SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shot my first M1 Carbine yesterday....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my first M1 Carbine yesterday.... Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Apparently temptation got the better of the young Private and he selected Full Auto and did a mag dump on the seagull.

Apparently the new Lieutenant didn't have a sense of humor... Weekend Passes for the entire unit were cancelled.

Now see....he's not alone. The M1 Carbine was my old man's favorite small arm on the ships he was on as an officer. His last sea duty ended in '86 before he got a desk job in DC and retired. I've been after a carbine for this reason...so he and I can go shoot it. Figured an M2 was a good investment.

I took him out shooting last summer...first time he'd been in decades. I set him up on the bench with a bone stock Daniel Defense AR15...he asked me "is this thing a 22?" "Yes dad...pretty much". "Back in my day, if it was 30 cal, you didn't trust it. You haven't lived until you've shot seagulls off the fantail with a BAR...."

So...our fathers think very much alike! LOL.

Good for you for taking your Dad shooting! And thanks for that visual of shooting seagulls off a fantail with a BAR. Made me laugh. Smile

I've got a family member with a BAR...hmmm, might have to see if he is up for a little seagull hunting. Big Grin

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Another one here with much love for the M1 carbine. It was the first rifle I ever shot / learned to shoot on. Spent many a summer day at my grandfather's place out in the middle of the Mojave Desert as a kid. Back in the day when it was ok for a grandparent to give their grandson a rifle and a few boxes of ammo and told "just over that way and watch out for rattlesnakes." Good times.

Still have that M1, as well as 2 IBMs I picked up from CMP. They're about due for a range trip, may have to take one next time out.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Its a great rifle. I'm not sure why I never considered one long ago when they were plentiful and cheap. I have a second USGI Inland that's in an aftermarket Para stock. The rear sight is loose enough that it falls out...need to figure out how to secure it.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Its a great rifle. I'm not sure why I never considered one long ago when they were plentiful and cheap. I have a second USGI Inland that's in an aftermarket Para stock. The rear sight is loose enough that it falls out...need to figure out how to secure it.

The rear sight shoud have at least gwo stake marks in the rifle side of the sight dovetail. If it doesn't then thre is very little holding the sight in place.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Oh no, this one has been messed with. You can clearly tell its had a file down the dovetail. This will need extra-ordinary help to fix...staking it won't work. I'm thinking a set screw under the sight through the body or I've seen a writeup about using thin tin sheets under as proper mil-spec repair (field expedient)

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post