shoot as well with it as I do a more traditional M16A2 rear sight.

Once things settle down I would like to purchase a more traditional (my term) folding rear sight and see which I do better with.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...sight-prod26575.aspx

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
The link i have included below is the one the US Army has installed on the M4 and M16A4.

I have one that I acquired during my journey through AFG but I am not sure I shoot as well with it as I do a more traditional M16A2 rear sight.

Once things settle down I would like to purchase a more traditional (my term) folding rear sight and see which I do better with.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...sight-prod26575.aspx

Can you use this with the exiting A frame front sight?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
With few exceptions, almost any available folding back-up iron sight("BUIS") will work with your existing front sight. That's what they're made to do. I personally prefer the Knights Armament and ARMS, Inc. models but there are endless possibilities. Magpul also makes a good cheap option.

As far as those railed handguards you have listed, you either have a mid-length OR a carbine-length gas system, the two are not interchangeable. So you need the HG that fits your gun. If it's your garden-variety Bushy from the good ol' days, I suspect you need the carbine length version.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: m499,

Posts: 2680 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
With few exceptions, almost any available folding back-up iron sight("BUIS") will work with your existing front sight.

Yep.

The only ones that won't are "micro" rear sights that are shorter than normal, or "offset" rear sights that are canted at a 45 degree diagonal angle to the side.

Otherwise, any standard flip-up rear sight will work with your fixed front sight.

My preference is Troy sights, but Magpul MBUS sights are about half the price and work just as well for most people.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I was starting to come to the conclusion you've indicated that any flip up sight would work.

The Bushmaster is probably the carbine length, It was manufactured some time between 2004 and 2007, not sure when during that time. It's post-ban and I bought it and shot it prior to 2007. The seller had purchased it and didn't really shoot it very much.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
My favorite rail for this application is the Centurion C4. It is more expensive, but their new MLOK version is a fantastic rail and will bring your gun to the current trend in attachment systems. The Troy is a good rail for sure, but options for attachments, accessories, equipment, etc will be more limited as it's a proprietary setup.

https://centurionarms.com/c4-m...il-12in-carbine-fsp/

It's the bottom rail in this photo, with an earlier Daniel Defense rail also shown in the same application you're looking to setup.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have the (now discontinued) VTAC version of that Troy Delta carbine rail on one of my 14.5" carbines. It's a quality handguard, and a great option for retrofitting a basic M4-style carbine with a longer free-floated handguard. But on both the standard and VTAC versions of the Delta rail, the attachments are proprietary, which could be a minor drawback if you want to attach a bunch of stuff to the sides of it. (They don't offer a MLOK version for the carbine yet.)

Install is solid and simple, requiring no modifications other than punching out the pin for the front sling swivel on the bottom of the front sight base.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Other than Troy Industries what flip-up rear sight would you recommend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

posted Hide Post
this is an odd post SIGWolf in the quote, but if you are asking for additional sight recommendations here are a few that I have used.
Magpul (the polymer ones are cheap and fully usable,not my first choice if you were using irons only but certainly fine for backup use). You can also get them in steel.
Troy (I like these the best since you can get the HK style).
Midwest industries. well built like all their stuff and minimalistic
those three I would call mainstream.
I have also used Bobro (very minimalist for very short rails)
ARMS (once the top of the heap but not so much, but still well built)
KAC (you don't want these for your use)
Geissle (these are really well made, but I got them since you can get them in colors to match your Geissle rail) no real advantage over the others.

There are also about a thousand other choices, just look on any major site like brownells or midway. But the above I have used extensively and can say are fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not sure where that came from or how it happened. But yes, that is what I'm asking.