SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trade a Sig 556 for a new Arsenal SLR 106F?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trade a Sig 556 for a new Arsenal SLR 106F? Login/Join 
posted
Just like the title states, I have the opportunity to trade my lightly used and very upgraded Sig 556 Swat Patrol for a brand new Arsenal SLR 106F. I've never owned an AK before so any input on the trade and the rifle in general would be greatly appreciated.

I don't shoot the Sig very often and would be fine trading it off since it is no longer supported. I have several AR15s so I'm good there. So what would you guys do?

Question:
Trade the Sig 556 for the AK?

Choices:
Keep the Sig, it is still a good rifle.
Go for the AK, time for something different.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Variety is the spice of life! I love my Saiga AK!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'd do that deal and not think twice.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have both and SLR 106F and an early SIG 556 SWAT.

I would give up the SLR 106F before the SIG 556. I think the SIG is a better rifle.

I know a lot people are incensed because SIG USA does not build the 556 anymore, but there are parts available out there in the unlikely event that you will ever need them. At any rate, according to their website, Arsenal has discontinued the 106 series as well.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Keep the Sig. Sig makes great rifles solid and accurate. I own a 556XI which close to an AK action as I would want to get. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
In this case, I'd take the Arsenal.. rather quickly.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the SWAT models but CAR seems to be the voice of reason being that he ownes both ... personally I'd keep the SiG. If memory serves me, SiG had worked out the bugs of the new models ... its nearly a wash except you are trading for a rifle that is less adaptable.

In the end its your rifle, but the AK a from premium manufacturer.

quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
I have both and SLR 106F and an early SIG 556 SWAT.

I would give up the SLR 106F before the SIG 556. I think the SIG is a better rifle.

I know a lot people are incensed because SIG USA does not build the 556 anymore, but there are parts available out there in the unlikely event that you will ever need them. At any rate, according to their website, Arsenal has discontinued the 106 series as well.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
In terms of asking prices, it's probably (IMHO, at least) and even trade with the slight advantage in value going to the Arsenal. The only potential downside is finding mags at a price you can live with.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

in a heartbeat

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like more are saying to go for, so who am I to go against the crowd here. I'm going for the trade. The AK comes with 3 30 round crappy ProMags, and a Magpul grip and buttstock in addition to the Arsenal included furniture.

Might be fun, now I just need to do some research on adding a rail so I can put an optic on it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
Looks like more are saying to go for, so who am I to go against the crowd here. I'm going for the trade. The AK comes with 3 30 round crappy ProMags, and a Magpul grip and buttstock in addition to the Arsenal included furniture.

Might be fun, now I just need to do some research on adding a rail so I can put an optic on it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

use this one from ultimak, excellent. add a PSA redot and don't look back. have had on a 5.45 for years with never an issue. fun times.

http://www.ultimak.com/m1-b.htm

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You might also take a look at the Attero rail. They bolt in as a replacement for the rear sight.

http://www.atteroarms.com

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware that some of the Arsenal SLR 106's had serious problems and did not chamber rounds with great reliability. Sending it back to Arsenal did not guarantee it would work when returned. The only mags that work are the Polish Beryl or the Circle 10 Waffles. If they function they are great guns. Just my $.02. Good Luck

Edit: My post is in reference to the SLR 106 only that is chambered for 5.56 NATO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ercarr,

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ercarr:
Beware that some of the Arsenal SLR 106's had serious problems and did not chamber rounds with great reliability. Sending it back to Arsenal did not guarantee it would work when returned. The only mags that work are the Polish Beryl or the Circle 10 Waffles. If they function they are great guns. Just my $.02. Good Luck

Geez, imagine an Arsenal (Bulgarian) AK with problems that the (so called) manufacturer can't address! I mean everyone knows that Arsenal makes the very highest quality AK on the market. That's why folks pay such big bucks, right?

We used to buy (5.45x39) Romanian AK's (Intrac II's / Ratmil) for $217.00 ea. delivered (in lots of five). These "bargain basement" rifles shot like a champ with any magazine! And that was after we milled out the mag well opening to accept the hi-cap (standard 30 rd.) mags.

As I like to say about Arsenal products: "You may be able to buy a better AK; but you'll have difficulty paying more money for it".

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I own both and the first to go would be the SIG 556. IIRC SIG no longer supports the 556's.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it's a moot point, the guy backed out of the trade. Oh well, I will hold on to my perfectly functioning 556 a little longer I suppose.