SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shot my first M1 Carbine yesterday....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my first M1 Carbine yesterday.... Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted

I guess this is the right way to begin, eh? Literally, my first mag ever through the platform in this video. Took me longer to fill out the Form 4's than to shoot the ammo I brought along to my SOT's farm.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That'll do. Big Grin

I love M1 Carbines. They're one of my favorite rifles. And a M2 Carbine is something I'd love to have. A local dealer had one for $6k about 10 years ago. I drooled over it, but couldn't afford it. Frown

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what did the target look like?? Big Grin

Very cool.

That was pretty much the perfect 'jungle gun'. Light / low recoil. Designed for close range. Carry a ton of ammo. Reliable.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
That was pretty much the perfect 'jungle gun'. Light / low recoil. Designed for close range. Carry a ton of ammo. Reliable.

A number of Brits certainly thought so. Plenty of photos of British soldiers using M1 and M2 Carbines in Burma during WW2 and in Malaya in the 1950s.

The French also put them to good use in Indochina.

They were still somewhat popular during Vietnam among US soldiers and our South Vietnamese allies.

Even ol' "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf carried one in Vietnam.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to shoot an M1 Carbine years ago when my roommate bought one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never had the chance to fire an M2 though.

I can't think of the M2 Carbine without recalling a story my father told me shortly before he passed.

He was a young Army Private assigned to an anti-aircraft missile battery and his unit was stationed on Long Island. It was a Friday afternoon and the unit's brand new Lieutenant had ordered the men to complete their firearms range qualifications, after which they had all been approved for an off-base Weekend Pass. Most of the men had been issued M1 Carbines, however my father received the unit's only M2 Carbine. Their orders were that all rounds were to be fired in semi-auto only.

The firing range was literally on the beach and their targets were set up in front of a sand dune as a back stop. As my father was getting ready to fire on his target a seagull landed right next to it. Apparently temptation got the better of the young Private and he selected Full Auto and did a mag dump on the seagull.

Apparently the new Lieutenant didn't have a sense of humor... Weekend Passes for the entire unit were cancelled.

Nicely done PGT! Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun! My M1 obviously doesn't have the giggle switch but it is still one of my favorites to shoot.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, PGT. Very nice. Is it a registered receiver or registered hammer pack?

quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I had the chance to shoot an M1 Carbine years ago when my roommate bought one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never had the chance to fire an M2 though.

I can't think of the M2 Carbine without recalling a story my father told me shortly before he passed.

He was a young Army Private assigned to an anti-aircraft missile battery and his unit was stationed on Long Island. It was a Friday afternoon and the unit's brand new Lieutenant had ordered the men to complete their firearms range qualifications, after which they had all been approved for an off-base Weekend Pass. Most of the men had been issued M1 Carbines, however my father received the unit's only M2 Carbine. Their orders were that all rounds were to be fired in semi-auto only.

The firing range was literally on the beach and their targets were set up in front of a sand dune as a back stop. As my father was getting ready to fire on his target a seagull landed right next to it. Apparently temptation got the better of the young Private and he selected Full Auto and did a mag dump on the seagull.

Apparently the new Lieutenant didn't have a sense of humor... Weekend Passes for the entire unit were cancelled.

Nicely done PGT! Wink

Great story. I'm guessing that didn't make him popular with the others in his unit for some time.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Congrats, PGT. Very nice. Is it a registered receiver or registered hammer pack?

Registered receiver. Its a commercial Iver Johnson with an M2 kit on it. It was flawless with Tula, PPU and S&B ammo across all five brand new KeepShooting 30rd mags I brought with me. I also bought an M50 Reising that didn't fare so well...a weak mag spring was the culprit (need to order some mags from KSA).

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I love the M1 Carbine, they are great fun, and learning how not to get cheated when buying one is half the fun. Also necessary.

I had 5, or was it 6 at one time. Whittled it down to just a Rock-Ola. I kinda still want an IBM.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yep....its crazy how much the prices vary. I looked at a late war Inland that other day that the shop wanted $1250 on. Considering I paid half that for a year older Inland back in June, I was a bit incredulous at their asking price.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I kinda still want an IBM.

I plan on buying an IBM someday. Most of the parts for IBM carbines were built at the IBM facility in Endicott, NY, where my father worked ~40 years later. He says they had a number of presentation M1 Carbines on display in the main building.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently temptation got the better of the young Private and he selected Full Auto and did a mag dump on the seagull.

Now see....he's not alone. The M1 Carbine was my old man's favorite small arm on the ships he was on as an officer. His last sea duty ended in '86 before he got a desk job in DC and retired. I've been after a carbine for this reason...so he and I can go shoot it. Figured an M2 was a good investment.

I took him out shooting last summer...first time he'd been in decades. I set him up on the bench with a bone stock Daniel Defense AR15...he asked me "is this thing a 22?" "Yes dad...pretty much". "Back in my day, if it was 30 cal, you didn't trust it. You haven't lived until you've shot seagulls off the fantail with a BAR...."

So...our fathers think very much alike! LOL.

quote:
Nicely done PGT! Wink

thanks!

posted Hide Post
Funny coincidence, I ran into a buddy of mine yesterday who bought my first M1 Carbine back in 1997, I think? I paid $200 for it in 1994. it was an Inland from Arlington Ordnance with the Blue Sky import mark. My God was that thing fun. If I could talk to myself from the past I'd say "Keep it. In 2004 the ban will sunset!"

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I kinda still want an IBM.

I plan on buying an IBM someday. Most of the parts for IBM carbines were built at the IBM facility in Endicott, NY, where my father worked ~40 years later. He says they had a number of presentation M1 Carbines on display in the main building.

I have an origional WWII IBM M1 carbine. It's a private import and there is a stamp on the bottom if the barrel. I don't know how many rounds went through it, but the rifling is missing from all but the last few inches of the barrel. It still holds minute of man at 100 yards, but just barely.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Recent estate auction. Several M1, M1 Carbines and two Johnson 1942 rifles. The Johnsons went north of 3 grand. There was an IBM carbine but rough shape. Picked the National Postal Meter for 8 bills. Nicest one I have found to date.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love me the M1 and M2 carbine. I have an almost OG Winchester WWII bring back. Early flip rear sight, high wood, tubes over springs, blued barrel etc... and a National Postal Meter with all the late war and post war fixes.

Dad qualified on one in the US Air Force in 1965. One of my Police Science instructors carried a M2 when he was CID in Saigon during the dust up in Vietnam.

Nice snag to the OP and have fun with her!!!!

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My first purchase at age 18 was an M1 Carbine. I've owned and enjoyed shooting three. Wish I still had them. Wish CMP would find a bunch and bring them back with ammo to match.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Just had mine out at the range this evening. Love that gun!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Great story. I'm guessing that didn't make him popular with the others in his unit for some time.

Honestly, he didn't say and I didn't ask. I got the impression the other soldiers on the range thought it was funny at first, but I'd guess you're right and that changed pretty quick when they lost their passes.

You'd have to know my Dad to really understand how this story struck me when he related it. He had told me some fairly serious stories about his time in the Army and he was a fairly straight-laced guy and fairly disciplined...not one to buck authority or disobey orders. But, every once in a blue moon he was given to good-natured fun and joking and I guess this was one of those times. Funny how you can listen to your Dad's stories all your life and think you know them all, and then out of the blue he will tell you a story that you had never heard before. I sure do miss him. Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post