SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Ruger PC 9mm carbine, are they reliable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ruger PC 9mm carbine, are they reliable? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I really love mine. It goes to the range with me almost every time I go. It feeds all my Glock magazines, but doesn't like the 33 round Korean magazines. Every now and then I get a FTF. Glock mags run 100%.

Accuracy is good out to 100 yards on the 10" gong.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
So the ruger or an AR in 9mm?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Yup. However, based upon past experience Ruger likes to discontinue their 9mm carbines after a few years and the looks of the ruger aren't well my favorite.

A Colt AR 9mm, 32 round magazines, PLENTY of options to modify it. Has been made for decades. I've shot one, they're a great gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

This is a good question. I have both, I really don't need both, and I'm trying to decide which one to let go.

The Ruger was G2G right out of the box, fed everything I gave it, is quite accurate, and has a suprisingly nice trigger. It is very heavy, feels plastic-y, and is admittedly rather ugly. The real issue, though, is it's a pain the clean, requiring an Allen wrench to remove the receiver and bolt from the stock, and you have to torque them down really tight to keep them from working loose, which kinda scares me for the long term that the threads will strip out. And you do have to clean it, because being blowback it gets FILTHY!

My 9mm AR, a cheap PSA build, was a problem from day 1. I had issues with doubling, out of battery discharges, and an out of spec bolt that chewed up an FGC. Some time with a Dremel, a new FCG, buffer spring, and heavy extended 9mm buffer have resolved these issues, but it was a bit of a journey to get there, and involved some scary days at the range when the gun decided it wanted to be an MG and blew brass up in my face. That gun also doesn't have LRBHO, which the Ruger does.

At the end of the day, I find myself taking the AR to the rage more than the Ruger. It's easier to take down for cleaning, and allows me to practice with a platform similar to my patrol rifle on the pistol-caliber only range at my club. Is it a better rifle? I don't think I'd say that, but it's more suited to my needs. If I was going to do it all over again I'd probably not get either and save up for something that's not straight blowback, like a CMMG Guard or an MPX.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post