SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The smallest group I've ever shot with an M14-type rifle, maybe any rifle ever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The smallest group I've ever shot with an M14-type rifle, maybe any rifle ever Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
A client of mine bought an LRB M25 from Cabela's bargain cave for around $2,500. It had a Kreiger heavy 22" barrel and a JAE-100G3 chassis.

He didn't like the chassis and wanted me to pull it and bed it into a McMillan M3A but his buddies (who shoot AR-10's) prodded him to get his rifle ready for an upcoming tactical match.

I convinced him to run with the JAE until his McMillan is on order (9 month lead time). I met him at the range today and helped him get a new high end Bushnell scope installed and we tweaked the barrel tensioner and got him on paper out to 100 yards.

He was doing well and shot around a 1" group with 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match. In the back of my mind, I knew he was a relatively inexperienced M14 shooter. I asked him if I could run few rounds through it to see what I could do with it.

After two shots, there was only one hole and the owner of the rifle was looking through the spotting scope and gasped "NO WAY!!!" Three more shots and a few more comments from the owner and we were left with a 0.433" 5-shot group.

I commented that that may be the smallest group I've ever shot with any rifle ever. To date, the best I've ever done with an M14 was my personal M25 in a JAE at 200 yards with a 1.2" group.

I had Wes Howe with me (a member on this forum but doesn't post much) and another moderator from the M14 forum. The owner of the rifle had a great time and we asked him what he wanted to do with the rifle. He's unsure now as he never expected to own a rifle that would shoot that well.

He may just leave it as is and focus on overhauling his SAI scout now. I at least showed him what the rifle could do and now he can focus on becoming a better shooter. He was pretty shocked and fired up at the end of the day.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That's AWESOME....Nice Shootin'! Cool

ETA - Just googled 'JAE-100G3 Chassis' to learn what it's all about, and why I might want one....And low and behold, 'J.Allen' Enterprises!

Of course, the very next thing(s) listed in the google search after the jallenglobal.com website were three videos by tonyben3....That's Pretty Cool too! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Don’t touch it!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The M-14/M1A is one of the guns that has intrigued me, but I've never actually shot. So many guns, so little time/money.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin! I would have loved to see a pic of the gun too.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! One last thing I told him was that whenever he shoots a group like that, the best thing he can do is pack up and go home. Call it a day. BE DONE, which is exactly what I did after shot that group!

I e-mailed the owner and asked for some pictures. I'll post them when I get them.

It looks exactly like mine excepts his is dark green and mine is coyote brown.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's outstanding! I was digging the groups you posted with the M21 DMR in the other thread. A shooter like that, no way would I pay $ to re-stock it. I wouldn't touch it, it is working.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That is super nice! I also agree that the owner shouldn’t do a damn thing, other than practice.

I’ve been working for a long time on a very similar setup:

LRB M25 w/LRB bolt
22” heavy Krieger 1:10
Vortex flashhider
SEI match rear sight
JAE G3 stock
Welded gas cylinder/band (by Cepilot)
Wolfe GLAFS w/match front sight
Sadlak spring guide and piston
Trigger group tuned by Charles Maloney

I’ll likely be inquiring with you to install the op rod guide on the barrel in the near future. I don’t have the necessary tooling for that.

I’m only waiting on the stock and (eventually) a US Optics scope with Atlas bipod. A Windtalker suppressor (likely) would come even later.

I’d be thrilled to get groups even close to that one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin! The last example of a M1A that I fired was a friends money pit of a rifle. Stainless match barrel and many other custom parts, he was having issues with a scope mount. We did figure out the fix and moved to 200 yds for a zero check. I got behind the gun with his 168 SMK hand load and fired 5 into 3/4". Had to be a fluke of nature, my bolt gun can do it, but this thing just amazed me. Sadly, he sold that rifle before I had a chance to make an offer. I test fired another recently that needed some benny6 attention. 2 1/2 " groups at 100 yds.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is a rifle you just leave the heck alone.

Nice shootin' Benny!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, that is a rifle you just leave the heck alone.

Nice shootin' Benny!

Absolutely, no touch! Congrats on a great touch on that trigger.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Here's the only pic he took yesterday while I was installing the scope.

Tony.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Quick, smear Lock Tight on everything!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. I wouldn't touch a thing on that rifle. Nothing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You make magic with m14s. I am very impressed.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
You make magic with m14s. I am very impressed.

Thanks for the kind words!

My next project is a precision SOCOM. My Criterion 16” barrel should be here Monday.

Tony.